PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Hours

High-Bypass
29th Sep 2006, 13:01
I was just wondering, half a page to go till i go for logbook number 2, how many total hours do you normally accrue per logbook, or does it depend on the type of work you are doing? Is there an average figure you can go on to work out if you've been getting good hours or not?

OzExpat
30th Sep 2006, 06:53
I hope this thread isn't a wind-up because it sure sounds like it. Indeed, judging by the number of "views" it has attracted, I'm not the only one to have my doubts. However, on the off-chance that it isn't a wind-up...

does it depend on the type of work you are doing?
Yes, of course it does. Remember too that your first logbook also contains all your initial training. This might be extremely relevant to your next question, if you weren't in full time training.

Is there an average figure you can go on to work out if you've been getting good hours or not?
The answer to this will largely depend on your definition of "good hours". There is no such thing, however, as an absolute average figure, which is what I think you're getting at. The only arbiter is the maximum flight time allowed by the regulations. Anyway, without intending to sound especially glib, if you divide your total actual flight time by the number of years represented in the logbook, you'll come up with your annual average hours. I'm not at all sure why such an explanation might be necessary...

High-Bypass
30th Sep 2006, 08:22
Ozy,
Excuse me for sounding dumb and insinuating a "wind-up", as the sole provider for a young family i have spent a few years in the industry, then taken jobs for a few years, outside of aviation and am finally reaching the end of the logbook and wondered what effect the time off really has been on my career.

Just a Q i had, Ozy, thank you for your time, everyone else, thank you for justifying my decision to move O/S :mad:

mattyj
30th Sep 2006, 21:52
congrats on filling up one!! and well done for putting your family first..I have done the same thing recently and it sure hurts living with both feet on the ground:sad: But the pay packet in a real job sure helps.

It took me about 2/3 of my first logbook to get to 1000..mostly parachuting and short sector charter work. No instructing though:ok: