PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exam

brad11
29th Sep 2006, 06:47
Hi,
I am going over the sample PPL questions at the CASA website and one question has got me banging my head up against a brick wall.

"Which of the following is a likely reason for a yaw to the right during the take-off roll in a single-engine aeroplane fitted with an engine which rotates in a clockwise direction when view from the cockpit?"

I also came across the same question in the Bob Tait Practice Exam.

I cannot remember or access the answers for the question.

To the best of my knwoledge, assuming clockwise prop rotation,
Slipstream creates a yaw to the left
Torque - left
Assymetric blade - left yaw
And Gyroscopic effect - left

Any help is apprecited.
Brad

AirSic
29th Sep 2006, 13:13
Could I suggest that the gyroscopic effect is to the right, not so noticable on the roll, but on the rotation point.

Effect on the "bottom of the disc",- 6 o'clock position, is for the disc to be "pushed forward", translate that 90 degrees - 9 o'clock position force push to the right, i.e. right yaw.

If that makes sense.

I stand to be corrected.

witwiw
29th Sep 2006, 13:26
gyroscopics on rotation are a definate possibility...

if its included in one of the answers- wind from the right hand side causing the plane to weathercock into the wind (ie yaw to the right...)

andrew495
29th Sep 2006, 14:18
if its included in one of the answers- wind from the right hand side causing the plane to weathercock into the wind (ie yaw to the right...)

i definately agree with witwiw. when i did ppl practice exams, i got that question once or twice, and the answer was wind from the right, it won't be any harder than that. ;)

kookabat
29th Sep 2006, 14:32
What about 'too much right rudder by ham-fisted (footed?) student'?

:}

mingalababya
29th Sep 2006, 22:00
Hi,
I am going over the sample PPL questions at the CASA website and one question has got me banging my head up against a brick wall.
"Which of the following is a likely reason for a yaw to the right during the take-off roll in a single-engine aeroplane fitted with an engine which rotates in a clockwise direction when view from the cockpit?"

It's not one of those questions where the correct answer is "none of the above" is it?

witwiw
30th Sep 2006, 08:29
also could be a sticking right brake... maybe even a flat tyre...

chances are it would be wind though, which should be one of the listed answers.

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Sep 2006, 09:06
During takeoff roll is not at rotation so that narrows the field a bit. P effect,torque and slipstream which all move the nose to the left for a clockwise rotating prop.

pall
30th Sep 2006, 09:44
Remember that often the correct answer is missing. You are then asked to provide the MOST CORRECT answer out of the available choices. This can really do your head in at times. :suspect:

AirSic
30th Sep 2006, 10:18
What are the choices available as answers?

chode1984
30th Sep 2006, 12:18
Its Definately due to Xwind from the right if that is an answer. I remember doing that Q too!

milkbottle
30th Sep 2006, 21:10
when in doubt pick c!!