PDA

View Full Version : EMB145 Pilot? Offered EJ TRSS? Said no? How many?

devokeuk
25th Sep 2006, 11:56
Hi folks.

I would be interested to hear from Emb145 pilots (or any other Pilot for that matter) who have been through the Easyjet selection process, offered a position via the TRSS scheme and declined the post.

I fly the EMB145, with 1600 hours on it and a full ATPL.
I was offered a job recently, but on reflection I could not afford the drop in salary and no wages for 2 months. Before I applied I thought that maybe I could accept the TRSS T & C and ride out no salary for 2 months, but after crunching my finance figures again, I just can't afford to so I had to say no thanks.

Quite gutted really, but thats life I suppose.

Cheers.

Hansard
25th Sep 2006, 14:32
Not me, but I know someone who has just gone through selection with Easyjet and another jet operator. He took the latter with a lower salary rather than pay for the TR.

Pay for a TR and repay an outstanding bond and live without an income during training?? Not many can afford it.

Longchop
25th Sep 2006, 19:42
I know of one perosn who turned down Easyjet!!

Good on you i say.....soon they will realise that their offer is terrible!!

Liftdumper
25th Sep 2006, 19:54
As an CRJ pilot with over 3000 hours, I turned down EZY.
I'd like to work for them, but not with those initial terms.

ROSCO328
25th Sep 2006, 21:12
Trying to understand your comment regarding what you think is so "terrible" about the Easy jet offer? Don't get me wrong your entitled to your opinion of course but I fail to see why someone in your shoes with TP time and only mid twenties would say no 2 the Trss offer?? i.e Good money (even on Trss) , great prospects, expanding AND making money!! My experience is very similar to yours but personally I am thinking 2-4 years down the track.

All the best :ok:

Sir Thomas
25th Sep 2006, 21:27
don't know who U're talking about , but I thought both the EMB 145 and CRJ were jets , not TP?

SpringbokDreamer
25th Sep 2006, 21:30
I havent turned down EZY but have been so so put off by the T's and C's I'd love to fly for them but WILL NOT take a slap in the face for it... Well done devokeuk and others for standing up for the real world!:ok: :D

Untill the practice changes I won't be applying. Those that do, well good luck to you and I hope you'll have a great time. I just hope and pray the industry picks up its socks and starts to realise that as a pilot we're there to be a key member of the team and not some piece of crap to be walked over.

:{

monkeyboy
25th Sep 2006, 21:57
Well Done devokeuk!
I take my hat off to you. I shall keep my fingers crossed for your with regards to your other opportunity! ;)
MB

ROSCO328
26th Sep 2006, 05:30
View peoples public profile,what they comment on isn't always that in which they fly. If that info is wrong I apologise in advance.

SpringbokDreamer
26th Sep 2006, 09:56
View peoples public profile,what they comment on isn't always that in which they fly. If that info is wrong I apologise in advance.

Longchop was telling us about his friend and in his opinion the offer is terrible. I'm inclined to agree whole heartedly. Why, if they want you, should you pay out of your banks own pocket to fund a type rating and on top of that not get payed during the rating and on top of that not get the full (Reduced(AS youre a TRSS)) salary in the first 6 months.. that's having your cake and eating it and having a bag of chips on the side and a cold bottle of coke to wash it all down with....

:sad:

and as for profiles...I'm not really that different to Longchop

ROSCO, we've all got our opinion yours is that EZY TRSS is fine and our is that the TRSS, no pay and then a reduced pay is :mad: If they want us :mad: pay us!!

