PDA

View Full Version : TV Weather Forecasts

red3
29th Sep 2006, 13:08
This topic is on Jet Blast because I am ANGRY!!

I suppose it should be debated on a more calm and sensible forum but I suspect I am not on my own on this subject.

The standard of weather forecasting on TV is appalling (BEEB the worst by far). Apart from being far less accurate than it was before computers and satelites the dumbing down is downright insulting. You hardly if ever hear meteorological terms like depression, front, occlusion etc. as they obviously consider the general public to be complete morons. As for the new wandering map technology, it is puerile.

Having said all that, my biggest gripe is that we almost-

NEVER SEE A CHART!!!!!

One of these days I,m going to throw my f:mad:g beer at the screen!

Hope I've started a savage thread.

cessna l plate
29th Sep 2006, 13:16
Why are you getting mad? Have they ever been any use.

Remember this current forecast format come from the people who brought you "Don't worry Mrs Bloggs, I can assure you there will not be a hurricane" 5 hours before the roof of her house got ripped off!!

:ugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Sep 2006, 13:20
You hardly if ever hear meteorological terms like depressionwouldn't that be on a medical programme?

tony draper
29th Sep 2006, 13:21
I disagree,not about the presentation, but the short term accuracy has improved greatly,ie one or two days ahead they generaly get it pretty right,any further foreward and I would say tiz no better then it was twenty years ago.
As for the dumbing dowm,well thats true for all TV programing.
:rolleyes:

ORAC
29th Sep 2006, 13:28
I can still remember a WRAF student, Jill K********ck, doing the Wx brief in front of a synoptic chart: "And you can see here where the strong winds have pushed all the lines close together".

I don´t think they aim the weather at the few that can read one. But I am sure they´ll sell you one if you want one.....

Dave Gittins
29th Sep 2006, 13:32
Can't say I agree with even the short term accuracy - although wouldn't say it was worse than 20 yaers ago ... just not any better.

Last weekend was forecast to be somewhere betwen wet and miserable, wet, and miserable. I forget which day was suppost to be "best".

As it happened, we spent both Saturday and Sunday afternoon in glorious sunshine around the pool watching the Gatwick Outbounds. Certainly not what was forecast.

This morning's forecast on Radio 4 has suggested thunderstorms in the SE this afternoon and tomorrow being showery with Sunday being wet and miserable.

Lets see what happens.

180backtrack
29th Sep 2006, 13:39
I used to like the early World Service TV weather forecasts where you'd get the forecaster standing in front of a map of the world telling you it was going to be cold in the arctic regions, warmer close to the equator and "if you're going anywhere near the rain forest, take a brolly."

green granite
29th Sep 2006, 13:39
Hmmmm the main weather I agree But the weather on our local Beeb (look East) allways has a pressure chart on show, but frankly with the net who needs it shown on TV? plenty of places show one, here for example (http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html) and you can study it for as long as you like.

Parapunter
29th Sep 2006, 13:41
Those of us who watch it hawk-like prolly know how innaccurate it really is. What gets my goat is the medium term forecasts - we all know that weather is immensely complex on the global scale, so why try to forecast it five days ahead?

The Beeb for example often shows three different forecasts for the same day depending on whether you look at Ceefax, TV or the internerd. I've driven the length of the country to go gliding on the strength of BBC forecasts only to spend two miserable pisswet days in a tent before coming home with a deadly case of man-flu. Grrr!!

Low Flier
29th Sep 2006, 14:41
Concur that there's been a systematic dumbing down by the Beeb.

Not only are the synoptics replaced by that curiously over-precise rain graphic, but words like "front" seem to have been made verboten and are replaced by "band of rain". I get the impression that if the presenters ever dared to use grownup words like occlusion, inversion, or Föhn Effect, they'd be fired.

Worst of all is the strange imposition of what I call the spurious indefinite article.

Whenever they use a word which a begins a with a consonant, they a nearly always prefix that word a with a completely irrelevant "a". Know what I a mean? It a seems to have a started with the a weather bimbos and then a spread to a the a mainstream a news a broadcasters. It a pisses me a right off.

