PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Juba trip please

Africaman
21st Sep 2006, 22:32
I need to go from NBO to Juba next week and with the lack of "known" airlines flying the route I need advice on who to avoid and who might be able to get me there safely.
I've considered trying to hitch a lift on a freighter through some friends but worried about the reputation of all the people piling in to Sudan at the moment.

Grateful for your thoughts.

fireitup
22nd Sep 2006, 10:56
Go see Air Kenya down at Wilson...they should be able to help.

bush van
22nd Sep 2006, 14:28
Well into Juba, there is Delta connection a 1900 from wilson think almost every day 5Y BTG, there is African express, DC-9, Callsign "Jetlink" and a couple others,
Just make sure you bring plenty $$, Tusker can get expensive after a couple evenings

Blind Bob
25th Sep 2006, 10:15
East African Express most mornings from JK to Juba about $700 return, entry visa is required before flight.

TiredOfThisShit
25th Sep 2006, 17:54
Stay out of Juba my main man. It's one fine example of a true african hole. God bless this fantastic continent. Go fly in SA or Europe. The company sending you to Juba will shaft you in the bottom anyway. Good luck old boy!

Kernel
26th Sep 2006, 07:17
Stay out of Juba my main man. It's one fine example of a true african hole. God bless this fantastic continent. Go fly in SA or Europe. The company sending you to Juba will shaft you in the bottom anyway. Good luck old boy!

China, I think most new contract pilots just starting out don't really have much choice over their new jobs or postings. The only way you'll get a starting job in SA these days with 250 hours TT is if you're an SAA cadet, and not all of us are so fortunate enough to have an EU passport floating around to "just fly in Europe..."

I've done my fair share of contract flying (Juba included) and in my opinion its probably one of the nicer parts of the Sudan.

Good luck Africaman, enjoy the experience whilst you can!

fireitup
27th Sep 2006, 13:59
Kernel me old mate...how the hell are ya.

Right you are about Juba, getting to be one of the better places to be in this country. Loads of camps going up and price of beer coming down.

Sudan was a fantastic country to be based, for me at least, as I made some good mates and flying was always fairly exciting. Contract jobs often get a bad rap and through my experience, the moaners were always the lads who never hung around long and never got on with the crew.

my 2c

Fire:ok:

Kernel : Me and the Irishman back in Jhb the 14th..will give u a shout

Africaman
27th Sep 2006, 19:07
Thanks for most of your advice, I am now safe in Juba having flown on the East Africa / Jetlink DC9.
Not much rumour for error at this airport especially on a wet runway.

Tuskers are out of stock but Castles are cold and on special offer. Camp has Wifi so I can access Pprune.

In response to "Silly little boy".........Oh I wish I was a little boy again. As it is I'm not a flyboy just staring out, I am trying to use my training and experience to try and make airports safer and more secure for you guys to fly in and out of.

After the civil war these guys have been through, they need help the airport needs work but that keeps me employed and all of the pilots who fly for the UN.

If there were no ****hole airports some people would have nothing to bitch about and you would all do autolands and never "fly" the aircraft.

Most of the stories I hear from pilots is that they love flying in Africa because it does test you and make you think.

Thats me finished, off for another Castle!

bush van
29th Sep 2006, 19:32
Hey Africanman
Where you staying in juba, Affex or Mango Camp

coburg
2nd Oct 2006, 02:57
hey guys....

i am an Indian studyin Aerospace Engineering in melbourne Australia...have done a bit of flying and got to write the theory papers to get my ppl (cessna 152A). my father lives in juba, working for a company called Interfreight, does transporting of goods. anyway, i was planning to visit juba on the 27th nov...and was wonderin which would be the cheapest airline to fly frm khartoum to juba and back. pls advice. given the fact juba does not have too many indians around...the probability for one of u guys to kno my dad is quite high. his name is Mr.Ravi....ur advice on the airline woudl be much appriciated....

thanx...

Africaman
2nd Oct 2006, 15:10
Stayed at RA International's camp for a couple of nights......back down mid October or early November

Jetstream_lover
2nd Oct 2006, 23:59
I agree with Bushvan man, I think he is indeed very smart. You do need lots of Dinar for Tusker/Pilsner/Bells in Juba.

Juba is made alot better when the Bushvan boy is about doing it Puff daddy Style!!!

Africaman
3rd Oct 2006, 00:42
Coburg.........do not worry about being a lonely Indian, the Indian army had a gang where I stayed . The aircraft I saw that came down from KRTto JUB I would not have got on......spoke to some who did and they were not happy........it was one tired TU134 that did not get any recommendations, all the others I saw were freighters.

bush van
3rd Oct 2006, 09:05
Jetstream lover.....when puff bitch is involved it gets very interesting!!!!!

Jetstream_lover
4th Oct 2006, 08:13
BushVan

You are the 'Master' Puff! Peace out Bro. If 2Pac could see you now he would be proud mate!

Where are you now Bushy?

JL

Alyv
4th Oct 2006, 10:40
There are 3 airlines serving this route at the moment: Marsland Aviation (with the TUs), Sudan Air with a tired 737 and Air West, also a 737 usually. Tried them all - I wouldn't recommend any of them particularly but there aren't many other options (barge...or UNMIS plane, but difficult to get on this). Cost is about 45,000SD one way. Recommended to buy one way so that you don't get stuck with your chosen carrier coming back if they cancel, have problems, go out of business etc. Flights down from Khartoum are quite full, so you need to book quite far ahead or else push your way on at Khartoum airport. Return from Juba is usually more open.

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Oct 2006, 12:01
...Or route via Nairobi with East African.;)

coburg
6th Oct 2006, 07:44
yup....thanx guys for the advice...duly noted wit regard to the ticket details....one other thing...frankly..how safe is the place?

spikefm
7th Oct 2006, 06:02
Hey JL, (fruitcake) he he

Timmy and Bobby is back, have you spoken to Liz??? MMMMM?

Juba Juba!

Jetstream_lover
7th Oct 2006, 09:48
Dis ist da German Coastgaurd....

My china, go and give Timmy and Bobby a Cool Drink from me. Tell Timmy I have not spotted many Snake Bats here but will keep looking!

Wish I was there in a way bro, A Ding Dong on by the White Nile with those 2 Carzy Mo Fo's In Da house! With Bushvan reciting some 50 Cent for us.

Juba, Good times.

Keep well Joyce

arcwi
11th Oct 2006, 13:55
Can anyone advise if there is Avgas and if one can use Juba as airport of entry, enroute to Khartoum from the Uganda?