PDA

View Full Version : Controversy

woolyalan
29th Sep 2006, 10:19
Any topic that will spark fierce debate welcome.

NB. any claim must be backed up with evidence.

I will start:

Ghandi was a racist! - While a lawer in south africa the guy hated 'koffirs' or black people, he was an advocate of anti-racism... for indians.

Dalai Lama was an oppresive dictator! - While in power in tibet, the lama class of people lived in utter oppulence and the 'commoners' whom he controlled had to obey his every whim.

Mother Theresa was a crazy lady who never really helped people! - She went to places like Hati, and took money from the ruling warlord that he robbed from the Hatians, and used it to set up missions. Her 'Hospitals' were not built to help, they were built to give people a place to die, nothing more. She said herself that she sees god in the broken body, basicaly meaning that she let people suffer so she could be with god. Also, her charity is the ONLY indian charity that does NOT allow the public to view their accounts.

Ill find more evidence on these later, in the mean time, watch Penn & Teller: Bullshit! season three i think the episode is called Holier than Thou.

...puts on helmet, kevlar vest, locks doors, and hides in a panic room...

The SSK
29th Sep 2006, 10:28
Troll alert

tony draper
29th Sep 2006, 10:28
Nowt controversial about that Mr W,tiz common knowledge,huggy fluff idols have feet of clay as do the other kind.
:rolleyes:

woolyalan
29th Sep 2006, 10:35
SSK
Just trying to get a debate going, thats all, each of my statements have been previously proven to be true, the only reason this would seriously anger people is because the three have been idolised for reasons that aren't really true. If it turns out that my statements are totally wrong ill happily retract them.

The SSK
29th Sep 2006, 10:47
SSK
Just trying to get a debate going, thats all, each of my statements have been previously proven to be true, the only reason this would seriously anger people is because the three have been idolised for reasons that aren't really true. If it turns out that my statements are totally wrong ill happily retract them.
I'm sure they are 'correct', the thing is, do you feel personally aggrieved about the misconceptions surrounding them, or are you just sh1t-stirring?
You did say you were expecting flak, just obliging.

BenThere
29th Sep 2006, 10:55
Everyone has foibles, thus so do world's great luminaries. It's not what they do wrong that counts, but what they do right.

Churchill is probably the best example. Often intoxicated, stubborn to a fault, resistant and hostile to any viewpoint not his own, rude, etc. etc. But it was his indomitable spirit, undaunted courage, conviction in his views, and ability to inspire the resistance of the free world to stand up to Hitler's evil at all cost that made him great.

woolyalan
29th Sep 2006, 10:56
Fair enough i suppose, but yes, it does frustrate me sometimes that some people will worship somebody for a misconcieved truth. I should have expected this really, oh well, me the fool i s'pose!

BenThere
History has a great way of clouding the truth

AcroChik
29th Sep 2006, 10:59
Fortunately, you'll grow out of that and then fill your week dating hot chicks instead of hoping for a perfect world.