PDA

View Full Version : My MAD Flight

pilotwannabe
28th Sep 2006, 00:54
For an unbelievable third time, I was shown the generosity of a kiwi PPRUNE member when I was offered to go up for a flight in a ‘real airplane’, ZK-MAD, a Pitts Special S2B by Mike ‘Slackie’ Slack.

He had been planning the ride for quite some time, but weather amongst other things had continually delayed it until yesterday afternoon. I arrived at Ardmore at 5pm, a little ahead of Mike who was caught up in traffic, and spent a few minutes taking photos of the traffic at the busy regional airport, still buzzing with activity as the day drew to a close.

Once Mike arrived, he phoned the fuel truck, which drove over to ‘The Great Stunt Company’ hanger and filled the Pitt’s up right there and then. This is a clever little system that Ardmore runs, and saves the pilots (especially of the difficult to control taildraggers) a lot of time as they don’t have to taxi to the pump, and then get in and out of their craft again.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad3.jpg

Anyway, after we had enough juice for our flight, we then spent about 20 minutes putting our parachutes on, in case of an emergency of course, and then buckling down into our safety harnesses. I could not believe how tightly and securely I was being held in place, but was thank full for it later on.

Once we where both in place, me in the front seat as the PAX and Mike in the back as the pilot, we spun the huge 2 blade Hartzell propeller into life and taxied towards runway 21 for takeoff. No sooner had Mike declared over the Unicom that we where rolling, we where airborne in just a matter of seconds, thanks to the very light (500kg without pax) of the specially built aircraft, the grunty power generated from the 6 cylinder Lycoming engine, and the generous amount of lift from the four bi-plane wings.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad2.jpg

As Mike had explained to me, this aircraft was not built for comfort, but the sole purpose of going fast and being able to perform aerobatic maneuvers, so once we where up above the Pukekohe countryside, I could hardly hear a thing, with nothing but a very thin $30,000 canopy separating me from the sky!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad4.jpg

In just a few minutes, we were over the ‘green shed’ training area, and circled a few times to get up to 4000 feet. Then, once we arrived in our 1km by 1km ‘aerobatic box’, Mike began to perform the list of maneuvers, drawn out on a piece of paper stuck to my panel:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad6.jpg

First off was the Aileron roll, a simple 360 horizontal twist. I was not sure what to expect, but as soon as I was upside down, clinging from my seat above me and hanging down towards the world below, I let out a huge grin of satisfaction.

Beforehand I thought that nothing could beat the feeling of flying, being free in the sky above everyone and everything below you on the ground. But now, I realized that being able to fling yourself though any dimension you want , has it’s advantages too ;)

As we spun back level, Mike asked me if I was feeling ok, and I replied ‘Couldn’t feel better’, so we proceeded with another roll, except this time, doing a four pointed version, where you briefly keep the plane straight through every 90 degree turn.

I was having the time of my life by now and was prepared for anything and everything which was to come, as the maneuvers got more and more complex as we continued down the list.

Next up was a loop the loop and a stall turn, two thoroughly enjoyable stunts that I had already performed when I was a pax in ZK-CIT with Andrew ‘Wombat’ Hope, so I was prepared for what was to come.

Again Mike asked me if I was feeling ok, which I replied in the affinitive to, although the G-Forces acting on my body where too great to even hold the camera up to the canopy windows to record videos- sorry about that! Even if I had of recorded some clips of the stunts for you to watch, I really do recommend that it is something you must try for yourself. The feeling of spinning and flipping inverted is unlike anything else you can possible ever experience, as well as being tremendous fun at the same time!

After the stall turn, we climbed a little then Mike decreased the throttle, pointed the nose up a little which sent the Pitts into a controlled spin. The ground in front of the nose got closer and closer and rotated faster and faster, making my eyes ever so confused, but Mike soon fixed that pulling us level again and continued on to our next maneuver, the 45 degree climb.

