PDA

View Full Version : NZ: ATPL Flight Test

petitfromage
21st Sep 2006, 17:19
Help/Info Required:

Returning to NZ and need to do an ATPL (A) Flight Test.
I have all the NZ subjects and 8000+hours (Heavy Jet blah blah).

Does anyone know where we can do the Flight Test privately?

Not looking for any ad hoc work in NZ at all.....just need to do the check!

Thanks in advance. (PM me if you're worried about "advertising" on Pprune)

PF

Cloud Cutter
21st Sep 2006, 20:50
G'day mate.

I'm not worried about 'advertising' on PPRuNe, and someone else may find this useful. Doing an ATPL flight test privately is not all that common, and as you will know it has to be done in an aircraft of reasonable complexity and performance.

Air Wanganui is probably your best bet. They've done this sort of thing before using their Piper Mojave.

Do you already have an ICAO ATPL? I'm sure you've exhausted all avenues, but it could actually be easier (and would certainly be cheaper) to do an Aussie ATPL and convert (no flight test, just convert your license, and do the papers).

Perhaps other people have got more options........

Good luck with it all :ok:

Gravox
21st Sep 2006, 21:20
Check your PMs

scroogee
21st Sep 2006, 23:19
I know of at least one person who used an AirNZ sim- 767 from memory. Was about 4 years ago though but worth checking.

whobie
25th Oct 2006, 01:10
Me too, have done the subjects, looks like I may now need to do the flight test.

Either that or go to Aussie and redo the subjects

turbolager
26th Oct 2006, 09:46
Be aware that doing your ATPL flight test in the old mojave will cost you well over $10,000 ! as the flight examiner will require you to have over 10 hours on type, which is fair enough I guess but it goes for a thousand dollars an hour, which would seem a bit excessive for an old chieftain! You'd be better trying to find someone who can do you a sim ride in something you're typed on. Either that or convert your ICAO ATPL to an Australian one, then use the TTMRA agreement to bring it over to an NZ licence.

Gravox
26th Oct 2006, 22:15
the TTMRA only allows conversion of licenses. You cannot exchange your subjects in the hope of then getting the australian license. Any flight test in NZ will cos you mega bucks. best idea is to go and do the ATPL course in Mooloolaba. It is a full time course and by all accounts is top notch. It will save you a small fortune, and at the same time having a holiday.

There was some talk in Aussie recently about having to do flight tests for the issue of ATPL licences, you might want to check up on this before going over.

troppo
27th Oct 2006, 03:39
Gravox,
Does that mean that the Aussie licence will then be as good as the NZ/UK/JAA licence rather than the wheatbix packet variety?
:E :E :E :E :} :} :} :}

Swamp Donkey
27th Oct 2006, 21:04
I've heard of a Kiwi expat coming back from HKG to hire the ANZ B777 SIM and instructor to complete their ATPL.

If the test is done properly to the required standard you should really complete it in an aircraft that you are "properly" current on.

I was fortunate to have completed it as part of my employers training/checking cycle.

My advise to people considering heading overseas is to get the Kiwi ATPL before they leave. If I was doing it all again with regard to the ATPL theory I would take the Aussie/TTRMA option - the sunshine coast operation looks like a good setup, the exams more realistic than the ancient NZ slyabus and also a great opporunity to blaze it up in a "foreign" land.

The only possible draw back about the "back door" option is that some prospective employers may ask/judge as to where & how you achieved the ATPL.

Swamped

turbolager
27th Oct 2006, 23:28
gravox, i was assuming the guy has an ATPL already, in which case he can get an australian ATPL fairly easily, certainly a lot easier than an NZ one, and convert that via the TTMRA. As you say, if he's still on a CPL, go and do all the Australian exams at AFT.

I have a full set of AFT notes + law books going cheap as it happens, PM me :-)

whobie
30th Oct 2006, 22:03
Thanks for the info guys.

I have NZ CPL and instrument rating (multi engine) and have completed all the NZ ATPL subjects but have not done a flight test. I also don't have curently have a type rating on anything suitable for a ATPL flight test. I was planning on the flight test being taken care of by a potential future employer....

However now that thats not happening( :mad:), I'm thinking about looking for work overseas and therefore need an ATPL. Looks like its either cough up for the flight test or cough up to go to Aussie and resit all the exams.

lilflyboy262...2
7th Apr 2014, 22:44
Sorry for the resurrection of this post, but looking at current info of who I can do a ATPL flight test with.
Won't have time to write my Aussie ATPL with current work commitments.
No jet or large turboprop time. Just king air 100.
Any help would be appreciated.

luckyluke
7th Apr 2014, 23:00
I'm in the same boat as you lilflyboy. Currently I'm looking at starting the process to get a b200 recognised for the flight test which seems to just be a paperwork exercise with the Feds. I've noted that flight test and training nz don't seem to have testing officers for the issue of ATPLs. Air Wanganui may be of some help from their experience using the Mojave?
For some reason it seems like a fair bit of an effort just to organise a flight test outside of the airlines

DeltaT
8th Apr 2014, 08:04
looking at starting the process to get a b200 recognised for the flight test which seems to just be a paperwork exercise with the Feds.

Have you got a quote from CAA with their hourly rate and how long it will take?
That in itself could well be $1000s

lilflyboy262...2
8th Apr 2014, 11:16
I've heard that Air2there can possibly do it with their 200? Waiting to hear back from them about this.
I've emailed CAA and the only response is with all the airline operators and all above 5,700kg aircraft.
No mention of the Mojave or any Kingair types other than a 350 with Hawker Pacific.

DeltaT
8th Apr 2014, 13:21
If I read the aircraft registry correctly the only B200 is ZK-LRJ at 5710kgs.
Aeromotive Leasing Limited, Hamilton. Which could be leased onwards of course.
The last I heard about the B350 ZK-MMM was that it was de-registered to leave the country for good.

Sqwark2000
8th Apr 2014, 20:37
NZ CAA recognised Air Wanganui's Mojave as a ATPL machine because of its complex systems i.e csu props, retractable gear and pressurisation.

I would assume any Kingair variant C90, 100/200/350 would meet the same criteria. The Beech Duke B60? has also been used in the past.

AIRNZ has a Beech 1900D sim in Auckland. Might pay to check with them as a similar type to the Kingair.

S2K

Lindstrim
8th Apr 2014, 20:47
Theres also MYM which is a b200.

I think Helipro brought it into the country and airtothere operate it?

NoseGear
9th Apr 2014, 00:15
Having been thru this process about 10 years ago, it seems it hasn't changed much in the lack of availability of an appropriate aircraft. The requirements from CAA are 3 fold, it is EITHER over 5700kgs, pressurized or turbine. Note either, not all 3, so this is why the Mojave can be used as it's pressurized. Someone mentioned that you need 10 hours on type, this is correct, and you also need a current NZ Instrument rating, so if yours isn't, then you need to do a currency ride, which is going to cost. Add on top a 1-2 hour type rating as well to that mix. It was possible to do "dead" sectors in the Mojave to reduce the cost, however, as I found, this was a very frustrating exercise as you basically need to sit around waiting for it to be used, mainly to WLG, which is about 1/2 an hour so it takes a fair few sectors to get your 10hours up. At the time Air Wanganui had just acquired their Kingair so they were using that mostly as opposed to the Mojave, as you would, so it took me months of back and forth to Wanganui. Unless they now use the Kingair for ATPL flight tests, I would not recommend this path. I'm not sure of other aircraft, I did contact Vincents in WLG, they seemed receptive but again, this information is old.

One more thing...don't expect the examiner from CAA to be available when you are. I believe there was only one examiner in the country, and it was near impossible to get him booked any time under 6 months prior. This was obviously a major hindrance in getting the flight test done. Don't forget also, the examiner is based in Wellington, so you'll need to pay his costs in getting to where ever you are and home again.

All in, if you can't get it done with the airlines, expect an excessively frustrating, long and expensive path to the flight test....and NZCAA were about as useless as Captain Hook at a gynaecology convention....:E:ugh:

DeltaT
9th Apr 2014, 00:33
Flight test prerequisites
A candidate for ATPL (A) issue flight test is required by Civil Aviation Rule to;
(a) Hold appropriate current written examination credit(s), and
(b) Present all relevant knowledge deficiency reports; and
(c) Have a certified logbook record of the requisite flight experience, and
(d) Have proof of their identity, and
(e) Hold a current CPL(A) or SCPL(A) or equivalent, and
(f) Hold an instrument rating, and
(g) Hold a current Class 1 Medical Certificate, and
(h) Hold a type rating for the aircraft used on the flight test.

Aircraft and equipment requirements for flight test
The candidate is required to provide a multi-engine aircraft of a MCTOW of at
least 5700 kilograms (or equivalent as approved by the Director) or approved
flight simulator for the flight test. The aircraft or approved flight simulator must
be equipped for, and its operating limitations must not prohibit, flight under IFR
and all other pilot operations required during the test. Required equipment will
include;
(a) Fully functioning dual flight controls, and
(b) Those instruments essential to the manoeuvres planned to be
demonstrated during the flight visible to both pilots without excessive
parallax error, and
(c) At least three-point lap-and-sash harness, and
(d) Intercommunication equipment of an approved type, and
(e) An acceptable means of simulating instrument flight.
The candidate is required to provide adequate and private facilities for briefing
prior to and after the flight test.

DeltaT
9th Apr 2014, 00:38
ZK-MYM shows as registered at 5670kgs.
Unless it has had a recent mod to increase the MTOW?, or is any B200 on the "or equivalent as approved by the Director" list, like the Mojave is also?

NoseGear
9th Apr 2014, 01:38
Hi Delta, I can't find the section on the CAA website....surprise...but I remember it as one of 3 requirements, 5600kgs, Turbine or pressurized...that's how the Mojave makes it in, as it's only pressurized.

I had an elderly gentleman, he was a gentleman and I won't name names....as my examiner on my flight test and we had been single engine since the start of the VOR approach and missed approach into Palmy, went SE to the NDB at Wanganui, did a hold there and then into the NDB approach in deteriorating weather conditions and strengthening winds. At about 800 feet on final approach into Wanganui, the examiner had clearly forgotten that we were SE and he did the instructor trick of putting a piece of A4 paper between the throttles and the mixtures so I couldn't see which engine he was going to "fail"....it took me a moment to realize what was going on and I shouted out "we're already single engine!!" and grabbed every lever I could and firewalled them! That was an exciting moment.....:E But ever the examiner, as we climbed away, he apologized and then promptly failed an engine again and I had to circle to land SE!;) All in, a pretty thorough test!:ok:

Water Wings
9th Apr 2014, 03:14
I've noted that flight test and training nz don't seem to have testing officers for the issue of ATPLs
The pool of testing officers for ATPL issue is limited. The airlines have them for in-house work (you can rent an airline's sim and then rent the examiner as well) or the CAA. Based on the avenue you're pursuing, it will have to be the CAA.

luckyluke
9th Apr 2014, 04:18
Delta T. Thanks for your concerns but I meet all the above requirements that you listed bar having an approved machine (in which I'm currently looking into a having a 200 approved) and sourcing a CAA examiner

blackteal
9th Apr 2014, 11:31
I know a guy who did his ATPL flight test in the Kingair sim in Melbourne with a CAA guy and got his ticket, it can be done.

lilflyboy262...2
10th Apr 2014, 09:47
Yeah I was also considering flying an examiner over.

There is no 10hr requirement. I checked that with CAA and all they said was a rating on type.

Still waiting on hearing about aircraft that are under 5,700kg such as the Mojave....

NoseGear
10th Apr 2014, 10:21
That's probably an excellent option guys, and much cheaper than the 10hours on type, which is hard to get and not to mention the hotel plus flights or gas getting to Wanganui. The CAA examiner who did my flight test said he could have done my flight test in the CRJ sim in Aussie, if I'd paid for his flights and hotel. However CRJs aren't on the NZ register and this was contrary to what the CAA told me in correspondence, that it had to be a type registered in NZ...:ugh: I still don't know but the flight examiner was adamant and he has been around since the Wright brothers!:E

DeltaT
11th Apr 2014, 08:32
Ok, recall that the old proverb is that CAA stands for Campaign Against Aviation.
And remember from your training long ago:
AC61.10
For a piston multi-engine (non centreline-thrust) aeroplane not exceeding 5700kg MCTOW Initial issue - 5 hours; subsequent types - 1 hour.
This same document has for Helicopters over 5700Kgs 10hrs required.
However has nothing stated for Multi Engine Aeroplanes over 5700kgs in this document, but you can see where I am going, most likely the requirement is for complex aircraft, first type, not done in a simulator...10hrs. -I am still looking.

pineappledaz
11th Apr 2014, 10:27
Air Wanganui have a nice King Air c90 to do the ATPL test in.(ZK-MKG) Brenton Knight is the examiner.

VH-VIN
11th Apr 2014, 18:47
Just to clear up one point, you cannot do an ATPL flight test with an examiner other than one from CAA unless you work for a company that has an approved examiner and ATPL flight testing on their 119 certificate.
As a flight test NZ examiner with ATPL testing approval I cannot do the test.
Not sure why this is but makes to tough for anyone who does not work for an airline.
We have tried to work with CAA on this one but no luck so far.

Then they wonder why everyone goes to Aussie does it over there then changes the licence via the TTMRA!

DeltaT
11th Apr 2014, 22:14
VH-VIN can you clear up the 10hr requirement?
I've stopped looking, can't find anything on it for fixed wing.

Then they wonder why everyone goes to Aussie does it over there then changes the licence via the TTMRA!

I read a science article (http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pure-genius/qa-why-40-of-us-think-were-in-the-top-5/#col=e1f4d432-ca1f-4318-9dcb-3bd27639c197&colnm=Issue+15) recently that had in it, incompetent people cannot recognise their own stupidity and also the intelligence of others.

lilflyboy262...2
12th Apr 2014, 03:10
From the fingers of Bill MacGregor at CAA NZ via email.

I asked him directly "There is a rumour that we must have 10hrs on the aircraft before the flight test. Is this true?"

His response was "There are no specified hours on type but you do require a type rating on the type used for the test"

Still no word on aircraft under 5,700kgs that we can use. A kingair 90 would be great...

DeltaT
12th Apr 2014, 13:23
CTC Hamilton have a Kingair B200 FNPTII Sim, you can but ask if you can hire it.

Re the 10hrs, I think I have found it, it is if you are acting as a crew member for a Company, and have to receive 10hrs Instruction on type.
Part 125.557 d(3). So not applicable.

c100driver
13th Apr 2014, 06:14
If the organisation is a Part 141 then the ten hours may not apply, but if you are completing a type rating for something such as a B737 or A320 the type conversion going to greater than 10 hours anyway.

However if the operation is able to do ATPL issues under its part 119 exposition as a part 125 or 121 operation and do not hold a part 141 then you would have to follow the ten hour requirement, because you would have to become an "employee' temporarily to complete the training as they cannot sell the training to an external.

Part 141 = you can sell training externally.
Part 135/125/121 = you can train your own people only.

So it is likely that Air2There may not have Part 141 for training, I don't know what their approval status is.

nzharvey
15th Dec 2014, 23:05
Has anyone had an luck since April in successfully getting their NZ ATPL?

Is there any scope to change the rule to allow licensed examiners to carry out tests on individuals?

At the moment the only options seems to be:

*Pay for rating with Air Wanganui and use their Mojave with a CAA examiner.
*Pay for rating (if not already rated) on an available King Air (250?) in NZ and carry out flight test with CAA examiner.
*Fly a CAA examiner over to aussie and do in a Sim (already rated or initial typed)

Is this seriously the only options available to individuals in NZ at the moment? :ugh:

Steve Zissou
15th Dec 2014, 23:35
Yep. Does seem strange and severely limiting to those not employed by Air NZ group, Air Chat's, Airwork and a couple of others I guess. Strange rule :ugh:

pineappledaz
16th Dec 2014, 03:39
ZK-MKG (Air Wanganui) has been and still can be used for ATPL flight tests..I know of 2 people, 1 being a current pilot with Air Wanganui who have done their ATPL flight test in the c90

DeltaT
16th Dec 2014, 08:50
*Fly a CAA examiner over to aussie and do in a Sim (already rated or initial typed)

If you are rated on any of the aircraft that Air NZ fly, you can hire the sim from them too.
Does it have to be a full motion sim for the test?

Having an ATPL licence is not the godsend you think it is.
Just because you might not have one you think that obtaining that holy grail will make all the difference to your employability. The reality is similar to a 200hr CPL going for a MEIR, unless you are rated on a popular type and ready for Captaincy it really is not the magic ticket.
I wouldn't bother spending the extra cash.

Semi Rigid
16th Dec 2014, 11:08
Don't bank on NZ CAA recognising the Aus ATPL under the TTMRA either. I have had an Aus ATP since Nov '04 & straight away applied and was issued a NZ ATP licence.
No I have just started arguing with them as they are back-tracking on why i was issued a kiwi ATP in the first place bear in mind I have had this licence for 10 freakin years & have flown for 4 years in New Zealand on it.
Head scratching stuff from the pin heads in Featherstone St.

waren9
16th Dec 2014, 15:45
what do you mean by back tracking? is it being revoked? was it issued in error?

Ollie Onion
16th Dec 2014, 20:27
I did my with Air NZ on their A320 sim about 5 years ago. They were very good, saved me getting rated on anything else. 1 practice sim and then test.

lookxian
17th Dec 2014, 02:17
Try Aviation Institute - Airline Training (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/) I am going to take the ATPL test also. If anyone doing the same. May PM me.

Semi Rigid
17th Dec 2014, 07:31
In their (CAA's) opinion, yes. Was issued in March 2005 with all the required paperwork, evidence, fee's etc. I would have thought if there had been a problem they would have picked it up then.
As I have told them the other day - I am now through 10k+hrs and we are nearly 10 years down the track guys! - are you people saying to me I have been practising my profession illegally for 10 years?
No response to that query yet. :ugh:

Corkey McFuz
18th Dec 2014, 23:59
What is the problem ? Should the many rest of us who have atpls issued under the ttmra be worried ?

DeltaT
19th Dec 2014, 07:38
When I had mine issued under TTMRA and had a little phone conversation with a caa staff member he said they were not very happy issuing them under the agreement and the very reason there is that little "issued under the terms of the TTMRA" written on your licence is so it can be retracted if a reason can be found later on! (no other country does that when you do a conversion)

waren9
19th Dec 2014, 08:28
my australian licence had that written on it

DeltaT
20th Dec 2014, 07:08
Sorry, I stand corrected, I just pulled my Auz one out to take a look and it's there too! Hard to find amongst the multitude of pages!

lookxian
20th Dec 2014, 14:24
Both of your NZ and AUS licenses are issue under TTMRS? DeltaT?

DeltaT
21st Dec 2014, 07:15
correct.
Conversions done both ways.

WelshRoots
20th Jan 2015, 06:41
Does anyone have any figures for the hire of the AirNZ B777 sim?

Cheers

flyboy_nz
29th Nov 2015, 06:00
So, I am in the same boat as some of you guys were before. Could someone please PM/post details in relation to costs to hire the B777 sim with Air NZ to do the ATPL flight test?

Regards

haughtney1
29th Nov 2015, 08:15
Flyboy,

My info is a little dated, but why not try a quick email or phonecall to the aviationinstitute.coooo.ennnzeeed.
Admittedly I did my NZ ATPL from the then JAR one about 4 years ago, but they were very helpful and it was a reasonably priced experience.

Cloud Cutter
29th Nov 2015, 19:09
Yip, says right there on their website they'll do NZ ATPL flight tests, presumably on any of the types they've got a sim for.

Just to clarify (because it's not clear), the Aviation Institute is Air NZ's external crew training wing.

Professional Crew Training (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/ai/school-of-flight/professional-crew-training/)

Best of luck.

lookxian
30th Nov 2015, 08:16
sent you Pm.

So, I am in the same boat as some of you guys were before. Could someone please PM/post details in relation to costs to hire the B777 sim with Air NZ to do the ATPL flight test?

Regards

flyboy_nz
1st Dec 2015, 06:57
Cheers for the replies guys. I already sent aviation institute an email, waiting for their reply. Just thought see what other option there are.

gschank
12th Jul 2019, 16:56
Your comment regarding an ATPL in a Kingair sim is Melbourne is a few years old, but do you have info on that sim and the operator? I have a USA issued ATPL, but need one in NZ/AU. Thanks.

DAD.BEN
5th Sep 2022, 09:42
Hi all,

Since the last discussions had on here several years back. Has there been any new cheaper alternative ways of getting the ATPL flight test done in NZ? I am currently working abroad and would like to head home to get my ATPL flight test done there.
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated 🙏🏽

Thanks

gschank
6th Sep 2022, 02:26
A NZ ATPL is very tough. You have to do it in an airplane with an equivalent weight of 12,500 libs. (I forgot the kilos, but it's around 4,500). There are few simulators in NZ. As there is the "Trans-Tasmanian" agreement between Australia and NZ, I looked into a sim in Australia. Qantas had sims available, which they were happy to rent out for $12,000! Additionally, you would need a NZ check airman to be there. Having found out the price tag for the simulator, I did not bother to find out what that would cost...probably even more. Additionally, after you deal with their CAA, you will come to love our FAA. Since I was to fly for a 135 operator, I just did the CPL instead. That was not a piece of cake either. Sorry that I do not have more encouraging information.

zlin77
6th Sep 2022, 22:21
If using a SIM in Australia and a New Zealand Flight Examiner, make sure the SIM is approved by the NZCAA.