PDA

View Full Version : A Conga Line of Suckholes

ORAC
26th Sep 2006, 05:15
The Times: (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2374561,00.html) Last larrikin laments death of the real blokes

THE hard man with the earthy charm from the wide brown land is no more. He has been neutered by leftist feminists and cringing neoconservative men, according to the former leader of the Labor Party in Australia, Mark Latham.

The traditional Australian male, he laments in a new book, is heading for extinction, replaced by men who are either nervous wrecks, “metrosexual knobs” or “toss bags”. Clearly counting himself as a survivor of the old culture, Mr Latham, 46, who led Labor to a crushing defeat in the 2004 election, has titled his latest book A Conga Line of Suckholes. It is the infamous description he applied on the floor of the Parliament to John Howard, the Prime Minister, and government MPs to describe their apparent intimacy with President Bush.

Mr Latham once broke the arm of a Sydney taxi driver in a fare dispute while he was an MP and last year ripped a camera from a photographer and demolished it with a hammer in his shed.

In the book, his seventh, he writes: “One of the saddest things I have seen in my lifetime has been the decline in Australian male culture, the loss of our larrikin language and values . . . Australian mates and good blokes have been replaced by nervous wrecks, metrosexual knobs and toss bags.” :E :E

An economist by training, Mr Latham became a house-husband on leaving politics while his wife, a lawyer, went to work. He partly blames changes to the workplace and the family unit for what he says is the crisis of identity.

He says: “This trend has had a debilitating effect on the Australian language. Instead of calling a spade a spade, our national conversation is now dominated by weasel words and the pretence of politeness. Few people have anything meaningful to say, for fear of offending the conservative status quo.”

Mr Latham said that while he valued the language of academia, “I also love the language of the Australian larrikin, so down to earth and expressive”.

It was Mr Latham’s earthy expressiveness that infuriated his former Labor colleagues when, a year ago, he produced a riveting account of his time in politics, The Latham Diaries. He savaged his old party as poisonous and opportunistic.

Professor Catherine Lumby, a Sydney feminist academic who has conducted a long study of the male culture inside rugby league, dismissed Mr Latham’s conclusions about the decline of the male culture. “That’s a total load of toss,” she said. “I grew up with guys who played rugby league and watched league and those sorts of guys haven’t changed that much.”

Paul Merrill, the editor of Zoo, Australia’s top-selling lads mag, said his readers’ biggest hero was the cricketer Shane Warne. “He’s supposedly shagged 1,000 women, he’s fat, he smokes and he drinks beer. And look at Steve Irwin. He wasn’t a metrosexual toss bag.”

BOFH
26th Sep 2006, 07:07
So now the conservatives are politically correct?

The smartest thing to come out of Mark Latham's mouth was Gough Whitlam's :mad: .

He partly blames changes to the ... family unit for what he says is the crisis of identity.
Oh, the irony!

BOFH

Binoculars
26th Sep 2006, 10:03
Oooh! Oooh! Can I have a go at this one please Miss?

No, Binos, it's Tuesday night, you know the rules!

But Miss, this is one of my favourite topics!

Binos, you know the rules; come back tomorrow and you may speak.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!
(Thanks for bringing it up, Orac!)

Dop
26th Sep 2006, 13:32
Tossbag and the Metrosexual Knobs should be a band name.
It's very tempting to stick up a MySpace and see who bites.

Binoculars
26th Sep 2006, 13:42
*sneaks in under a heavy disguise*

Anybody else notice the similarity to A Confederacy of Dunces, one of the great books of the modern era?

Arrrgghh, honestly Nurse, I don't need more medication! I'm going, ok? One more needle? Are you sure it's pethidine? Jeez you look nice in that starched uniform, with your long legs and firm pouting ......... zzzzzzzz

ShyTorque
26th Sep 2006, 14:12
All I can say is that he's the only Aussie I've ever had cause to agree with! :E

Capt. Queeg
26th Sep 2006, 15:19
Anyone can write a book, an article or a post. Others don't necessarily want to read it.

The proof, no doubt, will be in the sales figures.

nervous wrecks, “metrosexual knobs” or “toss bags”. Big words for a bloke with man-boobs....

matt_hooks
26th Sep 2006, 22:29
Anyone can write a book, an article or a post. Others don't necessarily want to read it.

The proof, no doubt, will be in the sales figures.

Big words for a bloke with man-boobs....

Ah but that surely proves he is a "REAL MAN" Not giving a toss what he looks like etc. ???

BOFH
26th Sep 2006, 23:20
Ah but that surely proves he is a "REAL MAN" Not giving a toss what he looks like etc. ???

I presume you'd extend this logic to excuse chavs?

Latham's an oaf, hoping to profit from what all Australians know - it's become a country full of wowsers. So be it.

This ugly, worthless, pugnacious, wife-deserting, election-losing, taxi-driver punching, trouser-shining, Gough-brownnosing, union puppet - who, having been a member, and then leader, of the ALP, crystallised effectively all we know and love about that party.

BOFH

Jerricho
26th Sep 2006, 23:28
*Sigh*

Poor old Marky-mark.

It's always everybody elses fault, apart from his.

ORAC
27th Sep 2006, 04:10
He says: “This trend has had a debilitating effect on the Australian language. Instead of calling a spade a spade, our national conversation is now dominated by weasel words and the pretence of politeness. This ugly, worthless, pugnacious, wife-deserting, election-losing, taxi-driver punching, trouser-shining, Gough-brownnosing, union puppet... :} :}

sprocket
27th Sep 2006, 10:26
Well .... somebody will have to fill Germains shoes when she finally moves on. :E

Pinky the pilot
27th Sep 2006, 11:15
I might actually have a read of the latest book that has caused all this fuss;
when it lands on the remaindered shelves, at $1.50 a copy or preferably less!

Still remember seeing literally dozens of Bob Hawkes autobiography on a shelf at a store in Adelaide South Australia with a selling price of $1.
In the end I believe the store dumped them in the rubbish bin.

ORAC
27th Sep 2006, 11:34
Well that´s weird. I went to Amazon.com and did a search in books for "A Conga Line of Suckholes", and their search engine came back with 2 results (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-4211926-9546310?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=A+Conga+Line+of+Suckholes&Go.x=8&Go.y=8)

Number 1 being - "Canada Among Nations" :} :}

Binoculars
27th Sep 2006, 12:53
LOL! I think their search engine needs a little work.

ORAC, I'm still glad you brought it up but having observed the standard of the "debate" I've decided to keep my toes dry. :rolleyes:

BOFH
27th Sep 2006, 14:46
Oh, come on Binos.

What about the time he called (the disabled former minister) Tony Staley 'deformed'?

I've been an expat for a while so didn't see much first-hand what he got up to (apart from my late father pointing out that at least he'd keep that lot out of power). ISTM he took Keating's vulgar stick and stuck it up his own backside.

As vehement as everyone is about his own political convictions, it ill behooves any leader of the Opposition, as a representative (of sorts), of his country to leave the prevailing impression that he is an uncouth, vituperative, loathsome, low-born vagabond. That's what JB is for. :)

BOFH