PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Wine

CherokeeDriver
26th Sep 2006, 09:51
With this being JB I bet you were thinking about your favourite moan (whine)!

Wrong!

I’m asking about fermented grape juice! What’s your favourite, and why?:)

Mr Lexx
26th Sep 2006, 09:56
I am a firm believer in quantity, not quality :\

I am a fan of red wine over white wine, and am particularly partial to Merlot, but it has to be a half decent one, at least £4.50's worth

Barkly1992
26th Sep 2006, 10:00
Jacob's Creek Shiraz Cabernet 2004 - mainly because I can buy it for A$8 and when I buy 6 get a 4c discount on my petrol (gas for you septics). This is a quality wine though.

I then pay A$1.25 per litre for Premium fuel as I drive a Honda Euro (R type I think in the UK).

I spend more on other wines but this is my daily wine.

:p

Capn Notarious
26th Sep 2006, 10:02
Comes from my own grapes out of the garden.

Cost - don't know.
Alcohol content, no real idea.
Sleep inducing properties, most excellent.

If unvaliable it has to be Merlot the morpheous magician. The purchased delight is VEO from Chile.

oldbeefer
26th Sep 2006, 10:04
Barkly - I thought Jacobs Creek was wine that was sent here 'cos the Aussies wouldn't drink it? I'm a fan though. Best I had was from my son's (Aussie) father in law who produced a bottle of Grange - that was seriously quaffable (should be at 200 quid a bottle).

green granite
26th Sep 2006, 10:12
any good wine, but as a dessert wine Brown Brothers Orange Muscadet is good without breaking the bank

Parapunter
26th Sep 2006, 10:14
Rioja. Always liked Rioja. Talked it over with my boss once, who announced that he liked the white Riojas what I didn't know existed. I wondered if he was winding me up, which shows how much of a wine gromit I am.:{

Barkly1992
26th Sep 2006, 10:14
Oldbeefer

Grange - I worship your glass. That is a serious heavy red.

Jacob's Creek is quality wine that developed the UK market for Australian wine some years ago. I bought a couple of bottles in 1992 for my old uncle Bill and Aunt Irene in Shipley West Yorks. I also used the Australian Wine Centre in London to ship some to my wife's German cousin in Everode just to show him that us Ozies know something about wine.

It was more expensive than here but let me assure you it is still a very welcome wine here.

:ok:

panda-k-bear
26th Sep 2006, 10:24
Mmmm - one of my favourite subjects!

Personal Favourites - for reds you can't beat the 1998 Chateau Corbin St Emillion - superb! It's like rocking horse poo now, though. The Californian 6 Hands Merlot is also a nice drink.

For a white, I like an Ugni Blanc Colombard, personally. The 2001 and 2002 were rather good. All down to taste with whites though, isn't it. Lots of peeps really don't like them much.

Pseudonymn
26th Sep 2006, 10:25
Baby Grange. aka Penfolds Bin 707, The Cab Sav version of Grange. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ernaehrung/food-smiley-006.gif

For everyday quaffing, McGuigans Black Label is hard to beat. :E

hetfield
26th Sep 2006, 10:27
Äppelwoi, Alte Hochstädter.

henry crun
26th Sep 2006, 10:27
White, it is hard to go past a Marlborough Cabinet Savignon.

Red, Oz produces many good ones, but in the cheaper range which my pocket allows, Jacobs Creek are as good as any.

Foss
26th Sep 2006, 10:28
I would usually go any kind of Shiraz, sick of Merlot, though it is nice.
Failing that, a bucket of Buckfast.

Whirlygig
26th Sep 2006, 10:28
Gosh - where shall I start?!

If I'm doing my weekly shop with Messrs T E Stockwell & Cohen, then I look out for the following to see if they're on special offer:-

Hardy's Crest
Wolf Blass Yellow Label
Lindeman's Bin 50 Shiraz
Brown Brother's Shiraz

Also rather partial to Spanish reds and Italians whites!