Then there's the spurious rising inflective? That's when every statement is spoken as if it's actually a question? It drives me nuts? It seems to have started with the Californian valley girls? Then spread to the equivalent brainless Ozzie tottie? Then spread like a virus to the Brits? That pisses me off too?

Still, things could be worse. Look at that Hispanic bint on CNN. Her strategy for weather contingencies such as rain seem seems to be to dive into a pie shop. As a result, she's padded like a country armchair and her arse easily obliterates entire oceans and continents when she waddles in front of weather maps.

Bring back Michael Fish and Ian McAskill!

VFE
29th Sep 2006, 15:07
Daniel Corbett on the BBC is brilliant! There was a thread about this loopy nutter a while back on here....

VFE.

Low Flier
29th Sep 2006, 15:34
Why does he use so much redundant language?

Why not simply say "overnight" instead of "during the night time hours"?

Why not simply say "noon" instead of "noon time"?

Why not simply say "morning" instead of "morning hours"?

Parapunter
29th Sep 2006, 15:42
That rising inflection gets on my tits full stop. Rory McGrath calls it the Moronic Interrogative & it implies the listener doesn't understand the question.

Anyway, back to the topic. Who wants a tenner that Alan Partridge is based on Rob McElwee???

Krystal n chips
29th Sep 2006, 15:51
Why not simply say "morning" instead of "morning hours"?

Probably because he is yet another example of being a real person ( not some TV airhead ) as well a being part of a long line of British "eccentrics" ( used as a compliment btw ) who know their stuff, irrespective of the topic and are entertaining as well. Bet a met. lecture from him would be well worth listening to.

This, in contrast to the unsurpassed arrogance of one S." I am a tv weather presenter and so terribly clever and you, the public, are just stupid little people so I have to be as patronising as possible when I present the forecast" Lloyd. :mad: Every time, never fails. :ugh:

frostbite
29th Sep 2006, 15:52
But the weather on our local Beeb (look East) allways has a pressure chart on show

I must look out for that! Would that be behind Julie?

I used to like Jim Bacon but now I resent him being brought on to give Julie a day off.

Must agree, forecasts don't seem to be much better than before - only time they seem to get it right is when weather is really settled and they can almost say 'same as today'.

Example recently - Tuesday forecast - Dry Wednesday, then rain for next four days. Made arrangements based on that and not a ferkin drop for about 10 days!

Coconutty
29th Sep 2006, 15:53
What gets my goat is when they call it a "Forecast" but spend the first half telling you what the weather has been like the previous day / night - which I already know about :
" Overnight there were severe storms and heavy rain in the region " - Yeah I know - it woke me up and the shed roof lying upside down on the back lawn is a bit of a clue - So what ?
Why didn't they FORECAST it LAST night so I could go bang some more nails in ???? :(

Great entertainment value on my local Beeb though - they have a "presenter" ( You can't really call her a weather forecaster ) named "Shuffle the Ozone" ( or at least it sounds something like that ). She tries to be professional but often loses the plot. Her "forecasts" are so [email protected] that we try and spruce them up by playing games like "Guess how many times she will say "err" ( Which is similar to the "Spot the smile" competition in Eastenders ).
24 "errs" in 5 minutes is the record so far I think :ugh:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

allan907
29th Sep 2006, 16:11
You hardly if ever hear meteorological terms like depression, front, occlusion etc. as they obviously consider the general public to be complete morons.

That's because they are.

In these parts we only get 2 weather forecasts a year; one in October which says "It's going to be hot and dry for the next 6 months", and one in April which says "It's going to be cool and wet for the next 6 months, unless otherwise in which case it will continue to be hot and dry".

