PDA

View Full Version : Lancair 320

BrokenConrod
23rd Sep 2006, 04:06
Hey guys!

I am looking at buying a Lancair 320, and would be interested to hear from anyone with experience on this aircraft.

I am a PPL with about 300 hrs - mostly on C172RG.

BC:8

777WakeTurbz
23rd Sep 2006, 05:00
http://www.atsb.com.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/aair200601640.aspx

You sound an awful lot like this guy! :}

PittsS2A
23rd Sep 2006, 07:15
Broken Conrod,

I don't have any experience flying a Lancair 320 but, from talking to quite a few people that do have experience, I would suggest some training in something with higher performance than a 172RG before looking at a Lancair 320.

The reason I say this is because, from what I have been lead to believe, the Lancair is the sort of aeroplane that goes like stink whilst the donk is turning, but when it stops it converts to a flying brick.

Other things you need to consider are slowing the damn thing down when you are doing approaches.

Suggest you talk to someone who has one and done a considerable amount of hours in one.

Don't let that stop you from considering it and I'm not judging your ability as a pilot, I just don't like to see people jumping into such a high performance machine and finding out the hard way that they are not quite up to the perormance level of the aeroplane they are strapped into.

Cheers
Pitts

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Sep 2006, 10:06
Not for the faint hearted I think.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/fltrpts/lanc360/hq.htm

Don't know how different the 320 is.

amos2
23rd Sep 2006, 10:19
Want to live a long life?...

then buy a C150!

When you've got 5000 hrs plus...

then go and buy a Lancair!

Enjoy your flying!!

DirectAnywhere
23rd Sep 2006, 10:24
Haven't flown it myself but this link (http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf/Lancair%20320%20APR.pdf#search=%22lancair%20320%20flight%20t est%22) is excellent.

The conclusion is particularly telling and relevant.

It sounds like a great fun aeroplane but if you do go and buy one find an experienced instructor and make sure you really know the aeroplane's handling inside out and back to front before letting yourself loose in it.

Cheers.

J430
24th Sep 2006, 02:49
Bang for buck, if you dont mind going a bit slower, buy a Jabiru J430. Nothing (and enough threads have been done on this) and I mean nothing will beat them when it comes down to the cost, comfort, payload, speed and general ease of handling.

If you want more speed, and prepared to pay heaps more for it, like you would with the Lancair, I would thoroughly recomend the Vans RV-10. Again nothing in its price range ($200-250K) or higher beats it for overall value, and these are a much less difficult plane to fly. If you only need a two seater, the RV6A or RV7A is the way to go.

PM me if you want some more information

Cheers
J:ok:

The Messiah
24th Sep 2006, 03:03
A good transition might be a few hours in a later model Mooney 201 if you can find someone to let you at it.

BrokenConrod
24th Sep 2006, 03:44
http://www.atsb.com.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/aair200601640.aspx

You sound an awful lot like this guy! :}

You are correct WT! That was the intention.

Thank you to those who replied to my post, and I apologise if you are offended by the deception (only one of many on this site?)

I actually have a bunch more experience than indicated, including many "high performance" light aircraft, and I actually have no desire to sit in a Lancair 320 let alone buy one. Just cannot get into plastic for other than boats.

However, I have now lost 4 friends/acquaintances in this type included the pilot of the aircraft in the report above.

Like many, In more than 3 decades of flying I have known a bunch of people who have "bought the farm", but this one has troubled me a lot and has left be to wonder at the advice being given to a relatively low time pilot, by someone.

Maybe he ignored the advice given - don't know! That didn't seem part of his character.

I needed to find out whether, if the senario was posed to a group of experienced pilots, their response would be the same as mine?

It was - "don't do it"!

Cheers

BC:8

ausflying
24th Sep 2006, 04:09
with 300TT you should probably stay well away from a Lancair 320 and look more towards an RV of some sort.

Ratshit
24th Sep 2006, 05:03
You are correct WT! That was the intention

Not sure about this BC. Is "senario testing" a role for this forum?

Interestingly, I read recently that in the US the Lancair seems to have replaced the Bonanza as the most common aeroplane in which Doctors manage to kill themselves.

R:cool:

Tidbinbilla
24th Sep 2006, 21:14
Scenario testing using false pretences will NOT be tolerated. If you wish to troll BROKEN CONROD, take it elsewhere.