PDA

View Full Version : 3D TV

tilewood
22nd Sep 2006, 18:15
According to the BBC by 2010 3D television will begin to become commercially available.

Based on advanced hologram technology., it should be possible to
see Gordon Brown stabbing Tony Bliar in the back!!

However by 2010 when asked who they are most enlightened people will say.
"Who?!"

Will Eastenders in 3D be just as funny?!! :rolleyes:

tony draper
22nd Sep 2006, 18:20
Bah! John Logie Baird demonstrated a wide screen full colour hi definition(1000 lines) stereoscopic television set in 1946,he was streets ahead of everybody.
:rolleyes:

tilewood
22nd Sep 2006, 18:31
Bah! John Logie Baird demonstrated a wide screen full colour hi definition(1000 lines) stereoscopic television set in 1946,he was streets ahead of everybody.

Yes but we might have seen that Muffin the Mule was on strings!

Another dream ruined!! :=

Lon More
22nd Sep 2006, 19:32
Muffin the Mule was on strings
Bestility and sadism in one show. Definitely ahead of its time

tony draper
22nd Sep 2006, 19:39
When he Americans decided to go into colour TV they tried desperatly to find out how Baird did it, but by the time all the kit had disapeared and Baird was dead,they did manage to get hold on parts of one of his cameras though.
They should have asked the British guvmint,they would have probably given it them for nowt just like they did with the Jet Engine.
Just think had we not been so generous that 747 would not be able to carry as many pax,because there would be a feckin gurt great elastic band running forard to aft through the pax deck driving the propellor.

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2006, 19:45
How 3D do you want it? Last night...me proposing to Terry Hatcher.

Oh, the rejection.:{

Just potted off the screen with me camera.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Rejection.jpg

Cos she's so lovely, here is another one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/17thSept06089.jpg

I was going to report on me new telly, but other things have got in the way. Not bad. still some hint of the anti-reflect surface, but not as much as the earlier generation.

50" 6 million pixel thingy, snapped with Nilon D50 Ha!!! that was a Freudian slip...slip, oh no! there's another one. Must go and lie down.

tony draper
22nd Sep 2006, 20:31
What is it about you young chaps that you lust after skeletal biddies like that above,she has a pleasent enough face but legs like pipe cleaners and boney shoulders? one shall not describe her figure because she does not appear to have one.
Yer want a bird with a birra meat on em.
Yer all latent necrophiliacs if yer ask me.
:hmm: :rolleyes:

Grainger
22nd Sep 2006, 20:59
...me proposing to Terry Hatcher :rolleyes:Terry ? She's not a bloke you know.

Hey L_R: Next time you propose to a young lady, you might have more success if you at least got her name right ! :p

ps: Teri, for goodness sake . . . eat something !!

frostbite
22nd Sep 2006, 21:36
I think I've mislaid my 3D glasses.....

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2006, 21:45
When we get 3D TV, will we be able to see the far side of the Moon?
One misses the soup dragon, not to mention the Bumblies. Bugga ! I just did. :ugh:
http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/bumblies/bumblies.htm

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2006, 23:52
I think actually FSL, that you would approve of Teri (daft that...that spells Ter eee to us dyslexics. ) Anyway, she takes her kid to do all sorts of stuff in boats: rowing or paddling across the Pacific and the like.

One likes square shoulders...it's the rowing that does it...and keeps her thin no doubt.

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2006, 00:05
Tell us more about dysexlics . . . Do you do it alone, in pairs, or is it a group activity? :confused:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2006, 00:22
3D television... hmmm...does that mean we'll be able to look up the weather girls's skirt :E

ORAC
23rd Sep 2006, 05:48
Already got 3D TV. Height, width...and it's on all day....

Loose rivets
23rd Sep 2006, 06:01
Tell us more about dysexlics . . . Do you do it alone, in pairs, or is it a group activity? :confused:

I read that about three times before I noticed:ugh:

MyData
23rd Sep 2006, 07:28
Been there, seen it, and jaw dropped. At the research labs of a major UK plc.

What looks like your standard 42" plasma TV, stand perhaps 10ft away, watch the screen, and if you are in the right place the image 'jumps' out at you.

It isn't 3D as in the R2-D2 projection of Leia (think that is someway off), more the stereoscopic method mentioned earlier. The demo uses computer generated imagery of, for example, an advertisement for a drink, showing it being poured into a glass. To the brain it *is* happening right in front of you with depth perception etc., and not on a screen some 10ft away.

I understand it is based on the principle of those 'dot' images which were popular about 10-15 yrs ago. If you stared at it long enough, and in the right way, the Statue of Liberty or some such icon would appear in front of you. In the TV case all you have to do is stand in the right spot and all the imagery is done for you so there isn't any effort required.

All this is also in hi res full colour.

The final demo is footage taken by a helicopter circling a castle at perhaps 1000ft. This is the only real world footage shown but it is bloody impressive. The castle, moat, river etc. all 'appear' to be really there with depth perception etc. The challenge for film makers is that they have to take a number of shots with many cameras so that the image can be built up, but with digital technology it is easier to get a computer to do the matching and splicing back in the labs.

Limitations is that you can only see what is presented, you can't go and have a walk around the 'image'.

But still jaw dropping all the same. Could be on the streets in the not too distant future - once HD and digital are all rolled out then we will need to upgrade again!

tony draper
23rd Sep 2006, 07:47
One wonders what happened to Virtual Reality,one tried one of those helmets thingies once, twer eerr interesting.
:uhoh:

patdavies
23rd Sep 2006, 08:27
The final demo is footage taken by a helicopter circling a castle at perhaps 1000ft. This is the only real world footage shown but it is bloody impressive. The castle, moat, river etc. all 'appear' to be really there with depth perception etc.

Which just serves to remind me of the bit on one of the Hot Shots movies where the helo in the background flies behind the sun.

goshdarnit
23rd Sep 2006, 10:35
I'm losing the thread on this one - is the 3D TV the bloke called Terry that's dressed like a bird? And who was lysdexic?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2006, 13:16
To the brain it *is* happening right in front of you with depth perception etc., and not on a screen some 10ft away.
does that mean thick people won't be able to see it properly? :(

MyData
23rd Sep 2006, 14:20
Indeed. They will be restricted to 2D TV. :ok:

Blacksheep
24th Sep 2006, 01:14
I understand it is based on the principle of those 'dot' images which were popular about 10-15 yrs ago. That's going to save me a lot of money on 3D TV in future. Diplopia prevents me forming a 3D image with those dot things, so for the same price I'll be able to settle for a simple 2D HDTV that fills up a whole wall. .

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Sep 2006, 02:10
bit of a waste though if you only watch soap operas, as those can be enjoyed on 1D TV

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2006, 03:37
Anyone ELSE seen IMax 3D?

'King 'ell!

Loose rivets
24th Sep 2006, 05:50
Yeah......went with the family to some showing of fish and the like, shortly after having an eye operation. Everyone was reaching out to touch the creaturs and I was left with a flat image. Fekkkkkkinn waste of time that was.:ouch: