PDA

View Full Version : UK Road Accident Causes

ORAC
29th Sep 2006, 07:06
The Times: Only 5% of drivers who crash were breaking the speed limit

Motoring groups have questioned the value of speed cameras after police figures revealed that only one in twenty collisions last year was caused by a driver breaking the speed limit.

The most common cause of accidents was failing to look properly, a factor in 32 per cent of crashes, followed by failing to judge another vehicle’s speed (18 per cent) and driving carelessly or recklessly (16 per cent). The figures, published by the Department for Transport, contradicted claims by speed camera supporters that speed is a factor in one third of collisions. Travelling too fast for the conditions was a factor in 12 per cent of all crashes last year, but none of these involved drivers breaking the speed limit. Speed was, however, more likely to be a factor in more serious crashes. About 12 per cent of fatal collisions involved a driver breaking the speed limit......

The RAC Foundation said that information on the causes of collisions, which police began recording only last year, indicated that speed cameras could address only a small part of the road safety problem. More than 1.9 million speed camera fines were issued in 2004, up from 340,000 in 1997......

The number of road deaths fell by less than 1 per cent last year, to 3,201. The number of traffic police in England and Wales declined by 11 per cent between 1996 and 2001, the last year for which figures were available.

There were 560 deaths last year in collisions involving a driver over the alcohol limit, down from 580 in 2004, but still 100 above the figure recorded in both 1998 and 1999. The decline in the number of traffic police meant that fewer breath tests were carried out, down from 816,000 in 1998 to 578,000 in 2004......
-----------------------------------------------

So drink driving kills nearly twice as many people as speeding, but while the number of speed cameras, and fines, goes through the roof, the number of traffic police goes down.

And they say it isn´t about money........

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2006, 07:30
I'll give it a day at most before a certain contributor joins in this thread to tell us that the stats are incorrect, we know nothing and he knows all.

The name is in this brown envelope..... any guesses? :hmm:

allan907
29th Sep 2006, 07:36
Trouble is if we name and shame then he won't post - just to be awkward. However, I've put his name in my own brown envelope and I'll declare when he pops up. :E err.....it's not me is it? No, definitely couldn't be !

Mr Lexx
29th Sep 2006, 08:27
ME! :hmm: maybe not...

Sailor Vee
29th Sep 2006, 09:08
Could it begin with bj.....?

Whirlygig
29th Sep 2006, 09:15
Well one of the biggest factors in road accidents (although unproveable) is tiredness which can have the same detriment to reaction times as being drunk.

....as for a well-known contributor ... I can only offer evens on a post within the next 8 hours.

Cheers

Whirls

29th Sep 2006, 09:38
police figures revealed
Only 5% of drivers who crash were breaking the speed limit

But which police?,
but they might not have had all the information,
but, maybe they were biased
but...
but...

candoo
29th Sep 2006, 10:03
I blame it all on the increase in buldozers around at the mo

Squealing Pig
29th Sep 2006, 10:46
About 12 per cent of fatal collisions involved a driver breaking the speed limit......

I notice they say 'Involved' rather tham 'Caused'

SP

woolyalan
29th Sep 2006, 10:49
yep, it might be that the village drunk stumbles in front of an oncoming wagon :o... but then he caused it... hmmm... erm...

...ah yes, a drunk driver is the last person to plough into a 3+ car pile-up :) he didn't cause it but was involved

lynchburglemonade
29th Sep 2006, 11:44
Talking to a friend who is a traffic cop one of the highest incidents of minor to major accidents (ok this is going to get sexist so sorry in advance) is young men looking at young ladies walking down the street on a warm summers day in something that my mother would classify as a "belt", worn as a skirt!! High heels and showing a good set of legs

I kid you not! I have seen it happen before too.:}

But alot is error on the driver I agree with that, mainky the Bimmer drivers in my experiance who think they own the road and everyone has to guess their way around a roundabout, positioning not good and no idicator! So how would you guess which exit they would take?:*

M.Mouse
29th Sep 2006, 12:02
But alot is error on the driver I agree with that, mainky the Bimmer drivers in my experiance who think they own the road and everyone has to guess their way around a roundabout, positioning not good and no idicator!

If you wish to make crass assertions at least try to make them in English.

lynchburglemonade
29th Sep 2006, 12:24
least try to make them in English.Fair point M Moouse but English is not a stong point for me. Why waste words when you get the gist of it?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
29th Sep 2006, 12:41
The Times: Only 5% of drivers who crash were breaking the speed limit
so therefore you are saying that it would be ok for at least 19 out of 20 people to drive at 159 mph on the M1 :8

Gingerbread Man
29th Sep 2006, 16:45
Talking to a friend who is a traffic cop one of the highest incidents of minor to major accidents (ok this is going to get sexist so sorry in advance) is young men looking at young ladies walking down the street on a warm summers day in something that my mother would classify as a "belt", worn as a skirt!! High heels and showing a good set of legs

I don't think that's sexist, it happens to me all the time. I remember ABSing to a stop at some red lights a few years ago after being held in a state of suspended animation due to some girl at a bus stop who was irresponsibly dressed (not to mention being rather easy on the eye). A friend of mine actually drove into someone whilst staring at a girl, but fortunately his car was encased in a protective layer of mud and he did no damage to the other chap.

I'd be interested to see how many people who weren't paying attention to the road were in an average speed check area at the time. It certainly could harm your concentration when you could be set back £30 for doing 32mph. I just wish people were taught how to drive properly. Think of the way you drove when you were a learner, and then imagine that some people may not advance from that stage for the rest of their lives. Also, it is possible to pass your test and then not drive for years. Yet you are allowed to jump back behind the wheel whenever you please. Imagine that being applied to flying!

Ginger ;)

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 18:39
Neither my Mother (nor my Father) took driving tests, having 'qualified' before there WERE tests. Mother WAS a competant driver, and had been a taxi-driver for her father's business (AND owned her own motorcycle in the 1930s), but later in life her concentration 'wandered' (especially when the car was filled with 'girls'). She demolished a street lamp less than thirty yards away from our home (apparently it jumped out at her as she was addressing her friends in the back), and as she got older she drove less and less (which was part blessing and part a liability).
Father had been in the Fire Service, and 'knew it all'. He wasn't THAT bad a driver, but didn't take kindly to rules and regulations introduced after he had started his driving career. ("We didn't do that in MY day.")
I once came upon him (by chance) parked on the 'vee' between motorway exit road and the main carriageway (WITH the caravan attached) whilst he consulted the map to see whether that had been the exit that he wanted. (!)

I have to say that his 'accidents' were very few. He'd knocked-down and killed an intoxicated man who wandered into the road during 'the black-out' (WWII), and in the late 50s he crashed head-on into a (foreign) 'gentleman' who cut across his path into a gateway ("Me come here every Friday night!") which I believe was not my Father's fault. Travelling as a passenger with him was a cringe-making experience, however.

I can recall my first driving lesson on my 17th birthday (in a 1950s Humber Hawk) and getting 'kangaroo petrol'. I was shouted at "DON'T DO THAT!" without me having the slightest idea what had caused the phenomenum.

They are both no longer with us, so the roads are marginally safer, but no doubt their place has been taken by many others (who HAVE passed a test).

PS I hold a Class 1 Heavy Goods driving licence, for which I took NO test, having qualified by way of 'grandfather rights' (ie I was driving heavy trucks, including artics, before they introduced the test).

Flash0710
29th Sep 2006, 18:46
What are the stats for blowy related dings?????:E :E

rgds

f

Widger
29th Sep 2006, 23:27
I can see the stats going up. I like to think that I concentrate quite well when driving however, under duress from Mrs Widger, bought one of those TOm Tom thingies.........my God....what a distraction. Several times I have found my attention wandering off the road for too long.

Far better to learn to read a map, plan your route and drive. These things are a menace!

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 23:32
Far better to learn to read a map, plan your route and drive.
That's exactly what I do! Trouble is I bought a BIG map, and I have difficulty seeing the road!

con-pilot
29th Sep 2006, 23:53
Get a portable GPS, they are getting real cheap.

I love it when the lady says, "You missed the turn, recalculating new route."

Then a few minutes later.

"You missed the turn, recalculating new route."

Then finally.

"Reenter destination or enter new destination please."

(I don't have any problems with the blasted things in airplanes, but in a car,,,,,,)

ormus55
30th Sep 2006, 00:21
i find it most amusing, when my scouse son in law argues with the lady in the tom tom.

you have to be there i suppose?
:D

Loose rivets
30th Sep 2006, 01:23
That's exactly what I do! Trouble is I bought a BIG map, and I have difficulty seeing the road!

Hee Hee The mental image:ok:

ORAC
8th Oct 2006, 08:39
The Observer: Speed cameras 'don't stop rogue drivers' (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1890321,00.html):

The rise of speed cameras is to blame for an epidemic of uninsured, unlicensed drivers, senior Tories have claimed as they launch a campaign for tougher jail sentences for rogue drivers.

Motorists find it too easy to drive without insurance now that traffic laws are more often enforced by cameras than by human traffic patrols, shadow transport spokesman Chris Grayling said. And he blamed the rise in 'hit-and-run' accidents - up 30 per cent since 1997 - on the increasing number of drivers reluctant to stop after a crash because they are not legally entitled to be on the road. When the Commons returns tomorrow, the Tories will try to amend the road safety bill to increase the sentence for deliberately fleeing the scene of an accident to a maximum of 14 years.

Grayling's words came as John Redwood, head of a policy commission appointed by Tory leader David Cameron to examine economic competitiveness, called for a cull of speed bumps. The Tories will also campaign for stiffer sentences for those who call for help but do not wait for it to arrive - often because they are drunk - which would leave them subject to the same penalty as anyone convicted of drink driving. They also want those who repeatedly drive without insurance to have their cars crushed, and uninsured drivers to be automatically disqualified.

The government yesterday insisted there were more traffic police than before, and that new technological advances, such as the ability to check a numberplate against the DVLA database to establish whether a driver was registered, had made the roads safer. However, research in London, obtained by the Lib Dems last week, showed that up to one in eight drivers in the capital should not be on the roads, and that illegal drivers were nine times more likely than others to crash........

Jinkster
8th Oct 2006, 09:22
I'm sure its an ATCO that says 'recalculating' for no reason at all :E