PDA

View Full Version : To Revalidate or not to revalidate

mikejwright
23rd Sep 2006, 16:26
Hi all

I'm a new member on here and I'd just like some advice.

My PPL lapsed in may 2005, I haven't flown since March 2005. I have 170 hours with all the qualifying cross country and night flights done.

I am currently studying for the ATPL exams with Bristol, sitting Mod 1 in Feb 2007.

My question is should I revalidate my license now or should I wait until I've finished my exams i.e. just before the CPL course?

Thanks

Mike

Wodka
24th Sep 2006, 16:39
Depends when your gonna start the CPL module. Prob a good idea to get it sorted, get back upto speed and then get a nice run in before the course starts, hence hopefully avoiding costly extra lessons because your rusty.

mikejwright
25th Sep 2006, 19:53
I'll probably be doing the CPL in sept 2007 at EFT in Florida.

Thanks for the advice.

GusHoneybun
25th Sep 2006, 23:57
when you say your ppl has lapsed, do you mean the SEP rating or the actual licence itself.

if just the SEP rating, then this only needs a check with an examiner to get you valid again. if this is the case and you don't fancy flying until you start your CPL training, then you are better off waiting until just before your CPL to get your SEP rating valid again. gives you a chance to get back into the swing of things before commencing your CPL training. this can probably be done in the states.

however, if the actual PPL has lapsed, then you have to re-apply for you PPL by doing some training, a test and then sending lots of money to the CAA. As this opens up into a whole new world ball-ache, you are probably better of getting this started sooner rather than later.

mikejwright
27th Sep 2006, 17:29
Yes it is just my SEP rating that has lapsed. I think I'll take your advice and wait until before my CPL, so I can concentrate on passing the ATPL's.

pipergirl
27th Sep 2006, 18:39
I wouldn't worry about it tbh...

you'll need to do a skills test again with an examiner-
it's no big deal, I had to do it myself a while ago..it's much better for you to do it just before you do your CPL as it will help get you back up to speed:)