Cheers

Whirls

PS - I'm a bit off wine at the moment still!

rab-k
26th Sep 2006, 10:29
http://www.elalmanaque.com/turismo/fotos/bodegas/faustino.jpg

pzu
26th Sep 2006, 10:32
Member of 'The Wine Society'

Occaisionally buy 'en primeur'

But my best buy recently has been from NETTO in France, their own Merlot at E1.49 yes 1.49 that is near as dammit £1.00 a bottle :ok:

Have had better, & a lot worse, but as good, honest everyday PLONK this has to be the best value EVER :) :ok: :)

PZU - Out of Africa

slim_slag
26th Sep 2006, 11:06
Sainburys doing a perfectly drinkable shiraz right now, River Ridge 2005. £3.49 a bottle, 5% discount for six. When that deal is gone there will be another one.

Its 13.5% alcohol for the true afficionados on here.

Impress to inflate
26th Sep 2006, 11:15
Most Aussie reds like Whirlygig and most Spanish reds especially La Cantera. Like the drug adverts of the 80's, "Just say No" to ANY French wine. I would rather drink battery acid !

Whirlygig
26th Sep 2006, 11:17
I am not an Aussie red!! Irish red-head maybe?!

Cheers

Whirls

maxburner
26th Sep 2006, 11:28
I was once introduced to a dark, red Aus wine called Brokenback. It was delicious, but I've never seen it outside Aus. Does anyone know if it's stocked in the UK?

Curious Pax
26th Sep 2006, 11:40
Any red that is between 2.99 and 3.99 in the local supermarket (that's Euros by the way). I try to avoid those with an oakey taste as the wife complains, but other than that most of what I get is quite pleasant. On the odd occasion that Mrs CP accompanies me on the weekly shopping expedition we seem to end up with more expensive stuff (usually 4.99-7.99) but to be honest I mostly don't see any difference.

Unfortunately I have the memory of a goldfish, so can rarely remember from one week to the next the label I have bought, and as a result probably don't have the same wine twice very often.

When we were younger, Mrs CP used to quaff a lot more than now, so I used to also buy a couple of really cheap bottles on the basis that after she was on her 7th or 8th glass it didn't really matter what it tasted like!

panda-k-bear
26th Sep 2006, 12:08
Oh if it's cheap stuff you're after, everyday drinking wines, then give me a bottle of Tursan any day.

Quite a lot of the Frontons are quite downable, too.

phnuff
26th Sep 2006, 12:22
Member of 'The Wine Society'

Yep, the wino club is just down the road from us and we visit once in a while.

Red - I like a good full bodied red from Portugal, especially those made with local grape varieties as opposed to the "Syrah/Merlot/Cabenet" types

White - a good sauvignon blanc is wonderfull, generally New Zealand. The wino clubs own label sauvignon is pretty good

AVOID - Chardonnay unless un-oaked.

zarniwoop
26th Sep 2006, 12:24
Hinmans/Sylvan Ridge and Secret Garden in Oregon make some very nice reds. Spent a very pleasant (and rather relaxed) October afternoon on the terrace at Hinmans with a couple of friends a few years ago.

Duckbutt
26th Sep 2006, 12:29
When I come back from France I uasually bring a few bottles of Costiere de Nimes, especially from E LeClerc supermarkets at around €1.80 per bottle.

For my tastes excellent for regular drinking.

woptb
26th Sep 2006, 12:42
Marquis De Caceres,red Rioja. Price,not sure. Good stuff,drink it when your alone.To good to share.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Sep 2006, 13:17
1981 KWV Roodeberg. Give it a shake to mix in the goodness then drink from a tall glass with Coca Cola in a 1:1 ratio, known as a Catembe.

Philistine?

Moi?:confused:

slim_slag
26th Sep 2006, 13:25
I was once introduced to a dark, red Aus wine called Brokenback. It was delicious, but I've never seen it outside Aus. Does anyone know if it's stocked in the UK?google for winesearcher and put brokenback in. That site is incredibly useful for getting stuff you might want to keep for a bit.

Binoculars
26th Sep 2006, 14:01
Coolibah. Nectar of the gods. Wait for the specials, otherwise you could pay as much as $13 for four litres. Outrageous.

Jerricho
26th Sep 2006, 14:55
Ah Binos, the good old Chateau-d'cardboard :ok: Big fan of it me-self ;)

Foss
26th Sep 2006, 15:19
Speaking of poor memories, I went on a winery tour in California, near Napa, but not in Napa, and ordered a case of lovely red to be sent home.
The box was labelled books or something to get through customs.
It cost about £200, but I got a fridge magnet with the company name on it, phone number etc.
I've lost the fridge magnet. No idea at all what the vineyard is called. None.
Tried the credit card bill, shredded.
:ugh: Ah well.
Fos goldfish brain

colmac747
26th Sep 2006, 15:59
Buckie (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5381360.stm):E :E

"There's something different about that drink," says Mr Kerr, calling it "seriously bad".

Aside from 'Buckie', other nicknames include 'Brown Sauce', 'commotion lotion', 'wreck-the-hoose juice'*, 'bottle of beat the wife', 'liquid speed', 'Bottle of B', 'Mrs Brown', 'Coatbrige Table Wine' and 'Scranjuice'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine V.Funny!

*LOL :uhoh:

slim_slag
26th Sep 2006, 16:24
Anybody know the best/cheapest place to buy wolf Blass in Uk?I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier :ugh:

AIRWAY
26th Sep 2006, 16:30
A nice bottle of Madeira Wine :ok: would go down well :)

Rich Lee
26th Sep 2006, 16:43
Caymus Special Select Cab 1991:D

Tolsti
26th Sep 2006, 17:16
Marques de Caceres Red is very good and Marques de Riscal for special events is nectar.

RaraAvis
26th Sep 2006, 17:25
Would not easily turn down a nice bottle of Chablis or Sancerre but must agree, New Zealand does some excellent whites, Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs are simply marvellous.

BlackJack Shiraz from Bendigo, Victoria - a 'neighbourhood vineyard' of a good buddy, always brings back a couple of magnums for me, such a nice chap he is.:ok:

A bottle of Molina Cab Sav Reserva goes so well with steak tartar....oehh, speaking of which, getting hungry now...:(

sirwa69
26th Sep 2006, 18:34
We quaff large quantities of Drosdy Hof Cape Red' in fact the glass in my hand now is full of it :\

Tried Chateau Musar from Lebanon a couple of times and although nice it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Got to agree with earlier posters The Grange is superb but the price does restrict consumption. :ooh:

On On

SilentHandover
26th Sep 2006, 18:53
The Chocolate Block , a mighty fine drop so it is.

spork
26th Sep 2006, 18:55
General drinking: Rioja (red or white) pretty damn good and cheap.

Pope’s Newcastle is usually good for a red. Bit special.

That Buckfast eh? Who said that? Hardly wine though, is it?

A rather nice red (last bought at Waitrose) was Fitou, had a poppy on the label. Will look again soon, as down to the last bottle now.

Most whites I buy are for a Chicken Risotto.

1DC
26th Sep 2006, 19:06
Enjoyed a lovely bottle of red in Hall's Gap, then passed the vineyard near Ararat. Can't remember the wine could have been Monara but know where the vineyard is and when i go back to Oz in january i may take a trip up there for some more..
I was told that Jacob's Creek is now owned by the French. They probably had a little chuckle when the Brits stopped buying French and went to Oz wine in retaliation for the beef fiasco.

gorgeous spotter
26th Sep 2006, 21:10
It pain's me to have to admit, but the Ozzy's do make a rarther nice bottle of red plonk! I am especialy tempted by Wolf Blass (eagle hawk) or yellow label.

That's not to say the Chilean's don't make a good bottle too!

Anybody know the best/cheapest place to buy wolf Blass in Uk?

Try Tesco online; they regularly have wine festivals and Wolf Blass is always a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. We recently had a case of Wolf Blass Presidents Selection (red) from them; 12 bottles for about £59.00 - excellent, like drinking spicy chocolate plums, lovely!! As its normally 9 to 10 quid a bottle not a bad saving.

toothpic
26th Sep 2006, 23:46
Railroad Red from Graham Beck, a nice South African wine, sometimes on offer at Tesco's about a fiver a bottle, lovely stuff!

jon s gull
27th Sep 2006, 00:23
Am a bit of a hobbyist myself, in white's I like semillon, either young or old but not in the middle. Aussie semillons were a well gaurded secret till some pommy bint that is somewhat of an expert came over recently and blabbed to the international press.The missus likes viognier.
In the reds coonawarra cabs are hard to beat or cab's and shiraz from Keith Tullochs [the Kester]. They export to the UK for those of you stuck on the little Islands.
in the more obscure breeds straight Petit Verdot or chambourcins can be spectacular , also look out for shiraz grenache blends and shiraz vioniger mmmm.
And for one current favourite, petersons Pinot from Armidale is a rival to NZ pinots.
have I missed anything?

panda-k-bear
27th Sep 2006, 09:15
Oh and another white - Tariquet. Yum. Drooling at the thought, and it's not even 11 o'clock yet!

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 11:11
For 'pleasure' one quite likes a Bodensee Weissherbst.

The SSK
27th Sep 2006, 11:34
Best wine I ever drank was at a Sunday lunch hosted by an eccentric friend, now departed. He was a South African, ex RAF Spitfire pilot who had been invalided out with a bit of shrapnel in his head (not sure which war). He & his family lived in a tenement close to Victoria Station and he drove a clapped-out VW van which he’d converted into a motorhome. He used to make a living driving back and forth to the Continent, shipping wine in both directions (he used to buy fine German wine in the UK, and sell it at a profit in Germany…).

The van had an underfloor compartment which he’d used to smuggle his stepson out of East Berlin. Whether it was also used in his trading activities, I never asked.

At this particular lunch there were four adults and three non-drinking or merely-sipping teenagers. We got through three bottles of Lafite, followed by four more of a wine he described as ‘even better – and only half the price’, which was Cos d’Estournel. I wasn’t arguing with his judgement.

Oh, and he also produced a bottle of Yquem to wash down the dessert.

Pinky the pilot
27th Sep 2006, 11:45
Currently sipping a Peter Lehmann 'Clancy's' 2002 Shiraz, Cab Sav, Merlot and Cabernet Franc.:ok: :ok:

Concur with previous posters recommending Wolf Blass. A very good friend is now the General Manager of the Wolf Blass winery at Stockwell in South Oz and occasionally I get a very nice drop passed my way!:ok:

lynchburglemonade
27th Sep 2006, 11:49
HATE this stuff: Beaujolais Nouveau

Anything else :ok:

oldbeefer
27th Sep 2006, 12:21
The frog stuff doesn't feature much, does it! Don't like white much, but have found Oyster Bay from NZ quite tasty.

ormus55
27th Sep 2006, 13:14
last of the summer ....

Inbound On Descent
27th Sep 2006, 13:42
Lady in a boat!

...but seriously now..anything from Margaret River in WA ...can't go wrong...

Inbound:ok:

Jesters
27th Sep 2006, 15:12
No-one has mentioned the fizzies!

1988 Krug, 1982 Bolly or 1990 Dom Ruinart, each a different treat and difficult to choose a winner!

For Red's it has to be Rioja, Torre Muga, an old Torre Muga!

And Whites - a young NZ Sauv Blanc. But to satisfy the patriotic side, southern English Baccus is worth a try - Chapel Down or Camel Valley:ok: