PDA

View Full Version : Massey + Army?

bagpipe
26th Sep 2006, 09:25
I have heard that massey are training Army UAV operators (academic stuff) whats the goss here?

skytops
27th Sep 2006, 04:06
Snippet in Pacific Wings:

"Pacific Wings understands that four personnel from the New Zealand Army have commenced flying training to PPL level at the Massey School of Avation in connection with the use of UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles)."

bagpipe
27th Sep 2006, 08:24
PPL makes good sence. I would rather trust a grunt with a ppl than a grunt without with UAVs. I'm am extremely surprised that nz army had the smarts to do this. As for the airforce why would you bother with all the palava of a wings cse for UAVs?- bit of an overkill.

Like This - Do That
28th Sep 2006, 04:51
Anyone know what Corps these folks are in?

Daqqy152
28th Sep 2006, 07:11
161 Bat, Artillery

bagpipe
28th Sep 2006, 08:03
Friend also said that she that thought that they are artillery but one is an engineer (a captain none the less). Does anyone know what type of UAV they will be using? - predator - global hawk - radio model with a box brownie camera? Saw the snippet in the pacific wings as well, how come there's no big press on this? Why is the army doing this and not the air force?When will the army tell everyone that they will be flying uavs - whats happening with caa? do we have to watch out for them in G class airspace where will they be flying them? I sure hope they do get these guys trained as the pausity of aviaiton knowledge in the army must be huge. When was the last time they operated anything that flew?
Lots of questions but it just seems that UAVs would be something our army would be getting in about 100 years from now and it is a bit of a surprise.

Runaway Gun
28th Sep 2006, 12:26
The Army might just put some radio control gear into the Skyhawks....

Love Monkey
28th Sep 2006, 20:21
Bagpipe, I'm sure you meant Artillery, not Army. Army have been operating "things that fly" for quite some time.

The RAAF shouldn't have any major issues with the Army operating UAV's because it is for the purpose of direct support of Artillery and other ground force elements. Keeping the UAV operations 'in house' will allow the Arty Cps to develop doctrine and procedures much sooner and more efficiently than if they were borrowing the assest from the RAAF on an as-available basis. (Similar to the reason for Army getting the Helo's in the first place)

The Army have been testing UAV's for several years now and have decided this is the way to go. All the Army Aviation bashers will vent their frustrations no doubt. Good luck to them:)

Runaway Gun
28th Sep 2006, 21:09
LM,

It's the Nu Zullund Army they are tulking abutt hurr. Nut the Uzzies.

Love Monkey
28th Sep 2006, 22:13
Yes, after climbing off my high horse I realised my error there! There is an identical scheme (possibly linked) operating over here that is encountering some snide opposition armed with nothing more than a grudge. Gives me the shuts.

bagpipe
29th Sep 2006, 04:32
Runaway Gun
Cheers for pointing out Love monkey's error Maybe he's got the runaway gun - probably had a hard day at work -so no big drama. he actually re-enforces what I am sayin- The Nu Zulland army has absolutley no aviaition knowledge yet they are starting a UAV team from scratch (it seems). the aussies by comparison operate fixed wing ( twins for 1 topo??) and black hawks / chinooks and soon aussie tiger - serious kit that you can't cheat with. So add uavs on top and you already have the critical mass. Iif you went into the kiwi army's HQ and asked them what qnh was they would probably look at you very bug eyed. I doubt the air force would be too keen to help them much as the last time they got neutered with the losss of the a-4.

Sqwark2000
29th Sep 2006, 04:46
The Nu Zulland army has absolutley no aviaition knowledge yet they are starting a UAV team from scratch (it seems).

Actually, NZ Army still has some senior Army Air Corp pilots from when they operated the Sioux as battlefield support. A few generations ago I grant you... but not absolutley no aviaition knowledge.

S2K

troppo
29th Sep 2006, 05:01
wot dey gonna ewes dem for? spotting weed plots on the east cape? :}

bagpipe
29th Sep 2006, 09:51
s2k

fair cop, they had a handful souix pilots in the 80s say nearly 15-20 yrs ago....would this make most of them in their 40s 50s?.

scroogee
29th Sep 2006, 23:01
Bagpipes "radio model with a box brownie camera?" is of the scale of vehicle being used- though possibly a digital camera- they're lighter. However LM's "The RAAF shouldn't have any major issues with the Army operating UAV's because it is for the purpose of direct support of Artillery and other ground force elements. Keeping the UAV operations 'in house' will allow the Arty Cps to develop doctrine and procedures much sooner and more efficiently than if they were borrowing the asset from the RAAF on an as-available basis." is pretty close to the intent- just sub in RNZAF for RAAF.

bagpipe
5th Oct 2006, 19:26
I also heard that its Kiwi made (the UAV that is).

Capt W E Johns
5th Oct 2006, 20:10
Just because it's airborne it doesn't have to be owned/operated by the Air Force. Even if there was a desire to give the Army boys some airborne instruction from the RNZAF, it wouldn't happen as half the CT-4/E fleet has been grounded for over a year. The Air Force can't meet its own pilot training outputs. And as for the average soldier being capable of meeting the current RNZAF solo standard - not likely. It would require a completely new syllabus and standard, which would end up duplicating what is already done in the civilian world anyway.

Massey's the place for them.

bagpipe
6th Oct 2006, 04:45
Capt W E Johns , Bang on Biggles. It makes really good sence that the army uav boys and girls learn rudimentary aviaiton stuff, 40-50 hrs of flying would do them a hell of a lot of good to understand aviaiton. I'm just really keen to see what they are going to fly, where and when? I would have thought that there would be an article in media with piccies and some CAA warnings about the army UAV. Does anyone know if this stuff in the wings? Its not in the latest sup so maybe they just play in waiouru and no were else? Is it (heaven forbid in NZ)- a black project!! although if I found out via thord party they are training at massey then it can't be too classified -or maybe thats kiwi classified? -Bro-fidential.

philipnewman
6th Oct 2006, 08:41
*points and snickers* You guys have it all wrong. But keep guessing *snickers*