PDA

View Full Version : No 'nt' in Qantas

Ex QF
26th Sep 2006, 21:40
Well, while Dixon may still sing 'We Still Call Australia Home' it appears that the NT might be disappearing from Qantas.
the following article from etravelblackboard
Qantas makes NT a harder place to travel
Tuesday, 26 September 2006
Rumours have been spreading about the complete Qantas withdrawal from the Northern Territory, gradually handing over the reigns to its budget carrier Jetstar.
What has really spurred this on is the recent hand over of the historic Darwin-Singapore route to Jetstar. This route is one of the last major Qantas routes going from the Northern Territory, and after October 29 of this year, there will be no direct Qantas flights from the Northern Territory to a capital city.
While complaints have been raised about this, Tourism NT manager Tony Clementson told the Northern Territory News that “you can get there (Singapore) seven days a week [with Jetstar], whereas currently with Qantas you could only get there five days a week an with Tiger only two.”
These days, travelling to and from the Northern Territory is budget travel. There is the option of Jetstar, Virgin, Tiger, Royal Brunei or nothing at all. There is no possible way to find a commercial flight to Katherine or Tennant Creek – the Aboriginal Air Services stopped flying last week after experience financial turbulence.
While the Jetstar takeover of some NT flight will improve the backpacking sector of the territory’s tourism market, the eventual degradation of the aviation industry in the Northern Territory will most likely make it an unappealing destination for the majority of travellers.

Enema Bandit's Dad
26th Sep 2006, 22:10
There's always the train. Pretty good by all accounts too.

RaTa
26th Sep 2006, 23:33
So if the rumour becomes fact, will the airline's name change to Qas...........hold on it can't because those that know how to run an airline are trying to remove "the service" as well! So the new name may be Queensland Airways.

When I've flown Sydney-Darwin there have been hardly any spare seats in business, so that part of the plane should be making money. But those that make these decisions probably don't know this.

chemical alli
26th Sep 2006, 23:59
yes the qf mainline flying is slowly coming to an end,by next year there will be only the qf1 and the qf11/107 left, if this blatant distruction of an aussie icon continues.we all thought it would never happen to ansett but it did and know qf is heading the same way.until the media give a dam and the public grow sick of lcc, then watch the fall and hope your not the next to be cut.

bushy
27th Sep 2006, 02:40
It's time we had our own airline in the N.T., and kicked qantas out altogether. And Jetstar.
Queensland and WA are getting their own airlines going, but we are sitting here, fat dumb and happy, and letting lot's of big organisations rip us off, and take all the money out of the Territory. Governments seem to consider activity is good business. It isn't when all the money goes away, and you are last in the que for services, that are controlled by someone in Sydney. Qantas is only interested in the big bucks they can make inside the J curve.

rmcdonal
27th Sep 2006, 03:00
bushy, but you did have one. It lost a lot of money and pissed a lot of people off, then it folded. :E :}

Woomera
27th Sep 2006, 03:21
RaTa. It may surprise you to know that QANTAS used to (and may still) own the companies "Queensland Airlines" and "QAS" (Queensland Air Services), both of which were acquired during the TAA days.

Sunny Woomera

Roger Standby
27th Sep 2006, 04:13
NT still is in Qantas. So is CU. Sitting next to each other in the CEO's chair, from what we hear from the staff.;)

bushy
27th Sep 2006, 04:37
rmcdonal
Are you kidding?. That was a sub-economic welfare service, like too many other things up here. They cost lots, and damage local comerce.
I am talking about interstate flights from Alice Springs, Darwin , Ayers Rock etc, plus a few internal flights that can be operated sensibly.

tinpis
27th Sep 2006, 05:42
Bout time the CM got her own personal Falcon 900 or Gulfstream

crank
27th Sep 2006, 06:00
yes the qf mainline flying is slowly coming to an end,by next year there will be only the qf1 and the qf11/107 left, if this blatant distruction of an aussie icon continues.we all thought it would never happen to ansett but it did and know qf is heading the same way.until the media give a dam and the public grow sick of lcc, then watch the fall and hope your not the next to be cut.

I though ansett ran out of money and went bust. Wasn't aware it had set up a low cost carrier and tried to restrain its costs. not sure what you are getting at. Please explain the parallels between Ansett's demise and what is going in in Qantas.

Aussie
27th Sep 2006, 06:12
Air North still operating up there????

Aussie

ShockWave
27th Sep 2006, 07:21
Heared there were A330 jobs going, based in Darwin.
Anyone know what thats about?

Unfortunately the NT stable population is not enough to support an airline bigger than the regional ones it has. The tourist market is also to seasonal to help much. If your going to fly big planes you need to keep them in the air all the time.

Continental-520
27th Sep 2006, 08:20
The Darwin based A330 jobs are for the Egyptian based company Air Luxor who are contracted to provide personnel transfer for the armed forces to the middle east. Wish I had their minimums...!

ShockWave
27th Sep 2006, 10:24
Shame about the JAR licence requirements as well!

I suppose the flights back to OZ would be more fun than the out going ones .

Taildragger67
27th Sep 2006, 11:55
The Darwin based A330 jobs are for the Egyptian based company Air Luxor who are contracted to provide personnel transfer for the armed forces to the middle east. Wish I had their minimums...!

Air Luxor are Portuguese (despite the name). Luxor Air, on the other hand, are Egyptian.

Continental-520
27th Sep 2006, 12:02
Right. How about that.

In that case, I'm curious as to why they were awarded the contract, since Portugal isn't really 'on the way' from Australia to the middle east...

520. :confused:

HotDog
27th Sep 2006, 13:28
The price, my friend.:D

Capt Claret
27th Sep 2006, 13:48
Governments seem to consider activity is good business.

I can safely say that no one in the Govt up here is happy about the ever dwindling QAAS services!

Tin,

:E

tinpis
27th Sep 2006, 20:08
Clarrie..?

:E ..Oh!?...:E ...Oh!?.....:hmm:

Gordstar
27th Sep 2006, 21:44
Upperloab, your comment is gold mate.
Southern Hemisphere International Transport
The way Qantas is being operated is just shameful.
Sad days guys....................
:rolleyes:

iceblock
27th Sep 2006, 22:04
Actually if the "Northern Territory" and "Service" are removed from the name we are left with QAA. This stands for Queensland and Aerial. This makes about as much sense as current managment decisions.

Now services are removed from Queensland and head office is relocated to Tamworth and we now have TAA. Things are coming round full circle, I feel a conspiracy developing.

Capt Claret
27th Sep 2006, 23:13
Tin,

Would a Falcon/Gx gig ex DRW suit you?

Wouldn't suit me any more, ah's off to FNQ.

Ultralights
27th Sep 2006, 23:52
dont worry, once J* get given most of the current domestic QF route structure, they will be rebranded QF, so then QF will be back in NT! :}

topend3
28th Sep 2006, 03:21
and after October 29 of this year, there will be no direct Qantas flights from the Northern Territory to a capital city.

This part is actually slightly untrue, as QF will still run services to Perth, Alice Springs, Cairns and some other destinations in it's own right...

hell.kelpie
29th Sep 2006, 05:00

More likely to be with Strategic Aviation who lease the ex-Air Luxor - now HiFly - a/c.

H

Hempy
2nd Oct 2006, 23:47
NT still is in Qantas. So is CU. Sitting next to each other in the CEO's chair

http://www.g3tsome.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rofl1.gif

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Oct 2006, 09:37
Hempy..........

Brilliant.......absolutely bloody brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 'smiley' that is ....we all got the previous 'line'.....I think!

Question....Where did you get THAT one????

pm me if you like......:D :D :ok:

MIss Behaviour
7th Oct 2006, 05:53
Effective 29 October the only international flights ex DRW are twice weekly Darwin to Denpasar & thrice weekly Darwin to Mumbai, the latter primarily for a crew change due to nil cabin crew horizontal rest on the A330.

Q. What do Qantas pilots have in common with elves, pixies & fairies?
A. They're all (soon to be) mythical creatures.

Parents will be reading stories to their children like "once upon a time an evil little goblin from the Emerald Isle was lured to our country by a troll, a wicked witch and several billy goats gruff to start up a low cost carrier. The salaries were so low that no pilots took up the position (okay maybe a few did).

All of a sudden there was no Qantas anymore.....and that's the end of the 'story'. :{ :{

Sonny Hammond
7th Oct 2006, 07:05
Missy,
Maybe the Q should read; What do people on reasonable pay and conditions in an Australian airline have in common with elves, pixies & fairies?

Cause it is a stretch to suggest that the pilots are the only staff whose working conditions are changing.

Moniker
7th Oct 2006, 21:48
all very interesting and also very damn sad!

won't be long and the only time you'll be able to take a flight E,S or W out of DRW will be in the bloody dark!

MIss Behaviour
9th Oct 2006, 01:10
True Sonny, indeed not just pilots or aviation. Spotlight employees lost their penalty rates for working on Sundays but they 'gained' a massive 2c per hour pay increase which gives management the right to say that their employees are paid more under an AWA.

Skippy: "tsk tsk tsk tsk"
Sonny: "what's wrong Skip, you're losing your job at Bunnings Casuarina"?
Skippy: "tsk tsk tsk tsk"
Sonny: "...but they're offering you a new job at the new Bunnings near the airport but there's just one catch"?

Skippy then produces an AWA from her pouch stating that if she wants the gig at the new superstore she's gotta forget about double time on Sunday.

:{ :{ :{

Raider1
9th Oct 2006, 10:35
I travel to Darwin regularly as a full fare paying pax for business meetings. Last week went up on QF123 the Mumbai service. Very comfortable on the A330 and great inflight service. Came back domestic next day. Flight full.Crap almost non existant service. With a quick turn around and spending almost 18 hours in 2 days flying I appreciate comfort and some service. If Jetstar is going to be the only offering to Darwin........ well guess what ........I wont be going
:ugh: