PDA

View Full Version : Tyranny Today - Chains Tommorrow

AA SLF
26th Sep 2006, 21:24
Captains of commecial airplanes have ABSOLUTE POWER! What I am wondering is this - does this "absolute power" affect their ego to such an extent, that it carries over into their personal lives outside of the flightdeck?? That these Pilots really think of themselves as "GODS" and therefore do not/will not accrue to their fellow humans a minimum of respect!

Comments please - especially from FD personnel. . . .

Unwell_Raptor
26th Sep 2006, 21:33
Oh Yes! They are insufferable.

A good friend has the misfortune to be married to a Big Airways captain, and she goes to hell and back on a regular basis.

When he got his command, he took me to the pub and allowed me to buy him a bottle of Veuve Clicquot, which we drank while admiring his new hat and his 'platinum' epaulettes. He upset the barmaid when he snapped his fingers to get a drink, and then leered at her while inviting her for a weekend in Almaty.

We can't play golf until he has given us a briefing, much of which is about giving him a clear round, and what to do if the buggy loses a battery on take-off from the first tee.

His Breitling is vulgar. His BMW M-series is worse. He expects any woman in the company to fetch him a coffee and mop his brow.

God, am I jealous!

Ronald Jeremy
26th Sep 2006, 22:18
His Breitling is vulgar. His BMW M-series is worse.

Is an Omega and a Porsche acceptable in polite society one wonders ?

Ronnie

tony draper
26th Sep 2006, 22:30
Sea Captains have much more power they can hang flog or rape yer with impunity,not necessarily in that order though,come to think most of them where mad a shit house rats as well.:rolleyes:

con-pilot
26th Sep 2006, 22:37
Pilots really think of themselves as "GODS"

Well, of course we do, it's just some of them are much more God Like than me.;)

When I made 727 captain (I know, I know I've posted this before) my wife had a big party and after a few (okay, more than a few) drinks I went to the toilet dropped me pants and looked into the mirror and guess what?

Nothing down there was any bigger.:{

Chesty Morgan
26th Sep 2006, 22:46
Captains of commecial airplanes have ABSOLUTE POWER! What I am wondering is this - does this "absolute power" affect their ego to such an extent, that it carries over into their personal lives outside of the flightdeck??

Not me. I get paid to be an arrogant, egotistical, demanding, draconian, know-it-all, loud mouth, pompous, pretentious, self aggrandizing, snooty, swaggering, vainglorious steely eyed god of the skies. (Init weird I know all those words!)

When I'm not at work I usually can't be arsed.

Now...kiss my arse!:}

gorgeous spotter
26th Sep 2006, 22:52
As a mere pax don't think theres anything more un-attractive than a man who thinks he's gods gift, even if he is loverly to look at, yuck yuck. :} I was drooling over those two from GB airways a few months ago, but if I got talking to them and they were a pair of know alls/ I love meeself that would put me straight orff. Being happily married though you can look but you cannot touch!!!:p

Jerricho
26th Sep 2006, 23:04
They may think they're Gods, but they better bloody well do what I tell them to! :} :E :ouch:

Howard Hughes
26th Sep 2006, 23:13
Jerricho Centre, say again, unreadable...;)

Jerricho
26th Sep 2006, 23:17
"I said radar service terminated, squawk 1200, put your compass on E and get the f**k out of my airspace." ;) ;)

jet_noseover
26th Sep 2006, 23:35
In general....
Captains of commecial airplanes have egos directly proportional to the size of their watches and inversely proportional to the size of their knobs.
And.....
After reading Jerricho's posts on the subject, we may as well throw them talking traffic poles into the same pool.
:} :rolleyes: ;)

Howard Hughes
26th Sep 2006, 23:35
PAN PAN PAN, I require...

Go on trump that, I dare ya!!;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Sep 2006, 23:37
When I made 727 captain (I know, I know I've posted this before) my wife had a big party and after a few (okay, more than a few) drinks I went to the toilet dropped me pants and looked into the mirror and guess what?

Nothing down there was any bigger.:{well, that's because it was a 727. Now if it had been a DC3 . . .

Howard Hughes
27th Sep 2006, 00:01
Now if it had been a DC3 . . .
It would have been old and wrinkly...;)

rotated
27th Sep 2006, 00:03
... and leaky :ooh:

Jerricho
27th Sep 2006, 00:33
PAN PAN PAN, I require...
Go on trump that, I dare ya!!;)

"Howard Hughes, say again, unreadable" :p

Chesty Morgan
27th Sep 2006, 00:51
"Howard Hughes, say again, unreadable"

Roger, clear to land:}

Jerricho
27th Sep 2006, 01:10
I see you've flown into Winnipeg before Chesty ;)

fernytickles
27th Sep 2006, 03:52
"Captains of commecial airplanes have egos directly proportional to the size of their watches and inversely proportional to the size of their knobs"

Not all captains have to have knobs.... Some have knockers, ya know. Along with the prerequisite watches and egos to match, of course :ok:

A quick aside for the God of the Airwaves, Jerricho. I was recently informed by one of our local controllers that it would be easier to understand me if I didn't breath out while speaking on the radio. We've tried, its almost a physical impossibility to speak whilst inhaling, unless you want to sound like Darth Vader's auntie. Can be used to liven up a snowbound afternoon at work sometime - sounds right funny for everyone else to listen to.

Howard Hughes
27th Sep 2006, 04:55
"Howard Hughes, say again, unreadable" :p
Touche':ok:

By the way in keeping with the tone of this thread, my callsign is BIG HOWARD!!;)

lasernigel
27th Sep 2006, 06:32
Being ex Army Captains weren't worth spitting on.Everyone knows it's the senior NCO's who run the show.
Suppose analogy would be that certain pursers can captain this place a lot better than actual captains.Plus they have a sense of humour which seems to be sadly lacking here.

green granite
27th Sep 2006, 07:22
:ok::ok::ok: hear hear.

IB4138
27th Sep 2006, 07:51
On 5th October 2000 at 08.19, Titan did write this (on a thread regarding SIA):

Maybe you were one of those great tyrant captains of old where the FO was forbidden to object to you. Their silence was a sign of the harmony in your cockpit. Well those lovely little boys grew up to be just like you - they do you proud for they too rule like tyrants and believe that they are beyond human frailty.

....and here we are, almost six years later, discussing the same type of behaviour. :rolleyes:

sprocket
27th Sep 2006, 09:20
My licence permits me to tell captains to 'go :mad: themselves' :E

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 09:40
You're a Purser?

sprocket
27th Sep 2006, 10:21
You're a Purser?

I wish :(

1. King Lear
2. Regan
3. Goneril
4. Bush
5. Kevin Bloody Wilson
6. Scarlet
7. Mr Bean
8. Basil Fawlty
9. Ben Matlock
10. Gigantor

(Sorry about that, it's getting damned hard to post here. The new rule about having to have at least 10 characters in my posts is going to kill me.)

Oh! G-CPTN That was interesting. Would you care to elaborate?

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 10:26
Just the first 'authority' that came to mind.

Jerricho
27th Sep 2006, 14:56
it would be easier to understand me if I didn't breath out while speaking on the radio.

(Thread drift here folks!)

Heh Ferns. I think I know what the controller is getting at. Forgive me if I'm tell you you stuff you already know, but firstly make sure the mic isn't too close to your mouth. One thing I do hear on a regular basis is trainees keying the mic, then taking a big breath and letting all the words come out as one big exhale (you can certainly hear the sharp intake........) and what sounds like them running out of breath towards the end. Short concise R/T is the way to go. :ok:

Romeo Delta
27th Sep 2006, 16:04
<deep breath in.........>....... WinnipegcenterCessnaMikeNovemberEcho10miles southeastonupwindrequestingradar... <GASP...breathe in...> vectors...

:}

frostbite
27th Sep 2006, 17:25
They wouldn't need so much breath if they didn't use such phrases as outside air temperature!

fernytickles
28th Sep 2006, 03:32
Jerricho (more thread drift here), thanks for that,I'm (nearly) always open to useful advice, but you'd have to meet this particular controller. He's, well, "special" in his own little way. Been suspended almost as many times as I've had crap landings, reknowned throughout the area and epitomises a word that rhymes with anchor when he's in the tower. Seems almost human when he comes down from his erie.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Sep 2006, 03:42
Short concise R/T is the way to go. :ok:like "LOOK OUT!!!!'? :E

matkat
28th Sep 2006, 05:18
I drive a Ferrari and wear a Rolex, but then again I am only an Engineer:}

lasernigel
28th Sep 2006, 07:57
I drive a Primera and wear a Seiko..sad really.But more common sense than a captain so suppose that counts for something.:ok: