PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Must Have Prizes!

chuks
22nd Sep 2006, 09:02
I recently briefly visited the USA, mostly for aviation-related reasons. I did want to join the chanting throngs throwing rotten cabbages at the White House to show their feelings about George W. Bush but I simply ran out of time for that.

Early on a Monday morning, Labor (sic) Day, I pulled up to a simulator center near Dulles Airport. The trip from downtown Washington, DC to Sterling, Virginia had been over multi-lane highways through a region sporting big, modern buildings but almost no signs of human life as we know it, since it was a holiday. There were just these really huge, blocky buildings with logos I didn't recognise.

When I got to the simulator center I had one of those 'What is wrong with this picture?' moments. I first put that down to jet lag and the weird landscape I had just seen but then I realised that there were about eight parking spaces for handicapped people in front of this place!

I am sure there must be some Federal or perhaps State requirement for handicapped access to any business serving the general public but are there really that many handicapped people using flight simulators? Handicapped enough to need special access, that is? Whatever next, Braille signage on the door leading to the simulators? A bed for the seeing-eye dog on the flight deck might work.

Well, we already had some PORG (Person Of Restricted Growth) suing a US airline because of its totally unfair and arbitrary requirement that potential pilots must be tall enough simultaneously to see over the glareshield and reach the flight controls, an obvious plot to keep vagino-Americans from reaching their full potential.

I meant to ask my very PC (Politically Correct) sister, the one working on her doctorate in ancient Mayan hieroglyphics, about this since she has been so good previously at explaining aspects of Modern Life I found totally baffling but I forgot to do that. Is there someone here (411A or Dr Draper, perhaps?) who might explain whether this sort of thing is simply a case of 'The lunatics are running the asylum,' or else part of an ongoing crusade for truth and justice in an unfair world, 'The fight for peace' u.s.w.?

spork
22nd Sep 2006, 09:14
Was it a 100% simulator building, or is there a possibility that lesser mortals might just work there? If so, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for the less fortunate to be catered for.

green granite
22nd Sep 2006, 09:15
I am sure there must be some Federal or perhaps State requirement for handicapped access to any business serving the general public but are there really that many handicapped people using flight simulators? Handicapped enough to need special access,

Maybe not, but what about the people that work there, is there any reason why they could not be disabled?

Rollingthunder
22nd Sep 2006, 09:23
The staff required to maintain and operate the simulator facility outnumber the pilots visiting to use the facilities. That is probably the reason for the handicapped spaces. Having said that I have flown with pilots who have had one leg, or one arm.

BenThere
22nd Sep 2006, 09:33
The best two parking spots in front of my old air force flying squadron were reserved for handicapped. Only ever used if one just had to run in and out and wanted to take the chance the MPs wouldn't tow you away.

The Americans With Disabilities Act mandated a percentage of total parking spots in every lot be allocated to handicapped. They must be the best, closest spots. Common sense wasn't part of the legislation.

If you monitor who gets out of cars parking in the handicapped spots at any Wal-Mart for a few hours, you soon realize what a scam it is.

Grainger
22nd Sep 2006, 09:42
So if Douglas Bader were to pitch up wanting a go in the simulator, where would you want him to park ?

woolyalan
22nd Sep 2006, 09:42
I do believe a thread on disabled/parent child spaces was posted recently, lexxity wasnt it? I can't really be bothered to go searching for it, can leave that to jerricho :p

22nd Sep 2006, 09:50
So if Douglas Bader were to pitch up wanting a go in the simulator, where would you want him to park
As far from me as possible.
He'd be a bit smelly by now, having been dead 24 years:\

chuks
22nd Sep 2006, 12:17
I hadn't thought about the workers. Point taken. Too, I suppose a guy with a limited handicap could be a pilot, but bad enough to qualify as 'handicapped?'

Too, I have just been informed it is now 'differently abled,' rather than 'handicapped.' Remember the mountaineer from Monty Python?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Sep 2006, 13:04
Are you sure they were handicapped parking spaces, or were they just the shell of a real parking space embodying all the features of a parking space without actually being able to be used as a parking space?

:8

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Sep 2006, 13:06
Douglas Bader would probably bring his batman. Now Colin Hodgkinson . .

Lon More
22nd Sep 2006, 13:21
A quick Google bought up over 12 million hits. First was the International Wheelchair Aviators (http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/info.html)

Read a thread somewhere about Bader's batman in Colditz, seemed more of a man (literally and figuratively) than Bader himself