PDA

View Full Version : How are UK veterans treated?

Buster Hyman
26th Sep 2006, 22:27
I've just learned that my Uncle in the UK has been refused Chemotherapy (?) on the grounds that he is over 70!

Does the fact that he is a veteran of WW2, as a glider pilot, count for nothing in the UK? Do you guys not give some preferential treatment to the men & women that have served your country?:suspect:

I don't think we do a lot of things better than elsewhere, but I think the former ADF service members get better treatment. Perhaps its a Vietnam thing??:confused:

con-pilot
26th Sep 2006, 22:42
I've just learned that my Uncle in the UK has been refused Chemotherapy (?) on the grounds that he is over 70!

You have to be kidding! In the US there is no question regarding age, let alone if one is a veteran. Could there be another reason, like the type of cancer?

I don't know what on earth Viet Nam has to do with your uncle and chemo.

(Oh by the way, you spelled Chemotherapy correctly.)

Buster Hyman
27th Sep 2006, 00:01
Umm, yes, a bit vague there...I meant that there is some shame in how Vietnam Vets were treated here & perhaps that is why there is a bit more appreciation of them. Don't know...just venting.

Well, that is what he was told & then a very grisly picture of what Chemo would do to him was painted. Naturally, he wants nothing to do with it which I think is just a way for the Doctors to avoid an ugly explanation of this rule.

Blacksheep
27th Sep 2006, 03:02
Veterans receive no special recognition in UK.

Except on special occasions, when the politicians need them.

tinpis
27th Sep 2006, 03:53
Except on special occasions, when the politicians need them.

Election time.

Krystal n chips
27th Sep 2006, 10:51
And Rememberance Day of course----this being a case of "being seen to be done" for our erstwhile political "leaders" :yuk:however

Other than that, it's a well established UK policy of "thanks, now fk off ".

ORAC
27th Sep 2006, 10:57
This might help answer your question. :suspect:

Veterans' card fails to appear (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/24/nvets24.xml)

HOGE
27th Sep 2006, 11:48
How are veterans treated in this country?

Like all old people, they are treated like sh1t.

I do not look forward to getting old in the UK. Someone pass me a green card.

Taildragger67
27th Sep 2006, 12:06
then a very grisly picture of what Chemo would do to him was painted. Naturally, he wants nothing to do with it which I think is just a way for the Doctors to avoid an ugly explanation of this rule.

I know 'all cancers are different', but I have a close rellie in Oz in their 70s currently in a course of chemo. I suspect they may be privately covered but I'm not sure on that.

My point being that just 'coz you're over 70 shouldn't rule you out on clinical grounds. Naturally there may be other factors.

On 01 Oct a new law against age discrimination comes into force in the UK. He might like to pose the question again on the 2nd.

Good luck to your uncle. If I might suggest, stick by him and let him know you're thinking of him. The old digger is probably more scared sh1tless now than when he was flying gliders into the Reich.

Buster Hyman
27th Sep 2006, 23:13
TD. I think its one of those nasty buggers...a tumor that had burst & spread all over. But he was definately told it was his age which just made my blood boil.

And fair enough too, the other point mentioned about the aged. I guess that we should be looking after ALL our elderly, but for those that have done a lot for us in their youth, you'd think just a little extra wouldn't be too much to ask.

My brother in law, his dad was a Sergeant in the RAAF in the early 70's to the mid 80's I think. He saw no active service & worked in the Officers mess. He is on a full pension, has had many free surgery's (heart etc) has been provided with medical equipment and has recently been given a 4 wheel "scooter" type thingy. In comparison, he's done sweet FA & is being treated like royalty.:suspect:

GEEZUZ! This get's me boiling!:mad:

con-pilot
28th Sep 2006, 01:23
GEEZUZ! This get's me boiling!

I really can't blame you for feeling that way Buster, I really can't.

We are losing our World War II veterans way too fast now as it is.

God bless you and good luck.

Blacksheep
28th Sep 2006, 01:49
Our own WW2 veteran is in the final stages of Alzheimer's, doesn't recognise most of the family and even those he does recognise, he can't remember our names. But he still remembers his ship.

The Navy on the other hand, forgot him completely the moment he walked out of the gates at Rosyth, just like all the others who served. Its a British thing, yet its something that always makes my blood boil when I hear people who never did their duty talk about their "rights."

Taildragger67
28th Sep 2006, 08:24
Email the Sun, mate. Or even better, the Daily Mail. Actually, email the health secretary (Patricia Hewitt, originally an Aussie but we managed to palm her off onto the Poms), .cc-ing the Tory shadow health sec, the Lib Dem health bod, AND the Sun and Daily Mail. And the Beeb. And your uncle's local MP. And the heads of relevant veterans' groups.

Put it in terms of what the troops currently under fire in Afghanistan and Iraq have to look forward to in future years... someone's bound to bite. And maybe put some of their units on your .cc list.

You're in Australia, but the 'net is a powerful tool. A couple of hours' concerted Googling should dig up the names you need. Might be worthwhile trying to enlist a bit of networking help from your uncle's regimental association as a starting point.

I look forward to seeing this cage getting well and truly rattled.