Tolsti
29th Sep 2006, 16:11
I perferred the Two Ronnies version:

Barker: "This is today's weather forecast It will be dry in Rye"

Corbett: "Cool in Goole"

Barker: "And those of you living in Lissingdowne are advised to take an umbrella"

Krystal n chips
29th Sep 2006, 16:15
I perferred the Two Ronnies version:
Barker: "This is today's weather forecast It will be dry in Rye"
Corbett: "Cool in Goole"
Barker: "And those of you living in Lissingdowne are advised to take an umbrella"

True, but then one Mr Paxman went and delivered the best forecasts ever along the same lines :ok: :E

Coconutty
29th Sep 2006, 16:31
"...... Today there is a 50 per cent chance of rain"

Really ? - So it will DEFINITELY either rain or not rain :rolleyes:

... and why do the Met. Office only quote 30% or 40% PROBabilities of whatever :confused:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

Gingerbread Man
29th Sep 2006, 16:34
What gets my goat is when they call it a "Forecast" but spend the first half telling you what the weather has been like the previous day / night - which I already know about :

It's called a postcast, and it's far more accurate (not to mention simpler) than a forecast. The thing that annoys me was summed up beautifully by Billy Connolly, when he was talking about bad language and said that there was no such thing, just as there's no such thing as 'bad' weather. "Sun good, rain bad - they should shoot those b*****ds! There isn't any bad weather, there's just the wrong clothes."
Why do they hate rain so much, or snow for that matter? At least weather is more exciting in the winter.

Ginger ;)

phnuff
29th Sep 2006, 16:38
Thinking back to the days when I was a young phnuff, I recall seeing the weather complete with barometric charts, occlusions etc. and it formed a real part of my understanding of how weather works (as far as my understanding works). Now, its missing and I think the forecast is worse for it. I don't think I would have the same level of understanding that I have were I growing up now. I do agree that is generally more accurate now (although if I want an accurate forecast, I use met-office.gov.uk rather than the beeb)

colmac747
29th Sep 2006, 17:02
You hardly if ever hear meteorological terms like depression, front, occlusion etc

Yeah, or my favourite Polar Low:8

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 17:21
I can still remember a WRAF student, Jill K********ck, doing the Wx brief in front of a synoptic chart: "And you can see here where the strong winds have pushed all the lines close together".
That is a truly beautiful and clever way of thinking of it! I shall use that myself from now on . . .

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 17:24
I would say tiz no better then it was twenty years ago.
That bloke Draper has a formidable memory. I can't remember what the weather was like twenty years ago!

Impress to inflate
29th Sep 2006, 17:31
I live and work in the north east of the country, yes Aberdeenshire not Newcastle. I fly offshore in CRAP weather to rigs that have cleaning girls giving us the rig wx. The good ol Beeb have dumbed down the wx to the level of a four year old. Most days north of Edinburgh doesn't get a look in. As for isobars ( has it been discovered that they no longer exist) do not appear with the associated fronts. The new wx presenter, Darren, in the evenings looks and behaves like he has just come off the QVC Chanel (watch him and tell me if I'm wrong) Aaaahhhhhh What next, wind speeds in m/s.

Buster Cherry
29th Sep 2006, 17:40
Personally couldn`t give a monkeys what forcasts they are dribbling out. Plenty of decent Av websites with accurate info.
As long as the Sky team keep me dribbling over my Cornflakes, I`m a very happy bunny. :E
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41014000/jpg/_41014499_burke_aventis_203.jpg

Foss
29th Sep 2006, 17:45
I recall Mr Humphreys on the R4 Today programme recently.
'Now the weather. It might rain. On to sport'.
I nearly choked to death on a piece of toast laughing.

Weather forecasts for sailing are even better. You can wait with the patience of a lobotomised headcase for 27 pages to scroll past to your region and get a few pixels of your area'.
You can get a weather fax, put it in your pocket and get a sodden lump of damp goo in a about 5 secounds.

Or go down to the marina and ask a lifeboatman on the quay.
'It's windy, about a five. An easterly. Might get stiff in a couple of hours. It's around 1002, but it's dropping a wee bit.'
They are good.

Mostly I look out the window.
Fos

Ozzy
29th Sep 2006, 18:11
Why not simply say "morning" instead of "morning hours"?It also happens in aviation as pointed out famously by George Carlin:

"Somethin’ else we have in common, flying on the airlines, and listening to the airlines announcements. And trying to pretend to ourselves that the language they're using is really English. Doesn't seem like it to me.

Whole thing starts when you get to the gate. First announcement, "We would like to begin the boarding process." Extra word, “process”, not necessary. Boarding is enough, "We'd like to begin the boarding." Simple! Tells the story... (http://www.writers-free-reference.com/funny/story086.htm)"

Ozzy

VFE
29th Sep 2006, 18:37
Ivor Moore - the old Look East weatherman - grumpy old git at the best of times, leading up to xmas 1997....

"Here we have a photo of a shopping centre, people shopping, Christmas festivities...... not interested"

:}

VFE.

howflytrg
29th Sep 2006, 18:46
Ask any Brit in the high-street what the Jet Stream is and they may even hazard a guess at a sports car design. Ask a yank and they will give you the mean position of the PFJ of STJ depending on the time of the year. Why??? Because of a great channel called........wait for it......the weather channel, catchy eh? Whenever i'm in the US it is a pleasure to watch because it gives me an idea of what to expect for the day ahead.....and they have pretty grahics just like the BEEb. Just you can understand the US ones!!!! And they even have synoptic charts!!!!!!!!! Things really are better state side,well somethings at least.

Buy the way what are those 'grey areas' supposed to be on the BEEB weather? The hand of god coming down upon us? :eek:

Maybe they should just stick to telling me what to wear.....depending on whether or not they have any fashion sence. Hey thats it!!! Get Trinny and Susanna to present the weather.
Quick get me the Programming director's number!:ok:

None of the above
29th Sep 2006, 20:21
Plenty of synoptic charts (forecast and actual) available here:

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/charts/index.html

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

N o t a.

PS I think the rot set in at the BBC when it was decided to have weather "presenters" in the team as well as Met Office Forecasters.
Apologies if this point has already been made. (In a bit of a hurry.............)

Widger
29th Sep 2006, 23:23
None makes a good point. Went down to the West Cundry recently and saw Dave Braine giving the forecast on Spotlight. How refreshing he was, must be something to do with being an ex Navy Metman!

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 23:40
YEARS ago a (school) girlfriend of mine was recruited to present the weather on (local) ITV. She was reading for her degree in Geography at the time, but she was a blonde with big t!t$. Wonder why she got the job?

Parapunter
30th Sep 2006, 07:43
Oddly enough, an old school friend of mine reading a Geography degree was recruited to read the weather by the Beeb. She was Ginger with big tits & still does it too. I bumped into her after years apart & she made an obseration:

You're very brown, are you a farmer?

:mad: :eek: :uhoh: :mad: :mad: :confused: :ugh: :ugh:

Foss
30th Sep 2006, 12:27
I know a ginger weather girl working on TV.
She crashed a go-kart on top off my speedy machine with me in it crunched into a verrry small ball . It then pished petrol all over me. So that's showers, and I then prayed it wouldn't be getting hot and sunny.
Then I got hosed with foam, that's snow. Then I peed myself with fright, that's drizzle. Shouting 'you stupid effing ginger ********* **** at least get out of the ****** kart you're breaking my ******** neck' That's the storm front.
Then had a beer with some guys, pressure decreasing, blue skies ahead.
Fos

None of the above
30th Sep 2006, 14:58
A similar thread was started 05/2005.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175039&highlight=weather

Views broadly similar to those expressed here.

Peter Gibbs gave the nation the briefest of views of a synoptic chart a few weeks ago.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen him since..............
One suspects an early morning 'visit' might have occurred.

B Fraser
30th Sep 2006, 15:42
Real forecasts are done at 500Mb with terms such as "advection", "warm conveyor" and with reference in winter to the 528 decameter isohyet (it's going to snow).

The blokes presenting the weather on telly look as if they should be wearing grey slacks and serving the canapes in First. The women look like HR rejects on happy pills reading out a horoscope with numbers.

Luckily for the viewing public, I didn't get through the screen tests. Perhaps it was because I had a Roger Melly moment and said "The Atlantic chart looks like a zebra's @rse so tomorrow is going to be shite for flying". :confused: