PDA

View Full Version : Civil Ops quals.. do they make the difference?

Ops_Monkey
21st Sep 2006, 11:56
Hi everyone..

I’m new here and intrigued to know if a BTEC National in Airline & Airport Operations would give any sway in a job application. I’m currently in the RAF within ATC & Flight Ops and looking to make the jump back to civilian life. I understand that my background may hold some weight into proving I’m a ‘reliable’ chap who is ‘disciplined’ but are these types of qualification recognised by the outside world.

Thank you :ok:

L-H
22nd Sep 2006, 09:19
OM,

Please expand more on the content of your qual if you can and where you got it so that a fair assesment of the value of said qual will be of any benefit to a future employer. If it's on a par to the rubbish NVQs that TG9 are hawking to peeps then the honest answer will most likely be no. I suspect that your existing skills and knowledge will be of more interest to a prospective employer and you should really capitalise on that. Certainly worked for me:ok: PM me for an off line chat if you want any further guidance.

no sig
22nd Sep 2006, 10:07
Ops Monkey

BTEC courses do have value, and to my mind any work related qualification deomonstrates a committment to learn and will increase your chances of employment in the industry. I know when I was actively recruiting it was the first thing I looked for. Do take a bit of time reading back over the posts on this forum for a more on the subject.

Ops_Monkey
22nd Sep 2006, 12:53

Expat abroad
27th Sep 2006, 22:40
Hi OM

Having been in your situation a mere 10 years back, before the NVQs kicked in I looked into what I could do that would give the best impression to future employers. It all depends to a certain extent what you wish to do once you come work for a living :-)

I decided for myself, that the best qual I could have was something that would be recognised over the biggest area of employers, so did the FAA Dispatchers Licence course as a leaving present from RAF. They paid the course fees, and accom as I stayed on US mil base on one side of the airport in Minneapolis, with the course held in a school the other side.
This all helped me get jobs both in the UK and abroad (currently in land of cheese and chocolate) and I found that the airlines quite like the licence.

Good luck whichever way you go. Let me know if you want more info.

Expat