PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan or Scotland?

cabbages
27th Sep 2006, 05:36
There's been much hype in the UK media about the 12 year old Scottish schoolgirl who ran away to Pakistan to live with her father and who is now refusing to return.
Personally, faced with the chioce of growing up in a 3rd World country full of religious extremists or growing up in Pakistan I think she made the right call.

BOFH
27th Sep 2006, 05:59
Thank youi for the coffee over my keyboard!

BOFH

evansb
27th Sep 2006, 06:05
Indeed! Pakistan is indeed far more aromatic, romantic and septic! Being a young teen, she will soon to be requiring TOP QUALITY contraceptives AND a Mars bar, so she may be back soon.

All my love,
Rahjiim

rab-k
27th Sep 2006, 07:41
Bored again are we Cabbages? :hmm:

Or should I rephrase that and insert 'boring' instead. The latter I think fits more appropriately. Next!... :rolleyes:

Mr Lexx
27th Sep 2006, 08:20
It is good to see that the ability to take a joke, in the context it is made, is alive and well in JB land :ugh:

Lon More
27th Sep 2006, 10:43
Last week's news. Took a long time to think that one up cabbages, or did the news just reach your part of the world?:}

colmac747
27th Sep 2006, 12:34
Is this how the word Jockistan came about?:}

TBirdFrank
27th Sep 2006, 12:44
Be honest - a lifetime being berated by the fire and brimstone wee frees in Stornoway, alternately drowned and frozen to death by the surrounding north Atlantic, compared to the contrasts of Lahore - as her dad seems to have a reasonable standard of living - I can understand how she felt

Have you ever been on the Outer Hebrides on a Sunday????

brain fade
27th Sep 2006, 14:51
Pakistan or Scotland? What sort of choice is that for a SCOTTISH schoolgirl?

Mr Lexx
27th Sep 2006, 14:55
A Half Scottish / Half Pakistani schoolgirl....

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 16:29
As I understand she is 'known as' Molly, ie her proper is Misbah.
I admire her desire to choose her own way of life (be it right or wrong).

Stafford
27th Sep 2006, 16:39
I can't be the only one thinking that her case was manipulated, once again, by a well oiled muslim propaganda machinery ?

She did seem to be enjoying the attention, as any 12 year old would these days, but I wonder how she will feel in a couple of years with her husband and kids asking her to grow up quickly.

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 19:41
Probably warmer than being in Northern Scotland with a limited choice of partners. Pakistan might not seem ideal to some, but some Pakistanis DO live a comfortable life there. As someone has remarked, the Father seems to have a decent standard of living, probably in excess of that available (for the same amount of money) to the Mother.

I believe that Misbah has already spent time living in Pakistan, and also that she is 'free' to return to her Mother in Scotland should she so wish.

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,336673,00.jpg

Misbah Iram Ahmed Rana said “I’m a Muslim. I was born a Muslim and I want to live my life with my dad because he’s a Muslim,” she said.

Misbah’s mother, Louise Campbell, 38, who was known as Shahza Ahmed Rana before her divorce from her husband in 2001, was now “living in sin with a total stranger”. They added: “If the girl was permitted to live in the household which is presided over by a stranger, it will be impossible to bring her up as a proper Muslim female. Indeed, the environment is likely to destroy and erode the moral fibre of her life.”
"That house had become a living hell for me," said Misbah describing her living conditions with her mother in Scotland.
"Pakistani culture suits me more. I love being a Muslim. I have the right to live my life of my own free will. I believe in God. I believe in peace.
"My mother has started living with a man named Campbell. I do not like this all. Call me Molly if you like, but not Molly Campbell."
Her father interrupted her, saying Campbell also used to treat her badly.
"Her mother had been forcing her to eat what is forbidden in Islam. She had been trying to convince Molly to take liquor and preaching against our belief in Allah Almighty and the Holy Prophet."
The culture clash between the life that Misbah can expect in Pakistan and the life Mrs Campbell is alleged to lead came as the child made an emotional appeal to her mother to leave her alone. “Why is she doing this when I will visit her? If she really loved me she would let me be where I want to be.”
Mr Rana celebrated being reunited with his daughter by treating his family to dinner at a top Lahore hotel. Misbah claims that for more than a year her mother banned her from any contact with her father and sister.
“My mother has reconverted to Christianity after her divorce and has taken up her original name. She wants to bring me up as a Christian. I do not want to be a Christian. I love Scotland but I love Islam more. I am determined to be a Scottish Muslim. Scotland may be proud of one day."
Mr Rana said that he was prepared to pay for the Mother to visit her daughter “for as long as she wants, [but] only if she were to abstain from liquor”.

Friends of Misbah in Stornoway, where she lived in a council estate, suggested yesterday that she may have been attracted by the wealth of her father, who is a financier.

tony draper
27th Sep 2006, 20:12
Home is where one hangs one's turban. :rolleyes:

BOFH
27th Sep 2006, 20:31
I'd hate to see him in a wet T-shirt competition.

Bit asymmetric.

BOFH

colmac747
27th Sep 2006, 21:06
where she lived in a council estate

Quite wtf that's got to with the story, i'll never know...so what?:ugh:

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 21:12
Her 'life style' and quality of life DOES depend on whether she lives in a mansion or on an estate. SURELY you must see that, Colmac. I'm not suggesting that many living in Council Houses don't have happy and successful lives, but it implies that her Mother isn't 'well-to-do'.

There is inevitably a prejudice about 'life in Pakistan', but, there are contrasts in Lahore just as in Scotland. This MUST have had SOME influence on Misbah, in addition to the treatment described.

colmac747
27th Sep 2006, 21:20
Wasn't getting at you at all G-Cap, still don't really see why council estate was mentioned, tbh.

Call me cantankerous;)

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 21:27
Friends of Misbah in Stornoway, where she lived in a council estate, suggested yesterday that she may have been attracted by the wealth of her father, who is a financier.

Or mention that her Father was a wealthy financier?
Sounds like a Fairy Tale rescue to me.

Had it been from a Scottish Castle to a Lohore slum where her Father collects and sorts rubbish . . .

dinner at a top Lahore hotel
has more appeal and attraction than the Stornaway Carry Oot.

No contest IMHO.

BlooMoo
27th Sep 2006, 22:00
Good luck to her, wherever she finds her home, she obviously wasn't the happiest bunny.

Given the scale of her journey from Scotland to the Punjab vs say Scotland to Bradford she may have decided to just play it safe...

BM:confused:

reynoldsno1
27th Sep 2006, 23:06
It has always been a requirement for British journalists to first visit the local estate agent to determine the value of property in the area being reported on. This is why "Mr X lives in a 350,000 pound semi", or "Mrs Y lives in a 746,245.71 pound detached residence", or something similar, always appears in every article written. Difficult to determine the value of a council house, but the residence must always appear in the article......allows people to determine one's class, doncha know old boy .....

colmac747
27th Sep 2006, 23:20
Oh, i know, young 'un;)

But, in today's politically correct world......etc, people like me(:E ) like nothing better to do than pick over a reputable article/source and query it! :8