PDA

View Full Version : Australian CPL exams

dimitridj
21st Sep 2006, 15:18
Hello,

Soon I will be studying in Australia to get my cpl.
Does anybody has experience with the theory given in Australia?
Comperable with the FAA cpl exams?

Thank you in advance,

Dimitri

redsnail
22nd Sep 2006, 13:30
No they are not like the FAA exams. They are probably best described as a mix of US and European styles. I did the Australian CPL theory about 15 years ago so it has changed a tad.

The CPL isn't too difficult and it's a nice bridge between PPL and the ATPL. (Obviously :D )

The CPL concentrates on the stuff that a CPL needs to worry about. Met's more detailed, the aircraft more complex (ie a piston twin) and so on. Loading issues as well as the legal aspects.

You'll probably find more up to date info over in Dununda and Godzone.

Aussie
23rd Sep 2006, 00:14
Not like the FAA at all from what im told. You actually have to study for it :eek:

Aussie

Capt. Crocodile
23rd Sep 2006, 12:15
I'm studying for FAA CPL exam now. Having done the 7 Oz CPL subjects I can tell you that you will need to spend a lot lot more time for OZ CPL than FAA. Not much of a comparison with FAA. Remember FAA CPL theory test has 90% pass rate first go. Oz CPL theory will require more study, but put a bit of time into it and you will pass. :ok:

halfmoon
23rd Sep 2006, 22:50
Are you converting your license? it sounds that way since you know a litttle about the FAA exams. If so you don't need to do all the cpl subjects just the air law.
The ozi CPL exams are WAY harder then FAA. It took me 8 months of study and waiting for reattempts to pass the CPL LAW, IREX, and ATPL LAW. I have never failed so many exams in my 10 years of flying.
Make sure you prepare yourself even if it means buying extra practice exam books.