Sir Thomas
26th Sep 2006, 12:03
I sit corrected

ROSCO328
26th Sep 2006, 15:15
No problem my friend I do resect your opinion AND points you raised regarding not being paid whilst training plus a 10% reduction on salary for 6 months I agree are wrong! But for me the bigger picture meets my ambitions and can advance my career much quicker than I hoped for. I wish you guys all the best whatever you choose :ok:

Exeasy
26th Sep 2006, 15:46
The TRSS scheme is not everyone's cup of tea and I am against it. One way to look at it though if you must do it is as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Many of the career airlines require x number of hours on heavy jets ( 55T+ ) and ej aircraft fit nicely into this area.
A large number of people left ej last year, myself included, with many of these being TRSS people. They left still with large proportion of their loans still to pay to fly for the likes of BA, Virgin etc. Why? lifestyle, career prospects etc. They did the sums and worked out even owing the loan, they would be better off if they moved to a career airline. Use it and abuse it just like ej will use and abuse you!

Pizzaro
28th Sep 2006, 12:19
I'm on the ERJ 145 got over 2000hrs on it and 4700hrs total. Still thinking about applying to Easy. 2 months without wages is still putting me off (mortgage, daughter at nursery etc,etc), more than the bond. Heres hoping they change their requirements.

Regards P.

HundredPercentPlease
28th Sep 2006, 12:46
Easy need 450 pilots over the next year. I imagine that if I were a manager at Easy, I'd start off by sticking to TRSS until all those who are going to accept it have done. Then, to get the remaining pilots, I'd drop the scheme.

Might just be worth saying no for the moment, might save you about £30,000 total.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
28th Sep 2006, 13:57
At the risk of upsetting the fine chaps who fly the Emb 145 and of repeating comments I have made previously, this is simply supply and demand. There are literally hundreds of candidates for easyJet sat on our database right now. They are all qualified airline pilots and many of them are willing to sign up to TRSS. I understand that you may not like it, but as long as there are people who are willing to sign up to it then TRSS will continue.

As you would expect on an anonymous forum, there is no shortage of closet revolutionaries who wish to radically transform the way airlines do business. They are entitled to that view, but they should be under no illusion that whilst they rant forth, many others are quietly filling in the online application form. I personally do not think that the TRSS deal is that bad - but that is only my personal opinion. I would urge caution to those 'light jet' guys who feel their noses are put out of joint by what is being demanded - it is not that bad a deal and you should not cut off your nose to spite your face. It is indeed true that we require 450 pilots next year, but again you need some sense of perspective - there are over 4000 unemployed but qualified frozen ATPLs in Spain alone. No doubt there are many others here too but I do not know the specific figures. There is indeed a shortage of 'suitable' pilots - but what that means is type-rated guys with 500 hrs+ on type. There is no shortage whatsoever of qualified ATPLs and that situation is not likely to change any time soon.

This rush for pilots will not last for ever and when the bulge goes down so will those Boeing and Airbus opportunities. As any pilot who has been around a long time will tell you, in times of famine people with Boeing and Airbus ratings are where its at. This business is basically a game of 'Musical Chairs' and right now the music is playing very loudly - just remember that the plan is to be on the strongest chair when the music stops! As one who once applied for an Emb 145 and never even got an interview I know that it is a great machine. Nonetheless, it is not a Boeing or an Airbus! The bottom line, however, is that you need to get that Boeing or Airbus rating, and sat there with your feathers ruffled over TRSS could lead you to make some bad decisions that are ultimately not in your best interests.

AFCAS TARGET
28th Sep 2006, 14:06
NSF,

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Supply and demand at its finest. I am about to join Easy and can't wait. I will NOT be on the TRSS though. (thank heavens). The way it reads though it probably the cheapest rating you'll ever buy, considering you are getting a tidy little sum while working. This is feast or famine and as NSF said when music's over....well. Good luck to all whichever way you decide, just think where do you want to be in 5 , 10 years, Doubt you'll be thinking much about a few pound then. All views expressed are my own, thank you very much.

Kak Klaxon
28th Sep 2006, 15:13
I guess the point is would you ,when you are a high time easy pilot expect to pay 23k to go to work for Cathy,VS or a 787 operator.Does years in the job really not count for anything anymore.

