PDA

View Full Version : "Dogs kill baby" escalates.

G-CPTN
25th Sep 2006, 14:17
Police are investigating a murder in Leicester believed to be linked to the mauling death of a five-month-old girl by two rottweilers, according to Sky News sources.

A 47-year-old woman was found dead in the early hours of Sunday.

frostbite
25th Sep 2006, 15:34
Meanwhile, HMG are proposing introducing training and licencing for all dog owners.

Bandwagon & Jumping..........

Mr Lexx
25th Sep 2006, 15:37
Turns out that the dead baby's Grandfather and his partner were attacked in their home, the partner died from stab wounds.

G-CPTN
25th Sep 2006, 15:58
Those of tender years might be unaware that the UK DID have dog-licencing (7s 6d) IIRC, but it was ditched as being uneconomical to collect (owners had to renew it at the Post Office). 7s 6d was also (coincidentally) what vets charged to dispatch unwanted pets. Every year was a dilemma . . . . Licence? or vet?

Having been the (father of a) guardian of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and having got to know the breed, I have YET to meet one that wouldn't roll over to have its tummy tickled (much to the chagrin of the 'hard' handler). The danger (of a dog like a Staffie) is that they have powerful jaws, and, even a 'game' of tug-of-war could easily prove fatal to a human of tender age.
I've also known (non-commercial guard dog) Rottweillers kept as pets, and, AFAIRC, slavver was the greatest danger. At first I wondered whether the current incident might be doggy boisterousness, but reports in the media attribute 'evil, vicious behaviour' to these two (obviously) guard dogs. Mind, you, 'Bark worse than their bite" must be born in mind.
I wouldn't leave a young baby (or child) alone and unsupervised with ANY 'pet', be it dog (including toy breeds) or cat, snake or rat. It's not unknown for cats to seek out warm places to sit . . .

Maybe what is happening now is symptomatic of the family's life style?

For our non-UK members:- http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13544057,00.html

BOFH
25th Sep 2006, 18:54
Those of tender years might be unaware that the UK DID have dog-licencing
Parent-licensing would be more like it.

It sounds like a ghastly neck of the woods all round.

BTW, G-CPTN, that link you posted is a ray of sunshine - psychopaths, shootings terror and innocuous plants :eek:

BOFH

matt_hooks
25th Sep 2006, 20:38
Once again the media have been playing the old game of "hunt the local who'll say something dramatic and exaggerated when we poke a microphone in their face"

One woman said: "They went for her face, completely ripped her apart. Apparently they dragged her onto the roof."

Amy Grimbley, who lives in the next street, said the rottweilers were used as guard dogs and were always kept out of the pub itself.

She said: "The dogs are known to be vicious. They stay on the roof and whenever you walk past you get the feeling they could just jump down and attack you."

Obviously the first one is rather stupid. Starting off as if she actually saw what happened, followed by "apparently they dragged her onto the roof" So from this we surmise her information is of the second, if not third or forth hand kind.

And then the final comment. Sounds like the sort of person who would jump at their own shadow!

Of course it is tragic that a young life has been lost, but it is very difficult to blame the animals for doing what they have been trained to do. I would like to see the owners prosecuted for not keeping their animals under proper control!

MarcJF
25th Sep 2006, 21:22
Sky news just mentioned that a "family" member has been arrested in connection with the murder, it seems the natural grandfathers son?

BlooMoo
25th Sep 2006, 21:32
Blair could possibly have been onto something with the eugenics angle...

BM;)

mini
26th Sep 2006, 01:30
Bottom line,

Don't let a pet near the sprog.

Basic risk analysis, what is the probability vs what is the consequence...

Bad dog... no bone!

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2006, 01:49
'Reports' (!) suggest that the dogs were usually confined to the external 'roof space'.
The residents were moving furniture, and a door to the 'roof' was left insecure.
The dogs entered the living space, found the baby in her bedroom, and dragged her out to their domain, where they dragged her about.
Personally (my own unquantified theory) I think they were excited at discovering a bundle and probably shook it as many dogs might a rag doll. As I've repeatedly said, it doesn't alleviate the suffering of the baby, but it maybe explains the behaviour of the dogs. Pure speculation of course.