PDA

View Full Version : Maximum G Loading for Avro Anson and Catalina.

Centaurus
23rd Sep 2006, 13:11
Does anyone recall the max permissable "G" load for the Avro Anson and Catalina? My guess around 3G?

Malcolm G O Payne
23rd Sep 2006, 17:18
I have only flown the Anson 1 and that was some 40 years ago but from memory I would think that 3G is about right.

henry crun
23rd Sep 2006, 21:49
How would you know ?

Malcolm G O Payne
23rd Sep 2006, 22:07
Well, I was not long out of the RAF, where I had gained some idea of G forces and I was one of the demonstration pilots for Skyfame on their Anson. You got a feeling for what you could do, especially when I had the fabric on the underside of the fuselage split in one display.

pigboat
24th Sep 2006, 02:27
Centaurus, suggest you PM Chuck Ellsworth. He's current on the PBY, and used to work for a company that operated the Anson on airborne magnetometer survey. I seem to recall the PBY is just less than 3 G, but it's been 40 years. :O

henry crun
24th Sep 2006, 03:49
Malcolm G O Payne: Apologies, I did not mean to imply you wouldn't have a good idea of the G you were pulling.

I cannot speak for the Catalina but the copy of Anson pilots notes I read a long time ago had no reference to G limits.
What I meant was that there was no point in showing such information because it was before the introduction of G meters, and thus pilots would have no way of knowing what they were pulling.

Malcolm G O Payne
24th Sep 2006, 10:00
Henry, sorry, I didn't mean to appear supercilious. My conversion to the Anson was by a friend who had flown the later models going round the cockpit with me and saying "Climb at 70 and approach at 70 and you'll be alright". There were no Pilots Notes available which is why I felt that I would not like to impose more that 3 G on it.

Centaurus
26th Sep 2006, 12:43
Many thanks for replies. I have RAF/RAAF Pilots' Notes for several aircraft and max G limits are not in them.