Good points from Fletch which may make me think again.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
28th Sep 2006, 15:57
Hi KK - 'Years in the job' do count. They, alas, have to be the years in the 'right' job! There is a magic 'line in the sand' in terms of employer perception - it is probably drawn above the Emb145 and below a 737 or A320. I would not in any way attemp to justify that line, but it exists in all but name. What that means, in effect, is that to be considered for any job on the market the 'entry level' is a Boeing or an Airbus rating. Coming back to my original point, you need that rating - if companies like easyJet will give you it, then in the big scheme of life £23k is actually small beef. I have done the whole turboprop, 146 thing, and been frustrated at every step of the way, so I am very sympathetic. Nonetheless, I am a realist and now understand the airline business in a way I did not when I first started out. You need that rating - without it you are vulnerable. It is not rational, just or reasonable but that nonetheless is the way it is. Best of luck with the decision making.

Longchop
28th Sep 2006, 19:17
Trying to understand your comment regarding what you think is so "terrible" about the Easy jet offer? Don't get me wrong your entitled to your opinion of course but I fail to see why someone in your shoes with TP time and only mid twenties would say no 2 the Trss offer?? i.e Good money (even on Trss) , great prospects, expanding AND making money!! My experience is very similar to yours but personally I am thinking 2-4 years down the track.
All the best :ok:

No pay for 4-6weeks
90% pay for 6 months
No comitment from EZY until you have passed your LST
Not told your base until 1 month before you join. This isnt a big deal i know but when the main reason for joining ezy is to get a specific base then it does become a big deal. Especially when the bases are at different ends of the country or even in Ireland!
Pay 3k for an AHC before you get the definite job offer from Ezy
Pay off your airline bond in full before joining Ezy
Purchase a laptop for the traning course
Pay for your own uniform

Yes the money isnt bad but you do work very hard for it.
The planes are new which is a big advantage.

All in all it just makes you feel a little like a pawn on a chess board. Even main stream, none flying jobs dont have these kinds of terms and conditions.

I just dont want to work for another low cost airline. I already work for one and want to move to an ailrine who will pay for my TR. If i have to wait for that day then so be it!

But like yourself Rossco, if in 4 yrs time i havent found a jet job with over 3000turbine hrs then i may have to look at Easyjet and you never know the TRSS will probably have been abolished by then!

Good Luck

Norman Stanley Fletcher
30th Sep 2006, 02:05
When in a year to eighteen months, Rosco is an Airbus captain, the market has collapsed due to its cyclical nature and there are no Boeing or Airbus jobs anywhere, then people's views on the TRSS scheme might be very different to what they are today. In my judgement, Rosco's decision making process is absolutely correct and he will be very well placed very quickly.

The best I can see for those who are waiting it out is a revised TRSS whereby salaries are paid from day one. I have no knowledge of that, but that is about all I can anticipate in the way of changes any time soon. Incidentally, easyJet will very shortly be announcing the best ever financial performance in the company's history with a 40-50% increase over the orignal predicited profit levels. That is despite the highest ever fuel prices plus a disastrous flight ops management miscalculation of crewing levels, which caused us to sub-out a large number of flights this Summer. We are not perfect, but for my money easyJet is a great place to be right now.

ROSCO328
30th Sep 2006, 09:48
Like I said before my man ,you are perfectly entiteld to your opinion. Just to clarify though,the 23k is the same wheather you do the AHC or not and I'm sure most companies will insist on a bond being paid b4 you leave?. As you said though.....
I just dont want to work for another Low cost airline
All the best and good luck :ok:

orangetree
30th Sep 2006, 10:49
Easyjet changed their TRSS/DEP terms lastmonth giving more recognition to types like the 146. I wouldn't envisage any further changes to it in the short term. Although I agree with most of NSF's comments, the company is hiding behind the supposed availability of low houred candidates. This will bite them in the long term when they become even more critically short of captains than they are now. However on the other side of the fence, guys who spurn it now are cutting their nose of to spite their face. There are plenty of Tprop guys who bit the bullet and joined the company only a year ago who are now going on command courses. Perhaps the emb boys should factor in the 'boeing/bus command in 12-18 months' into their figures.