PDA

View Full Version : Beach combing, sport or social disease?

haughtney1
27th Sep 2006, 16:49
Just watched an interesting piece on skynews about treasure hunting.

Now in the usual JB tradition..sod the story..Im interested in whether we need to neuter these beach combing/metal detector anoraks to stop them breeding...thoughts?

green granite
27th Sep 2006, 16:54
Naw, just point them to an area of unexploded ordinance :hmm::E:E

Mr Lexx
27th Sep 2006, 18:38
I heat southern Lebanon has a lot of treasure at present :E

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 18:43
A totally non-PC 'joke' about a (Celtic?) mine-detector, requiring nothing but an extended leg and 'sensitive' hearing springs to mind.
But ani fule kno that potentially racial comment isn't welcome hereabouts, so I won't mention it.

None of the above
27th Sep 2006, 18:59
It seems a harmless enough pastime. I note from today's local rag that a recent metal detecting rally raised more than £10,000 for cancer charities, principally http://www.ovacome.org.uk/Home and http://www.cchf.org.uk/haematology.html

colmac747
27th Sep 2006, 19:20
..Im interested in whether we need to neuter these beach combing/metal detector anoraks to stop them breeding...thoughts?

Absolutely..single bullet to the head:E

reynoldsno1
27th Sep 2006, 23:29
I think a well groomed beach is a delight to behold .....

tony draper
28th Sep 2006, 00:03
Well in a world where some folks do Brass Rubbings and Morris Dancing beachcombing seems a perfectly normal and respectable passtime for a chap.
One is quite fond of wandering along beaches peering into rock pools examing the local geology ect or just skipping flat stones on the ogan oneself.
After all early humans probably spent most of their time living on or very near the beach,lots of easy to be had grub on the beach ,when one piece of beach was stripped they just moved further along said beach,thats how we finished up spread all over the world.
:cool:

Capt. Queeg
28th Sep 2006, 00:17
Hey G-CPTN's back.. good on ya bloke!

Blacksheep
28th Sep 2006, 04:25
Morris dancing is weird indeed. BS lived in Bampton in the Bush for some time while stationed at the nearby highly secret Oxfordshire air base at Carterton. Bampton in the Bush is a morris dancing mecca around Whitsuntide and one was flagellated with an inflated pigs bladder on several occasions. Leave the beachcombers alone, they're comparatively harmless.

But morris dancers aside, its the pigeon fanciers that need eliminating, or at least their bloody airborne crap dispensers.

Fliegenmong
28th Sep 2006, 04:46
I once saw Morris dance - he was indeed weird.

The guy next door used to have racing pidgeons - he was weird.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Sep 2006, 04:50
a recent metal detecting rally raised more than 10,000 for cancer charities,ironic when you think of all the microwaves those things emit.

ok, I know they don't really :(

What harm? well the harm is when someone finds historical artifacts and then pinches them. I suppose they might otherwise not have been found, but that might not be a bad thing.

Foss
28th Sep 2006, 11:13
Oh look, a bit of fishing net. Oh look, a smashed lobster pot. Oh look, an empty can of coke. Oh look, half a crab. Oh look, a limpet.
Nuts.
And pigeon racers, you spend hundreds if not thousands on a bird then you take it miles away and say make your own way home, and be quick about it.
Nuts.

Fos
Should be sectioned, not me, them

Gainesy
28th Sep 2006, 11:57
One thinks the urban equivalent is skip trawling, chuck stuff in it an folk come and rummage through it.:confused:

lynchburglemonade
28th Sep 2006, 12:04
On a tangent metal detecting has made some rich. :cool:

They are useful if you loose your keys or other items in the sand after a delightful eveing spent near the board walks.:E

candoo
28th Sep 2006, 14:23
Oh dear

I have both beachcombed and morris danced :sad:

airborne_artist
28th Sep 2006, 14:35
My local detectorist is a BA captain - what does that tell us about the world's not-so-favorite carrier?

Blacksheep
29th Sep 2006, 03:21
I have both beachcombed and morris danced Its OK. As long as you don't keep pigeons... :suspect:

jayteeto
29th Sep 2006, 05:40
I still love the story about the sick bloke who walks his dog on the local beach and lays 'traps' for metal detectors. He pokes a bit of metal into his dogs turds, then covers them up, leaving a nice bit of treasure to be picked up :ok:

allan907
29th Sep 2006, 07:47
What about the bloke what takes his pigeons down ter the beach, lets 'em go, rushes back home and then, when the first one gets back he does a bit of a rustic dance to celebrate???

I'd like to know your position on this one Blacksheep

(Welcome back Cap'n)

SOPS
29th Sep 2006, 08:27
We had a neighbour that did naked morris dancing:eek:

allan907
29th Sep 2006, 09:22
What did he tie the bells to?? (Don't answer that!)

Blacksheep
30th Sep 2006, 11:10
I'd like to know your position on this one BlacksheepWe had a neighbour that did naked morris dancingThere ! See! I told you already: Morris Dancers are weird.

But they're OK as long as they don't sit on the telegraph wires and crap on your car.