PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood Welsh?!

woolyalan
25th Sep 2006, 22:01
Heard on Radio 2 earlier today that some historian has pissed off the entire of Nottingham by announcing that Robin Hood, and possibly his band of merry men, are infact Welshish :eek:

Did a bit of searching and found this, not read it yet though

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=17810926&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=hood-evans--was-robin-welsh--name_page.html

matt_hooks
25th Sep 2006, 22:06
Hmmmm, I note it is an American making these claims!

I'm surprised he's not claiming he was actually from New Jersey!

Of course he couldn't be American, he never shot any of his own men!

As for him being Welsh, I dunno but he sure loks somewhat sheepish!

dons hat, gloves and waxed jacket and exits stage left, through the window

tony draper
25th Sep 2006, 22:18
Historians have also discovered that Merlin was in fact a Geordie and had never set foot in Wales though he may well have been familiar with the leek as even then it is known that the finest leek growers in the kingdom hail from Tyneside.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
25th Sep 2006, 22:26
Ye knaa it makes me laugh when I hear learned men gan on aboot Camelot, and what happened to it. When all they’ve got to do is look in the greet book of hokeys, it’s aal there.
It goes back to the time of the crusades. Arthur and his mob went to foreign parts to do battle so he left Merlin in charge of the castle. It has to be remembered Camelot was of a great age by this time, and so was Merlin. Anyway waan neet he was messing aboot with some spell or other. Merlin that is. When it all went horribly wrong with an almighty bang and flashing of lightning he managed to blow half the castle to smithereens. The other half was so badly damaged it had to be pulled doon, and a new one built in its place. In them days it took years and years to build a castle a father would start and then his son, and on it went. People stopped calling it by its aad name or just forgot the name altogether, and so it simply got to be called the Newcastle.

goshdarnit
25th Sep 2006, 22:44
Apparently Robin Hood was Welsh; not a bad fly half in his day but of course in the days of yore prior to professionalism. So he "went North". To rob the rich (the League boys) and feed the poor (the shamateurs in Caaaardiff). However his downfall was his propensity for the ovine: it was also down to poor old Robin to coin the phrase "might as well be hung forking a sheep as a lamb", a bastardized version of which exists still today. There is no truth to the rumour, however, that Maid Marion visited Offah's Dyke. Regularly

BlooMoo
25th Sep 2006, 22:55
hail from Tyneside

... a familiar lament. Not remotely drowned out by: 'still living in Tyneside'.

BM:E

reynoldsno1
25th Sep 2006, 23:14
.... I detect a faint whiff of Mormon about this claim .....

ShyTorque
25th Sep 2006, 23:16
There is no truth to the rumour, however, that Maid Marion visited Offah's Dyke. Regularly

First one to mention fingers and dykes gets a special prize....... ;)

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2006, 01:13
I heard that little john maid marion.
But it was probably just a rumour. More likely Triar Fcuk.
Methinks Robin (in his flambouyant green tunic and thigh boots) was probably a Bertie Woofter. After all, there was his Merry Men. Why were THEY so merry, when they had no female company. Surely they would have been Miserable Sods? Ooops!

Bluesteel705
26th Sep 2006, 01:23
Robin Hood was Robin of Locksley, a village to the North of Sheffield. Little John is buried in Derbyshire, Maid Marion was from Barnsley and the forest he roamed was at Barnsdale near Pontefract. He even died in Wakefield. The only link with Nottingham is that its Sheriff used to persecute him. However if you must be taken in by the con, a trip to the Major Oak and the Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre will soon put you off. :ok:

Are you sure the author isnt thining of Twm Sion Cati , who was 'The Welsh Robin Hood' but not THE Robin Hood?

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2006, 01:30
Maid Marion was from Barnsley
And she was a MAID? :confused:

He even died in Wakefield.
Prison?

Bluesteel705
26th Sep 2006, 01:37
And she was a MAID?

No she was Mad.

Baldrick: My favourite's the Shadow. (Admiringly) What a man! They say he's
half-way to being the new Robin Hood.

Blackadder: Why only half-way?

Baldrick: Well he steals from the rich, but he hasn't got round to giving it
to the poor yet. Look! I've got a poster of him.

Buster Hyman
26th Sep 2006, 01:38
I'm surprised he's not claiming he was actually from New Jersey!

He was born in California!!!
http://mud.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/2511784195

"Taffy Hood, Taffy Hood, riding through the Glenn..."