PDA

View Full Version : It's a Girl!

TooL8
25th Sep 2006, 15:02
Baby girl delivered on BA flight 215 to Boston :O

BBC has it covered (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5378042.stm)

Well done everybody.

Taildragger67
25th Sep 2006, 15:26
Great news and well handled, by the account.

Now for the questions - what will young Nadine's nationality be?
- US (child born to a US citizen; also where the aircraft was heading)
- UK (born on a UK aircraft which is effectively UK territory)
- Canadian (where the aircraft first landed)
- Egyptian (if the mother - or father - still holds Egyptian citizenship)

???

Doubtless this will make the cover of the next BA News!!

angelorange
25th Sep 2006, 15:54
Good to read some good news for once!

v1r8
25th Sep 2006, 15:54
I was wondering the same thing... What if I (100% euro Dutch trash), and my girl (100% yankee trash) would get a kid in lets say Italy...

Is he or she Italian? Dutch? American? WTF ? :)

V1.

Keygrip
25th Sep 2006, 15:57
Landed in Canada?

Was that the easy way out of trying to explain to the US Authorities why they had carried a passenger for which they had not transmitted the name of before departure?

DX Wombat
25th Sep 2006, 16:36
The fact that you are born in the UK does NOT automatically give you British Citizenship.

cwatters
25th Sep 2006, 16:59
The fact that you are born in the UK does NOT automatically give you British Citizenship.

Quite correct. I believe the parent has to be settled in the UK not just passing through.

Will Hung
25th Sep 2006, 17:05
DXW - Quite right ! Seems to me, to be a British Citizen you have to be born outside the UK, and enter illegally !!!!

Taildragger67
25th Sep 2006, 17:09
Quite correct. I believe the parent has to be settled in the UK not just passing through.

I see the error of my ways:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/bn1?view=Standard

and helpfully
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11464/bn1charta.pdf

Not quite, Will.

I was born o/s but came here quite legally. Now the proud owner of a Little Red Book.

Spitoon
25th Sep 2006, 17:35
Ahhh, if you were truly a Brit you'd bemoan the passing of the bigger blue book!!

Taildragger67
25th Sep 2006, 17:38
Ahhh, if you were truly a Brit you'd bemoan the passing of the bigger blue book!!

Mate that's the one I wanted, hand-written and all, but we'll take what we are given and be grateful.

Still, I can't understand why the details are in the BACK...

G-WHOT
25th Sep 2006, 18:45
The uk CAA hold the register for births and deaths on UK (G-) aircraft where ever they are operating in the world. So I think with a british birth certificate this little girl will be entitled to a british passport if she wishes in the future.

If any one know better , speak up.

Globaliser
25th Sep 2006, 18:50
If any one know better , speak up.Afraid that the above posts are correct. If being born on a G- registered aircraft is the same as being born in the UK, the child is not entitled to British nationality just because she has a British birth certificate. Being born in the UK does not automatically entitle you to British nationality. That rule was abolished on 1 January 1983.

F900EX
25th Sep 2006, 18:57
Years ago there was some old wives tale that a kid born en-route gets free flights for life...

Any truth or history in that ?

spannersatcx
25th Sep 2006, 18:57
DXW - Quite right ! Seems to me, to be a British Citizen you have to be born outside the UK, and enter illegally !!!!
and not be able to speak English either:=

Best foot forward
25th Sep 2006, 20:00
for the Canadian citizenship, they are liked by most of the world.;)

colmac747
25th Sep 2006, 20:44
Is the same baby or a different one?:p :rolleyes:

barit1
25th Sep 2006, 22:54
Years ago there was some old wives tale that a kid born en-route gets free flights for life...
Any truth or history in that ?

Perhaps, until the airline folds...

ShyTorque
25th Sep 2006, 22:59
Will that make her duty free, then?

The AvgasDinosaur
25th Sep 2006, 23:28
I just hope that her mother got her first feed checked by security prior to departure:confused: Or does the inflight change of manifest revert to Captains priviledge and or discretion:ok:
:D :D To all concerned
Be lucky
David

Nov71
26th Sep 2006, 00:34
If they landed in US or returned to UK they might have had to explain that puddle of smuggled liquid in the aisle :O

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2006, 02:16
Wonder if the Sky Marshal broke cover and said "Madam! You are NOT permitted to DO that! Stop immediately, or I will have to shoot!" ?

ALLDAYDELI
26th Sep 2006, 12:51
Which day did this happen? Does anyone know? BA215 departs LHR around 1630, was it Saturday or Sunday?

Taildragger67
26th Sep 2006, 13:02
From the Halifax Chronicle Herald:

Woman gives birth on plane

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter

It was probably the biggest stork in the air Saturday night.

A woman gave birth on board a British Airways flight from London to Boston, necessitating a diversion to Halifax and the IWK Health Centre.

"The baby girl was born on the aircraft," airport spokesman Peter Spurway said Sunday night.

"Everybodyís fine," he said of the 28-year-old mom and her infant, who was born six weeks premature.

The pair were met on the tarmac by ambulances from Emergency Health Services at about 7 p.m.

Mr. Spurway didnít know who delivered the baby on board the plane, which can seat upwards of 400 people.

"Very often, especially on large flights like that, itís not unusual to have at least a doctor or a nurse or two on board and they would be paged Ö to assist."

EHS spokeswoman Jean Spicer confirmed Sunday that two people were taken from the airport to the IWK on Saturday night. One patient was transported to hospital with full lights and sirens engaged, while the other was transported with no lights or sirens.

Other passengers on board the flight were back in the air at about 8:40 p.m. to resume their flight to Boston.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Search/530306.html

stator vane
26th Sep 2006, 13:13
how many are conceived in flight?

that should count for something.

if conceived in flight, does the Y chromosome tend to prevail?

more research is needed--

ORAC
26th Sep 2006, 13:27
Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness, 989 U.N.T.S. 175, entered into force Dec. 13, 1975. (http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/w2crs.htm)

Barnaby the Bear
26th Sep 2006, 18:30
I think the security implications are endless. Mother smuggles person on board in womb!!!!!!! .... The security at the airport needs looking into!!!:eek: :} :} :}

TwinAisle
28th Sep 2006, 15:16
if conceived in flight, does the Y chromosome tend to prevail?

What, so the poor bugger ends up with a penchant for economy?

I must have a J gene... and I wonder if I can lay claim to an F one?

:ok: