PDA

View Full Version : Converting PPL from Australian to UK JAA

JamesTigris
21st Sep 2006, 21:48
Maybe this is the best place to ask this question maybe not.

Anyone have any experience of converting an Australian PPL to a JAA PPL in the UK? Clearly there is a requirement of doing the UK groundschool and skills tests (which will require a certain amount of retraining). But how well does the Australian instruction prepare you for the UK skills test? I mean we're not talking really complex concepts like an IR, I would anticipate that the training is fairly universal to all national requirements?

Are there any special dispensations considering Australia is a commonwealth nation? I've not managed to find any schools out there offering training for a JAA licence unlike the relative abundance in the US.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Andy_RR
22nd Sep 2006, 03:59
FWIW, I did my GFPT at RACWA (~45TT) and then went on to turn it into a JAR-PPL(A) in the UK taking me to about 70TT at my skills test.

According to LASORS, one should contact the CAA to get advice on how much ICAO-relevant training can be carried across, however after several attempts, I gave up trying and simply made sure there was enough of everything before submitting my application.

I did my qualifying cross country, plus all of my solo cross country requirements in the UK, plus all the theory exams, RT exam etc there. I'm guessing that with a quick swot, the theory wouldn't be too hard if you have already done the PPL in Oz.

If you can meet the hours (45), instrument time (not specified, but I think it's about 2-3) and solo (10 total), solo nav/xc (min 5) time, then with a QXC and a skills test, it'd be worth submitting your application.

On the other hand, if you can meet this:

The holder of a current and valid PPL(A)* issued
by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA
Member State), who has flown a minimum of 100
hours as pilot of aeroplanes, is credited the
JAR-FCL PPL(A) flying training/experience
requirements, except the PPL(A) Skill Test.

then do the theory, R/T, skills test and submit!

Find a school and instructor and have a talk. There are some things that need to be signed-off/endorsed by your instructor/someone important (instrument, stall-spin awareness) I think, but they'll guide you through.

As far as the skills test is concern, I reckon if you can do the Oz one, you could do the UK test. I haven't done the Oz one obviously, but having talked to a mate who went on from his GFPT to PPL, it seems like the Oz test/training is more rigorous (I have never filed a flight plan or done the SARTIME/WATCH thingy f'rinstance!), but I think flying in the UK (and in the skills test) encourages and tends to rely more on sound individual decision making rather than procedure following. I reserve the right to change my opinion on this when I finish my Oz PPL eventually! :)

Weather aside, I think flying in the UK is more varied due the prevalence of airfields, challenging due traffic and airspace and interesting (international is a real possibility).

Whatever, find a good school (ask in Private Flying) and go for it! It's not too hard, wont take you too long and it's great fun! Just get stuck in to it!

A