PDA

View Full Version : Really Inspirational, motivational and Beautiful Music?

TheShadow
30th Sep 2006, 09:15
Just reflecting upon the fact that although many tunes have appealed to me over the years, I have the poorest memory for recalling later what the name of the piece or album was (and most times, even the performer). We own a home with stereo piped to every room and have never used the system in over 9 years - mostly away or too busy. I have a massive broadband capability (60GB) but I've only ever downloaded a few tunes for somebody else. The rest of the time it just never gets used - particularly now that my boys have left home and moved on.

Perhaps somebody on PPrune has a suggestion for some music downloads (classical or otherwise). I might add that there is so much crud music around that I rarely switch the radio on except for the news. As far as tastes go, I don't really have any - but I do appreciate beautiful music.

lexxity
30th Sep 2006, 09:17
Nimrod (Enigma Variations) - Edward Elgar. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed.

phnuff
30th Sep 2006, 09:32
Its not exactly downloads, but there are thousands of 'web only' radio stations around the world which we regually listen to (pc plumbed into our hifi). Have a browse around them. Even the US (which I used regard as having all of its culture on the supermarket yoghurt shelf), has some wonderful classical stations.

Personal favorite www.solopianoradio.com

rotated
30th Sep 2006, 11:07
Have a listen to Michel Camilo-Spain, fantastic guitar blows me away every time.

Also Camille Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 Organ on Telarc with Christian Badea and the Royal Philharmonic will make your hair stand on end... :ok:

G-CPTN
30th Sep 2006, 11:22
Once compiled the music agenda for MY funeral. Have forgotten it all since. Realised that I wouldn't be there (!) and family are atheists.
Don't give a F:mad:K now what happens. It's THEIR funeral . . .

Keygrip
30th Sep 2006, 11:38
"Popcorn" (by Hot Butter)??????

(Just teasing - got coat already (dog walk time))

Flash0710
30th Sep 2006, 11:51
Try One Dove

Especially Fallen.....

luv

f

AcroChik
30th Sep 2006, 18:46
J. S. Bach, Suite for Solo Cello, no. 1, in G major, as performed by Jurnjakob Timm, on the Berlin Classics label.

It's heartbreakingly graceful, utterly transcendental, played by an inspired virtuoso, and as the piece develops you'll say, "Oh, I've heard this theme before."

BigEndBob
30th Sep 2006, 22:31
Gustav Holst-The Planets suite.

Was given this as a child, as the record was going to be thrown away.
Always been a favourite.

White Hart
30th Sep 2006, 23:58
Try Ralph Vaughan Williams "The Lark Ascending", and follow it with "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis".

Its the (classical) Dog's B's - and from a British composer to boot!:D

GrumpyOldFart
1st Oct 2006, 01:27
Pachelbel's Kanon, by George Winston.

Beautiful.

BeechNut
1st Oct 2006, 01:42
I'll put in a vote for Gregorian Chant. For a novice to the format, I suggest the music from La Nuit de Noël (Christmas night Vigils) from the monks of Solesmes http://www.solesmes.com. You'll have to get the CD though, I doubt you'd find it for download anywhere.

For anybody with a taste for Latin and having the slightest belief in the Almighty, or just even the mystery of creation, the lyrics are very inspirational. (in my case, too many hours of staring at Quebec's lakes and forests through a single wee fan up front in a landplane, makes me reluctant to take chances with eternity...). To bring tears to your eyes, listen to the chanting of the Genealogy of Jesus from the Gospel of Matthew...

I must admit I'm biased as I sing in a choir that specializes in Gregorian Chant and I regularly worship at a Benedictine monastery where I can hear it live. Admittedly it's nicest in its proper liturgical context (especially if you're in the middle of the choir!), but even just to relax by, it's very pleasant and I'll often listen to it at work. I also use it to stay awake (!) in the car, because I find that chanting along with the CD makes me more alert, but I gather that doesn't apply to those strictly listening, where the opposite effect may be a problem!

Beech

Go Smoke
1st Oct 2006, 01:46
Bruch's violin concerto No.1 - Ishikawa or Tamsin Little

'Musiques' by Pierre Bensusan

'No Sant' - Wasis Diop

Anything by Nat King Cole

'Kicking Television' by Wilco

Broad and varied but all top notch.

Ditto Nimrod Enigma Variations and Holst Planet Suite.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 01:46

Beautiful.
Daughter plays that on her cello! :ok:

Try this version for entertainment - the story behind the player, Lim Jeong Hyun is amazing too:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9c9_1HcAFk&mode=related&search=

Bluesteel705
1st Oct 2006, 02:28
Beethovens Piano Concerto No. 5 (The Emperor) Beautiful, beautiful music.
Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85 by Elgar. This piece represented, for Elgar, the Angst, despair, and disillusionment he felt after the end of the War, and an introspective look at death and mortality. It was a significant change in his style, as he wrote much of his previous works to be noble and jovial, inspired by the English way of life. But its still bloody beautiful :ok:
The Unanswered Question by Charles Ives, one of the most under-rated American composers.
And you could do a lot worse than have a listen to 'Chevaliers de Sangreal' from the Davinci Code soundtrack. Very uplifting and possibly one of the most inspired pieces of music in Mr Zimmers career.
And finally one of my favourite pieces of music ever written Mozarts Gran Partita. Simply breathtaking :ok:
Feel free to Pm me if you want me to send you a copy of any of these.

Loose rivets
1st Oct 2006, 06:55
If you want to hear some real jazz, listen carefully to a good rendition of the Moonlight's third movement. It does take someone like Walter Gieseking to play it well enough to bring out the stunning syncopation. Frankly, some of the renditions from some of the more modern performers leave me cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncopation Mmmm...think that's what I'm getting at.

Has to be said, that it was largely my failure to master this movement that made me give up the piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gieseking

Earthmover
1st Oct 2006, 08:37
White Hart I'm completely with you on that :D

Plus almost anything by Eric Satie

Cheerio
1st Oct 2006, 10:01
Sorry to lower it to popular music, but 'Fruit Tree' by Nick Drake from the Album 'Nine leaves left'. Hearing it always leaves me sad for a wasted young talent who failed to defeat his personal demons and was not recognised adequately in his own short life.

H Ferguson
1st Oct 2006, 11:31
Nimrod (Enigma Variations) - Edward Elgar. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed.

if there was a piece of music to accompany a Spitfire in flight this would be it.

RaraAvis
1st Oct 2006, 12:50
Paganini Centone di Sonate, Op.64, No.2 - Adagio

Paganini Violin Concerto No.2 in B minor, Op.7 - Rondo

J.Massenet Thais Meditation

B Fraser
1st Oct 2006, 13:37
Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni - Adagio in G minor. Baroque and roll man :cool:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Parts 1, 2 ..... the whole damn album in fact.

Genesis - Afterglow. If that doesn't get your stuff going, your stuff isn't working.

TBirdFrank
1st Oct 2006, 14:32
August Bank Holiday - two pm - stand on the knoll at Onslow Park,Shrewsbury and watch the parade of steam come in two abreast to Land of Hope and Glory - a pure showstopper

But to pick one track, one composer, one act - just can't do it . Fleetwood Mac and "Tusk" - keep still to that - or as someone has already said Vaughan Williams especially accompanying time in the mountains - magical.

The soundtrack to all our lives - and Yesterday plays on the radio as I type!

Curtis E Carr
23rd Apr 2008, 21:18
Miserere Mei Deus by Gregorio Allegri

Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x71jgMx0Mxc) and Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZ0K8vCdbo).

Keef
23rd Apr 2008, 21:29

Beautiful.
I prefer Pachelbel's Canon, by Pachelbel ;)

Beethoven's Violin Concerto

Bach B Minor Mass

Mozart Clarinet Concerto (K622)

Elgar Cello Concerto

Mahler Symphony No 2

I could go on ... and on ... and on ...

Windy Militant
23rd Apr 2008, 21:42
I'm with Phnuff on this one. The best piece of music is the one you've yet to hear. I scrabble about listening to various shows on various radio stations.
I miss the late great John Peel who used to take me out of my usual comfort zone and lead me to some wonderful music, mind you as he or possibly his long time producer John Walters said, you have to listen to a lot of Sh**e, but every now and again you'll hear something really wonderful. :D

S'land
24th Apr 2008, 08:31
A great selection so far, I have all of the "classical" pieces mentioned. How about adding "Music for the Royal Fireworks" by Handel and Beethoven's Sixth Symphony (Pastoral)?

603DX
24th Apr 2008, 10:04
How about:

Borodin's Polovtsian Dances - this is so exciting, don't listen if you have a heart problem

Mozart's Requiem - quite sublime

"Play Bach" - any of these brilliantly 'hip' adaptations of Bach's works by the Jacques Loussier trio

Parapunter
24th Apr 2008, 10:12
Curtis, Definitely the Misere, fantasticly evocative music. Did you know that a young Mozart transcribed it in his head from a visit to Rome aged 5 - in those days, the Roman Catholic church would cut your head off for copying relgious music.

IainB
24th Apr 2008, 10:12
Hanry Wood's Fantasia on Sea Songs, or anything from the second half of the last night of the proms.

Digital stereo, turned up very loud and annoying the neighbours. **** 'em, they annoy me often enough..

Sallyann1234
24th Apr 2008, 10:42
Some great music listed there, I agree with most of the choices. But am I the only one whose enjoyment has been ruined by over-exposure? As a kid I loved the Four Seasons and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, but after years of having them shoved down my ears as music-on-hold and played on Clasic FM every time I switch it on, they have begun to lose their magic. Oh, and Rodrigo's Guitar concerto for the same reason.

Rather be Gardening
24th Apr 2008, 11:48
Harvey's 'Concerto Antico', John Williams playing guitar. Beautiful music and an amazing performance.

Kerosine
24th Apr 2008, 11:53
Lots of classical music fans on here!

On similar lines, Thomas Newman composed the scores for a few films (American Beauty, Meet Joe Black, Road to Peredition, Horse Whisperer etc) best songs for me are 'Any other Name' from American Beauty and 'Whisper of a thrill' from Meet Joe Black.

I would strongly recommend getting these (PM me and I'm sure I can help you out ) as they are truly amazing pieces of music. Turn it right up, close your eyes and let it take you away.

That and Adagio for Strings are my favs.

Parapunter
24th Apr 2008, 12:06
I personally find John Barry a great listen, very evocative of movies (funnily enough), my youth & better times. Just coming off classical for a moment, Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss is a fantastic record - real music, real musicians.

macdee
24th Apr 2008, 21:15
My offerings:

Grieg -' Solveigs Song 'and also 'Death of Aase' (very haunting)from the Peer Gynt suite

delibes- Lakme Flower Duet Particularly the version by Erica MiKlosa and
Bernadette Weidemann (Google -'Lakme flower duets') for sample on Youtube. Wonderful singing.

pigboat
24th Apr 2008, 21:48
if there was a piece of music to accompany a Spitfire in flight this would be it.

Don't know the name of the piece, but it was surely written for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMRl57t1aU) Hawker Hunter video.

Wingswinger
25th Apr 2008, 07:31

No - that would be William Walton's Spitfire Prelude and Fugue.

Try Fingal's Cave from Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture - takes me to The Minch mentally everytime I hear it.

Edited to add:

Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot sung by the late, great Luciano Pavarotti

Almost anything sung by Bryn Terfel, especially Shenandoah. What a voice.

Canol Lan, Hen Wlad fy'n Hadau and Myfanwy by any top-notch Welsh Male Voice Choir

I have to agree about Ralph Vaughn William's Lark Ascending - beautiful - so utterly English Pastoral. Try also his variations on Dives and Lazarus and his English Folk-Song suite.

10bob
25th Apr 2008, 11:41
Some great suggestions, but the most inspiring, most motivational and beautiful piece of music is, in fact:

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla

You'll recognise it from various TV shows (including Planet Earth). Download it now and, for good measure, the rest of the album it comes from (Takk).

FlyMD
25th Apr 2008, 12:48
- The prisoner's choir from Verdi's Aida (va pensiero su'll agli dorati...) always brings a shiver to my spine
- Agree on Mozart's Requiem: makes an atheist believe he's hearing angels..
- On the same note, just finished listening to a CD by the Oslo Gospel Choir. Traditional Scandinavian songs and hymns beautifully arranged and sung with great conviction.. b-e-a-oooootiful..

polecat2
25th Apr 2008, 13:52
Mulligan's "Theme from Band of Brothers" is a very moving piece. Katherine Jenkins sang it at the Festival of Remembrance as "Requiem for a Soldier".

ford cortina
25th Apr 2008, 14:36
Pink Floyd, Dark side of the Moon, The Wall, The Division Bell and as already said Wish you were here

Roger Waters, Pro's and Cons of hitchiking, Amused to death

Crowded House, Woodface

Anything by Peter Gabriel

Steely Dan, Aja

Jeff Waynnes Musical War of the worlds

Mirage962
25th Apr 2008, 16:48
Another vote for Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending and Mozart's Requiem. Ravel's Pavane pour une Infante Defunte is also a really beautiful piece for piano. Other suggestions would be....Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto (especially the allegro appassionato), Saint-Saens' Sonate for clarinet and piano, the Andante from Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23, Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Harp...and a really beautiful piece of sacred vocal music, The Lamb by John Tavener. :ok:

Hobo
25th Apr 2008, 16:58
Lick My Love Pump. Nigel Tufnel. Spinal Tap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5dnVlbKgoM&feature=related

Lick My Love Pump: Nigel's life work. (RL) Mozart and Bach (Mach)-influenced arrangement under development "for a few months now" when Nigel is interviewed by DiBergi in 1982 for "This is Spinal Tap." Part of a musical trilogy the guitarist was working on in D Minor, "the saddest of all keys." The piece would later appear on his solo album, "Nigel Tufnel's Clam Caravan." The guitarist envisioned "Lick My Love Pump" as the first part of a four- or five-hour work to be played by a full symphony orchestra. The theme would be evolution. "We were fish, and then the fish crawled out on the beach, and he became a monkey. Then the monkey, he went back into the water, because it was too hot. Then he started developing gills-like a fish-and started swimming in the ocean. Then he came back out again, and was then just a monkey, and then a man, and then a monkey again, I think, and then a man. So it's based on that." (GP) On the commentary for the Special Edition DVD, Nigel reported that he was still working on the piece. "It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."

TimmoWhakatane
29th Apr 2008, 00:56
haha still chuckling at Hobos post....

One of my all time favourite bands, the Cinematic Orchestra released and album called Ma Fleur recently- The first track, called 'Build a home' is a beauty....

ihoharv
29th Apr 2008, 01:27
actually an old Anglican Hymn I believe.

Several on YouTube - this is my favourite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuZdVE_nEI

Especially poignant for me. I left the UK close to twenty years ago as an angry person - I had grown to vehemently dislike the country - a long & not terribly relevant story.

But i have to say this piece, without exception, always drives me to tears. Either I'm growing to be a silly emotional ol' bu**er, or maybe I should be planning to return...!

S'land
29th Apr 2008, 10:17
Agreed it is a beautiful piece, but as someone who also left the UK twenty years ago I think that the images that it conveys are really in our minds. The do not exist any longer in reality, if they ever did.

However, here are the original words and an old Rugby version (clean for a change).

I vow to thee, my country—all earthly things above—
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

And there’s another country, I’ve heard of long ago—
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

I Vow to Thee My Country (Spoof)
Unknown lyricist

I vow to thee my country, place my heart in your marbled hands,
Lift St George's flag fluttering, above proud Twickenham's stands,
Sweet lord, the foe in host come gather, a haka to perform,
This new white jersey's lovely, I hope it won't get torn.
My lord, Tuigamala's thighs are hefty, and his chest is very broad,
You mean he's on the left wing side? Oh sh*t, oh my bl++dy lord.

Dear England, I place my body - firmly upon the line,
And hope like hell I don't get rucked by Richard Loe this time,
Geoff, my liege, I prithee sir, please say a prayer for us,
as we ride for Twickenham, upon that big white bus.
I vow to thee my country, I'll take the sprigs with pride,
As the Black Blanket washes over us, I'll feel strong inside.
I'll stand up and be counted, take Olo and take Sean,
I vow to thee my country, oh sh*t, my jumpers torn!"

Ace Rimmer
29th Apr 2008, 13:07
Ulp always brings a lump to the throat that...At FIL's planting a few years back we carried him out to that (FIL was something of a war hero DSO 2 bars, MC & Bar - you get the picture)

Arm out the window
30th Apr 2008, 02:28
Now, these classics are all fine, but if you want to bypass all those boring preludes and non-essential yawn-inducing parts, get Jive Bunny's 'Hooked on Classics'. It's got all the good bits, and a toe-tappin' disco beat to boot.
See, I know about art.

Fliegenmong
30th Apr 2008, 03:55
Um, has anyone mentioned the crew of the Ark Royal singing "Roger Whittakers "For you are beautiful?" :{

Slasher
30th Apr 2008, 04:17
Inspirational
L7 - Masses Are Asses, Sh!tlist
Confederate Railroad - I Like Women on the Trashy Side
ACDC - Highway to Hell

Motivational
Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte
Iron Maiden - Aces High
ACDC - Highway To Hell

Beautiful
Monty Python - Traffic Lights, Medical Love Song
Derek & Clive - Dear Little Flo
JJ Cale - Cocaine
Joe Walsh - I Like Big Tits
Troggs - Wild Thing

LordGrumpy
30th Apr 2008, 05:47
Mozart 40
Always look on the bright side of life

There are many more that will have similiar effect.

parabellum
30th Apr 2008, 06:00
Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves is good, the way it rises and falls, suits aviation.

I thought the crew of Eagle coming back to be decommissioned on the flight deck singing Rod Stuart's version of 'Sailing' was very moving, only ever saw it once:sad: