PDA

View Full Version : Seafire

High_lander
21st Sep 2006, 18:47
The Seafire SX336 did a small display over Yeovilton today, and over the AgustaWestland site in Yeovil, anyone else see it?

It sounded fantastic, no matter how many times you here it.

Fantastic job seeing what it was:D :D
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=565410&postcount=134

SX336 first flew 3rd May 1946, and took to the air 3rd May 2006 (stays at North Weald)- built at Westlands, its attending the RN Historic Flight fund raising day on Saturday- 23rd September.

Not a tin-rattling thread, just wondered if anyone else saw it.

(Sorry about the photo, I wasn't aware of the copyright)

Two_Squirrels
22nd Sep 2006, 08:30
I was at a meeting at yeovil when it came zooming by. Fab sound. Stopped the meeting for 5 minutes or so!

Mark22
24th Sep 2006, 13:43
High_lander,

Could I point out that you have posted an uncredited and copyright photograph of SX336.

The photographer, who cannot access Prune, has asked for it to be removed.

He advises that his watermark has been trimmed/'photoshopped' off.

PeterA (former owner of SX336)

Footless Halls
24th Sep 2006, 15:36
What a shame, because it is a magnificent photograph. Is there a site with a legit copy anywhere, and more of his photos of this beautiful ship?

Mark22
25th Sep 2006, 14:32
What a shame, because it is a magnificent photograph. Is there a site with a legit copy anywhere, and more of his photos of this beautiful ship?

It was a magnificent shot which is why it needed to be protected.

It is still visible, by default, on post 10 of this thread below although the photographer has now withdrawn it from PhotoBucket.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58278&highlight=SX336

Here a shot from me taken at DX a couple of weeks ago.

PeterA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Img_7574a.jpg

fradu
28th Sep 2006, 23:12
Apparently it stopped the work in the Westland factory as workers went outside to watch. She was flown by John Beattie.
Piccie of her below, alongside some friends at the RNHF Charity Flying Day...
http://www.russfam.f2s.com/2006/fnht/fnht2006n.jpg

http://www.russfam.f2s.com/2006/fnht/fnht2006y.jpg

treadigraph
29th Sep 2006, 08:12
It's great to have seen her around and about this summer.

Mark22, Apart from the two 17s (and the 47 now flying in the USA), I seem to remember seeing serials for another pair of Seafires recovered in the early 70s, 46s I think they were? Can't remember if you were involved but do you know what their status is and whether they might fly again one day?

JW411
29th Sep 2006, 09:12
Then there is Seafire LIII G-BWEM ex-Irish Air Corps 157 and ex-RX168 which I read somewhere is nearing the end of a lengthy rebuild in the Swindon area.

treadigraph
29th Sep 2006, 12:48
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that one - another one to watch out for and enjoy soon hoepfully! There's also PP972/G-BUAR about somewhere... :ok:

The two I am thinking of are definitely F.46s: LA546 and LA564.

Chiz

Treadders

JW411
29th Sep 2006, 15:29
At the age of 14 I recorded seeing 73 Seafires at the RNAY at Stretton. Most of them were headed for the scrapman. Can you imagine what they would be worth now?

Mark22
29th Sep 2006, 16:04
At the age of 14 I recorded seeing 73 Seafires at the RNAY at Stretton. Most of them were headed for the scrapman. Can you imagine what they would be worth now?
JW411.
Give or take about £73m.
Did you or your chums take in photos?
............................................................ ..................................
Treadders.
Over a period I owned or co-owned SX300, SX336, LA546 & LA564. Of the latter two LA546 is in Colchester, as a starter kit, and LA564 in private ownership covered by a confidentiality agreement.
PeterA

JW411
29th Sep 2006, 16:31
Sadly my mate and I could not get close enough to take photographs and they would only have been of the Browny Box variety anyway.

I did not record SX300 or SX336 (although SX299 was there) but that does not mean to say that they were not present. There were just so many of them.

Mind you, if they had all survived they would probably be changing hands for less than the price of a decent Cherokee.

treadigraph
29th Sep 2006, 21:58
:ok: Thanks chaps...

Give or take about £73m

Probably not with that many airframes... Thanks to Mark 22 we have another potential 3 Griffon fliers. Best o'luck...

Mark22
1st Oct 2006, 22:21
Then there is Seafire LIII G-BWEM ex-Irish Air Corps 157 and ex-RX168 which I read somewhere is nearing the end of a lengthy rebuild in the Swindon area.
I think you have been slightly mis-informed.

This project has now been reduced to produce as a source of parts for one, possibly two, other restorations in process.

PeterA

JW411
2nd Oct 2006, 09:10
The source was November FlyPast magazine Page 67 in an article about Irish Air Corps survivors.

Mark22
2nd Oct 2006, 16:18
The source was November FlyPast magazine Page 67 in an article about Irish Air Corps survivors.
Then I must be wrong if it was in Flypast :rolleyes:

Sold for its parts content and currently sitting in a workshop not a million miles from Cambridge.

PeterA

treadigraph
2nd Oct 2006, 16:24
Then I must be wrong if it was in Flypast :}

Seems a bit of a shame - was it a "dataplate" restoration or did it contain substantial remains?

I think PP972 was quite a complete airframe - I seem to recall seeing it in Doug Arnold's hangar at Biggin Hill once (and think he took a pound off me for a look round!)

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Oct 2006, 17:50
Well he didn't take a pound off me Treadders! But I knew DA pretty well and got on with him so I was welcome in the office and the hangar.

You are right though, he did have a Seafire in there in a good state of completeness. As well as 12 crates of brand spanking new Merlin's ex India I seem to recall! He had a Catalina, a Lancaster which was coming along nicely, a newly painted Wildcat and God know's what else.

It was a great pity that his son's did not have the stomach for advancing the collection - which also included a couple of Conquerer tanks!

What a man.

JW411
2nd Oct 2006, 18:09
Mark 22: In no way did I ever suggest in the slightest way that you were wrong. I merely mentioned where I had read the information.

Quite frankly, I don't really care who is right but since it is obviously very important to you can I just ask you to refrain from shooting the messenger!

treadigraph
2nd Oct 2006, 18:42
and God know's what else.

As I recall at the time at least one Spitfire XVIII, IX several XVIs, two Corsairs (and a third was there but I couldn't see it! Must have been hidden behind the Merlin crates), the P-63 which later crashed at Biggin, P-38, P-51D (stops to draw breath), and, er, God knows what else!

By the way PPPop - drink! I'm currently wrapped up in a major project at work, but will have finished by end of October must - pop over to see you for that drink (you should have recoered from GatBash by then!)

Chiz

Treadders

Mark22
2nd Oct 2006, 20:23
Mark 22: In no way did I ever suggest in the slightest way that you were wrong. I merely mentioned where I had read the information.
Quite frankly, I don't really care who is right but since it is obviously very important to you can I just ask you to refrain from shooting the messenger!
JW411
Apologies, that was not a pop at you.
My scorn was directed at the standard and accuracy of said journal in these matters, which has taken a significant tumble over recent times.
PeterA

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Oct 2006, 21:39
Yep! Just about Treadders!

PPP

FLT
12th Oct 2006, 08:50
Is someone has informations about seafire PP972. Excuse for my english, I'm French. For history, I'm the son of The man who sold Seafire PP972 to Doug Arnold. Thancks everybody

Mark22
12th Oct 2006, 17:13
Is someone has informations about seafire PP972. Excuse for my english, I'm French. For history, I'm the son of The man who sold Seafire PP972 to Doug Arnold. Thancks everybody
Good day.
Ah Jean Frelaut!
I rendezvoused with your father to see the Seafire whilst sailing the French canal system in July 1980.
PP972 has had a long and arduous restoration to flight and is not there yet. Rectification of problematic work has taken some time but it is getting closer.
Sometimes it is quicker and cheaper to pay the right price at the beginning.:)
PeterA

Moondance
12th Oct 2006, 20:34

Some 13 year old pics taken at EMA

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/PP972-1.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/PP972-2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/Moondance1/PP972-3.jpg

Mark22
13th Oct 2006, 13:20
Here is a shot of PP972 that I took at Earls Colne on 6 August 1999.
There have even been shots posted on the web of the engine briefly running.
...but it is reported that it all had to come apart again to rectify mis-alignment problems.:ouch:
PeterA
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%203/3-PP972001.jpg

RileyDove
14th Oct 2006, 17:32
The Seafire (PP972) is one of the saddest projects I have seen. She dearly deserved to be sympathetically restored -however she was rebuilt which through various hands has made her very dilute in terms of original parts.
Her wings are a combination of a couple of sets which Doug Arnold sent up to Trent Aero. Last seen a couple of years ago dismantled with new longerons in the offing.

FLT
16th Oct 2006, 09:25
Here is a shot of PP972 that I took at Earls Colne on 6 August 1999.
There have even been shots posted on the web of the engine briefly running.
...but it is reported that it all had to come apart again to rectify mis-alignment problems.:ouch:
PeterA

:ok: Thanck you for this informations. If you had others news would you like to tell me more, I'm very interested in this plane.:D

Mark22
16th Oct 2006, 21:22
:ok: Thanck you for this informations. If you had others news would you like to tell me more, I'm very interested in this plane.:D
Hello FLT,
In June 1972 Neville Franklin and I gifted your father a four blade propeller assembly, a cockpit canopy and a top engine cowling for his Seafire PP972.
Here is I believe your uncle, on the right, collecting said parts in his Citroen for delivery to France.
Current value of a hub assembly in that condition today would be £40-50k.:)
PeterA (Not related to DougA)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%203/3-PP972-89-001.jpg

FLT
22nd Oct 2006, 12:47
Some 13 year old pics taken at EMA

Thancks for this pictures, it has changed a lot since it started from France.

FLT
22nd Oct 2006, 13:14
Hello FLT,
In June 1972 Neville Franklin and I gifted your father a four blade propeller assembly, a cockpit canopy and a top engine cowling for his Seafire PP972.
Here is I believe your uncle, on the right, collecting said parts in his Citroen for delivery to France.
Current value of a hub assembly in that condition today would be £40-50k.:)
PeterA (Not related to DougA)

:) Yes, It's my uncle on the right. Excuse me for the confusion between you and DougA.I found some of your letters to my daddy and now I understand. I'm very glad to meet you by this forum. My hope is like my father's, seeing PP972 flying.:ok: