PDA

View Full Version : Excel - What Really Happened ?

rabbit1
28th Sep 2006, 20:35
Does anyone one know why flight XLA252V was delayed over 24 hrs followed by sitting on the runway for over 2.5hrs. We were supposed to fly on 1.9.06 from Manchester to Tenerife but actually departed on 2.9.06. We were also flown back to Manchester, flight number XLA253V on an Air Italy aircraft with Air Italy crew ?

Can anyone finally enlighten me ?

Buster Cherry
29th Sep 2006, 16:35
Find it very hard to believe the airline did not tell you what the problem was given it being a 24hr delay.
It would seem an obvious problem with the unit which was scheduled to take you to paradise(sic) & I suspect lack of availible aircraft within their fleet & the unavailability of any sub-charter aircraft at the time.

airchabum
29th Sep 2006, 21:01
Hi rabbit1

The MAN based 767 went tech on 1/9 requiring an engine change. Flight re-scheduled to the following morning. 1hr35 delay on stand (as opposed to the runway, which is the bit of concrete you take-off/land on ;) ) due to being pax down so their bags had to be removed. Air Italy/Star Europe were contracted to operate some subsequent flights due to the engine change dragging on a bit.....

I know pax always complain (usually justified) about not being told anything but I'm sure someone must've told you something during the 25 1/2hrs after you were meant to depart?!

Hope that helps!

rabbit1
5th Oct 2006, 21:05
We were told at various intervals that we would be returning to Manc Airport, from the hotel that they dumped us in, in couple of hours to make our journey to Tenerife. (original flight time 7.55am 1.9.06). It was only at 11.00pm on 1.9.06 were we told that it was because the crew had run out of flying hours, and wouldnt be going until the following day. There was no mention of technical faults of any kind at any point.

As for the baggage situation - that was probably caused by not checking people onto the aircraft and just letting people run from the boarding gate to the trolley bus to take us to the aircraft then to run at great speed and without regard for other passengers safety onto the aircraft to 'sit where you like' as previously told by an Excel representative !

We had 10mins contact with Excel throughout the whole delay ...