You can properly guess by the name of that little stunt what we did, and after this, we proceed into what was the most complicated maneuver yet, the ½ Cuban Roll, which sort of combined everything we had flown so far. To start off with, we pulled up at a 45 degree angle, then flipped upside down at the top of our climb and pulled back underneath our path created a top side of the ‘8’ symbol shape.

After this I can’t really remember all the moves we did exactly, but I can recall there was a lot of nose-pointing-up stuff, and the horizon kept moving all over the place. You might have heard that the Pitts has the same handling capabilities as a modern day F-16 jet fighter, so you can imagine how intense everything felt to an amateur like myself. Mike had to keep on telling me to ‘SQUEEZE’, meaning clench every single muscle in your body to stop the blood going to your head, so that sort of proves me point!

After about 30 minutes, the sun was setting low over the Manukau Harbor, and unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Mike radioed NZAR to announce we would be making a full stop on runway 03 and I prepared myself for a very special landing experience as we descended over the bright lights of the Southern Motorway and Papakura Township.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad7.jpg

As the Pitts has no flaps, we had to slow down quite considerably as we turned onto finals, and with this the nose began to raise up, giving the pilot and myself zero visibility out the front of the aircraft. Instead of aiming directly at the runway as most other planes do, we flew in a parallel line a few meters to left side of 03, and used the view through the right hand wings as a visual guide to touch down.

Once we crossed the threshold, Mike turned to plane onto the tarmac line, and said to me, ‘look out each side, if the grass started getting closer on one side, we go back the other way’ and it was as simple as that. We bumped down a few seconds later and taxied back towards Mikes hanger, making big ‘S’ shaped turns so help us see where we where going.

As I unbuckled my parachute and safety harness, I thanked Mike for the ride and clamed out the cockpit, noticing the ‘NO BARFING’ sign on my way out. I felt really giddy standing still on the ground after being flung all over the place for the previous half an hour, and as I sat down in my car, actually began to feel a little queasy on the way home- which is really quite funny when you think about it. I also noticed that the takeoff was rather jolty in this certain type of aircraft, but after performing all the gravity deifying maneuvers previously, the touch-down felt as smooth as can be to my exhausted body!

I took a few videos from inside the Pitts during flight which I have merged together and uploaded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOp1BTmxXew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOp1BTmxXew)

Thanks once again to Mike ‘Slackie’ Slack for the awesome experience. It was something which I will never forget and am eager to boast to all my mates about!

Cheers,
Andrew ‘pilotwannabe’ Underwood.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/longwhitecloud/mad5.jpg

Howard Hughes
28th Sep 2006, 01:10
Once again another great story, I felt like I was there...:ok:

bushy
28th Sep 2006, 02:03
Andrew, you should be selling stories to flying magazines. You obviuosly have the skills and knowledge and you write well. Your excitement shows. Good luck.

The Messiah
28th Sep 2006, 04:00
You also appear to be quite the scam artist! Could you please write a letter to CX, QF, BA, UA or SQ on my behalf, I am after a free round the world airfare, first class of course. :ok:

Ultralights
28th Sep 2006, 04:46
You also appear to be quite the scam artist! Could you please write a letter to CX, QF, BA, UA or SQ on my behalf, I am after a free round the world airfare, first class of course. :ok:

hahahah thats what i was thinking initially, for somone who is a wannabe, he seams to get many different types of flights.

great read also!

tinpis
28th Sep 2006, 05:04
:hmm: He seams to be somone able to spell perhaps that helps?

Brian Abraham
28th Sep 2006, 06:43
Was that a test Tins? seams :)

Congratulations Andrew. Keep up the writing.

bushy
28th Sep 2006, 06:51
Nothing suceeds like sucess.

We must also remember that all this is taking place in N.Z. Maybe we can learn something from the Kiwi's.

spindoctor
28th Sep 2006, 10:32
Come on Slackie, the 4 point is after the spin, can't you read your own sequence card?

