PDA

View Full Version : KLM or Easy

u0062
23rd Sep 2006, 11:43
Interestinged to know what your views are. Live in the uk familyand all that not practicle to move. Would have to commute to Holland Better starting salaries at Easy but not so good pension. Wouldhave tolearn Dutch eventually.
Thanks in anticipation

PGA
23rd Sep 2006, 12:15
Just out of interest, have you got an interview with KLM? I`m a Dutch national but since I haven`t trained at their almighty flight acadamy I stand no chance of a job with them, even though I have 1500 hours TT with 1200 hrs EFIS jet....

bluepilot
23rd Sep 2006, 12:44
Hi PGA

The UK pilots who work for KLM Cityhopper have an option now to transfer to KLM mainline, they have to follow the full selection procedure like anyone else. I presume that U0062 is one of these pilots.

flash8
23rd Sep 2006, 13:22
PGA still has a point...

Otterman
23rd Sep 2006, 15:52
PGA makes an observation. KLM at the present time can recruit enough pilots through their regular sources. That seems to be the point to me. Supply and demand. If and when that changes (like it did back in the late eighties to mid-nineties) the "free-market" pilots will get their chance. And I am sure his Dutch language skills, and flying time will give him a leg up at that time.

The ex-KLC UK pilots have negotiated through their union (BALPA) a deal whereby the option to switch over to KLM mainline is again available to them. The conditions are indeed that they have to go through the normal hiring process, join at the bottom of the list, but keep their pay scale from KLM Cityhopper until their pay at KLM mainline catches up to that pay scale. Also the condition to learn Dutch is part of the deal. These pilots are already valuable members of the Air France/KLM group, and they now get the opportunity to, if they so desire, to make the switch to mainline flying.

I wish PGA luck and hope the growth spurt that is forecasted will make it possible for him to be considered for recruitment.

Greetings O.

Riker
23rd Sep 2006, 18:13
Just learn some basic Dutch (all KLM pilots speak good English anyway) and go see the world!

fortuna76
24th Sep 2006, 10:01
Hai u0062,

Back to your original question, I think my situation is quite similar to yours, in that I will have to move to Holland and take a paycut to start at KLM. However, I will definately do it for many reasons:

- Eventually your salary will increase above Easyjet's
- Pension plan is second to none, with retirement at 56
- You have the option in your career to fly short or longhaul adjusting to your personal needs
- Part time possible
- 10 weeks holiday per year
- Normal working patterns, normal working days. 2 or 3 leg-days instead of 4
- Good union
- Still only a 45min flight to the UK, and now you can jumpseat!
- At present a 737 position and 80% contract will easily allow you to manipulate your schedule in a way so you can commute from the UK.

There are many more reasons for me. I am not at all saying Easyjet is a bad company, but it does appear to me that the pilots are on average more happy in klm. Just think about the number of pilots complaining about Easyjet and the number complaining in KLM. And consider how many pilots have left KLM versus Easyjet. To me that says a lot.

Good luck with your decision!

u0062
26th Sep 2006, 10:48
Thanks for the feedback guys. PGA I am a klcuk pilot presently working for cityhopper on the F100/70. I am in the envious position of being offered employment should i pass the selection process.I have also completed the easy assesment and have been offered employment with them.I understand your frustations with not being part of the "almighty academy" However the feeling is that they simple cannot supply suficient pilots via the academy or the airforce therefore the will have to look at the open market.It would be nice to fly with someone with a little experience.

seat 0A
28th Sep 2006, 03:59
10 weeks holiday? I wish!

(guess there`s something to complain about anyway :bored:

SOPS
28th Sep 2006, 06:25
stay away:)

Otterman
28th Sep 2006, 08:38
SOPS, since your first post back on July 13, 2001 (first one I can find) the quality of your responses have undergone a rapid decline from nonsensical, to totally useless. This latest post is just further proof. Congratulations!

Btw 6 weeks holidays at KLM.

fortuna76
29th Sep 2006, 10:27
Absolutely right on that, only 6 weeks holidays. I got confused with a buddy of mine who got 10 weeks holidays through ways of compensation days and such. But official holidays is 6 weeks....(still 3 weeks more then my current job...)

Regards