PDA

View Full Version : Chinook, central London this afternoon

perkin
25th Sep 2006, 22:42
Anyone got any ideas why a chinook was circling low, roughly over Blackfriars station at around 4pm this afternoon?

ATCO Two
26th Sep 2006, 09:16
He was holding for clearance through the LCY CTR on H4 eastbound to the Isle of Dogs. Vortex 438 Odiham to Cottesmore. Was there anything else?

perkin
26th Sep 2006, 11:34
Thanks for that! Just a routine flight then? I don't know why but I just expected another reason for a military aircraft hanging about over London, but I guess they sometimes go from A to B the same as anyone else! Always nice to see Chinooks though, fantastic noise...

silverelise
27th Sep 2006, 11:55
Why would it circle when holding as opposed to just hover?
Is it a noise abatement thing?

Behemoth
27th Sep 2006, 12:14
Why would it circle when holding as opposed to just hover?
Is it a noise abatement thing?

Isn't it because hovering is much more strenuous and naturally has a lower safety margin than simple circling around?

B

WHBM
27th Sep 2006, 13:23
Living close to the Thames (and LCY) we seem to get a Chinook come up or down the H4 helicopter river route almost daily, can hear that noise coming from miles away. But it seems a strange way to go from Odiham to Cottesmore, tying up everyone in London (presumably not just LCY) along the dog-legged way, unless they had a task en route.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Sep 2006, 15:27
<<tying up everyone in London (presumably not just LCY)>>

Pray, how does anyone get tied up? Unless they're into some perversion I don't know about?!

ATCO Two
27th Sep 2006, 15:36
No-one in London was "tied up" by the Chinook. He got a clear run all the way along H3 to Battersea, then H4 to London Bridge to hold for LCY traffic, which is standard practice. As for the routeing, I guess even Her Majesty's Flying Club like to break up their day with a little innocent sightseeing. Maybe he was not in a hurry..

sss
27th Sep 2006, 18:15
No-one in London was "tied up" by the Chinook. He got a clear run all the way along H3 to Battersea, then H4 to London Bridge to hold for LCY traffic, which is standard practice. As for the routeing, I guess even Her Majesty's Flying Club like to break up their day with a little innocent sightseeing. Maybe he was not in a hurry..

and maybe a chance to practise his heliroute nav

scudpilot
30th Sep 2006, 19:10
Was working on the 9th Floor if an office block about 1/2 a mile from the London Eye yesterday and saw the same thing again, looks like a regular flight.

AlanM
1st Oct 2006, 09:37
Yes - they now run a scheduled service. Book online at www.mod.uk or see your travel agent....:D

scudpilot
12th Oct 2006, 12:46
A fellow pruner was mentioning chinook movement(s) over central London a few weeks ago..
Well today, so far we have seen an Apache (about 11ish) and a Merlin (about 10 minutes ago!)

Am working within sight on Big Ben and The London Eye.

perkin
12th Oct 2006, 13:19
It was me asking, if you'd searched for it you'd have answered your question with the replies to my original post!! Just an air traffic route over London, nothing exciting by all accounts...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245429&highlight=chinook

scudpilot
12th Oct 2006, 13:58
was not a question, merely a statement of fact that there had been a couple of movements for anyone who may have been interested....

perkin
12th Oct 2006, 14:33
oh yes, sorry! anyway, link to the previous thread for reference...!

AlanM
12th Oct 2006, 15:35
....and no-one spotted the RN Sea King operating demos on the Thames out of Armoury House??

Blimey.

scudpilot
13th Oct 2006, 08:28
Have quite a small arc of vision from my office window... would like to have seen that though!

scudpilot
31st Oct 2006, 16:29
Read in Heat magazine over the weekend that the Sea King Trials were for a Photo shoot to promote "The Guardian" the new Kevin Costner flick.
Apparently the person being "rescued" was a celeb, whose name escapes me...

smortimore
1st Nov 2006, 21:28
I used to work in a builing (5th Floor) that backed onto The Royal Artillery ground in the City. This is basically a huge field surrounded by buildsings.

Once a month or so there was a lot of noise and one would float down, hang around for a bit on the grass then dissapear. Never did find out what it was upto.