Remember Andrew if you are going to do more areobatics eat lots of bananas before you go.......they are the only things that taste the same coming up as they do going down :)

J D
28th Sep 2006, 12:06
Outstanding read. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Cheers,
Maj D

Runaway Gun
28th Sep 2006, 12:24
Slackie, you are indeed another legend living in NZ, and encouraging guys like Andrew to fly.

It's great to see so many people sharing their experiences for the new blood, and I hope that this generosity continues. It's especially fantastic that Andrew is seeing some of the best aviation available (all in taildraggers too).

Keep it up pilotwannabe, I'm sure I'll be hearing your Kiwi voice on the airbands before too long.

FL440
28th Sep 2006, 20:21
Mike,

great work taking this type of person flying!

We need more people like the both of you in NZ aviation!! :ok:

Andrew great writing, its always easy to write something that you enjoy so much, make sure you keep focussed on the goal if becoming a pilot is what you want to do!

You need to go for a ride in the P51 next :)

slackie
29th Sep 2006, 05:12
'Tis ALWAYS a pleasure to take someone for a "spin" when they are so keen! Andrew is to be credited for his enthusiasm and tenacity.

Spindoctor....good spotting...didn't quite do things in order as we were waiting for a clearance from AA to get into controlled airspace....unfortunately it was during the evening rush and we had to wait a little....so what better to do?!?!

archangel7
29th Sep 2006, 16:04
we then spent about 20 minutes putting our parachutes on, in case of an emergency of course,

are you serious?

slackie
29th Sep 2006, 19:41
20mins included the preflight, safety brief, and yes parachutes - not that I EVER intend to use them...I also don't intend to use my car/boat/house/life insurance either, but I wouldn't be without them!

Realistically, you'd have to be pretty high (altitude not drugs) before being able to jettison canopy:bored: , unbuckle:\ , egress:eek: , stablise:suspect: , deploy 'chute:confused: before impact:( but it always remains an option. Just ask Sean D Tucker!!

I've always said "I'd never jump out of a serviceable aircraft" and I stick by that, you're probably safer to attempt a forced landing than teach yourself skydiving, so the 'chutes are for the unlikely event of a structural failure.

Runaway Gun
29th Sep 2006, 19:51
Sean Tucker, for those that are not aware, is one of the best aerobatic display performers in the USA.

Earlier this year his elevator control rod connector simply snapped whilst at low level, and he coaxed his modified Pitts up to higher level using only the trim. He wisely decided against trying to land in this unstable configuration, and he continued to climb.

Meanwhile emergency services prepared the immediate area for his evacuation, even stopping traffic on a nearby freeway.

I think Sean then gave a RT message for his wife, just in case the worst happened, before he jetisoned the canopy and lept overboard, from somewhere around 9,000ft.

Luckily he was wearing a helmet, because the canopy smacked him in the head. And then, after leaping out, he got caught up (maybe hit again) in the tail struts. He eventually freed himself, and deployed his chute, and landed safely (if not on two feet). The aircraft was a write off.

If not for his helmet, and chute, then he would not be alive today. PPPPPPP :ok:

pakeha-boy
29th Sep 2006, 19:53
slackie...great stuff mate!!... have an acro endorsment myself mainly through the teachings and work of Patty Wagstaff from the early 80,s in Anchorage when she first started out in a very ugly green Citabria...had a lot of fun and changed undies many times..her first husband bailed me out several violations as he was a very savy lawyer..great website...

haughtney1
29th Sep 2006, 20:08
Really PB? who did you violate? :E

pakeha-boy
29th Sep 2006, 20:29
H1 mate....you know the rules.....Never Kiss and Tell:= :}

harrowing
29th Sep 2006, 21:14
I hope you love your aviation career, It seems to be well on its way already.
Some of us take a while to wax the lyrical, you have a good heads up.
Cheers
Harrowing
and very down to earth or agricultural as the Tony Draper replied to me once

sir.pratt
30th Sep 2006, 00:34
onya slackie. maybe he'll buy that share that's for sale....

slackie
30th Sep 2006, 01:03
S.P. Not yours already???