PDA

View Full Version : Mildura Warbirds

Mr. Boeing
21st Sep 2006, 10:30
Many years ago, there used to be an aviation museum at Mildura. Whatever happened to the aircraft that belonged to it?

bonez
21st Sep 2006, 12:34
Has not been a "real" museum since about the late '80's.

The chap that "ran" it progressively gave away or sold the aircraft that were there including a Meteor, which I think went to NZ. He was there on a peppercorn lease and the Council had had enough and he had now left and gone to NZ (according to the 'gos).

The Meteor was ex RAF and finished its days at WR and was then flown to MQL. The weather got the better of it after a while, so I hope it is with a good owner now!

tinpis
22nd Sep 2006, 06:22
A man of vision was Dunny.
He was collecting that stuff when everyone was thinking it was junk
He was instrumental in recovering a P51 from the Maralinga test site .It was flown to Parafield where the DCA jumped on it and made sure it never flew in OZ again
He had a Mossie in the hangar in Mildewra that he saved from a cockys paddock.The cocky had sawn the wings off and was using it to blow air over his raisins to keep off frost FFS.
Buggered if I know if he ever made a quid out of it or not the arse was always out his pants and he rode a bloody old pommy banger of a motor bike
Eccentric old bugger hope he is enjoying his life wherever he is.

gassed budgie
24th Sep 2006, 03:30
Nothing remains of the now defunct Mildura Warbirds Museum.
I was there in late 1976 and took some photos of the aircraft and equipment that were on display at the time. It had the potential to be perhaps the best display of vintage military aircraft in the southern hemisphere.
But displaying an absolute appalling lack of foresight, the local shire council and the museum curator himself, allowed the collection to be frittered away over the years to the point where what was left could only be described as aeronautical flotsam and junk.
A lot of what was donated to the "museum" by the local populace was done so on the assumption that at some future date it would be restored and displayed in Mildura, making people aware of the history of the airport and of the rich aviation heretige associated with the 2 OTU that was stationed there during WWII.
Unfortunately all of what was donated was sold off for personal financial gain with no consideration given to the individuals or families that had contributed towards the idea of a local aviation museum.
The Mildura city council continues to display the abovementioned lack of foresight in allowing the aerodrome manager, in an act of supreme vandalism, to have the gun butts removed and destroyed earlier this year. It was one of the few remaining visible links left on the aerodrome to its OTU days of the war.
The basic building blocks were in place (with appropriate funding) to establish a superb display/museum, but that was 30 years ago and because of vested interests and total disinterest by local bureaucrats the boat has well and truly been missed. How sad. :{

2OTU
1st Dec 2007, 11:00
I personally had a great deal to do with the museum back then and since it's close I'm still very much involved with the 2OTU museum that now exists in the old head quarters building oh and the "Old Bugger" has gone back to new Zealand !
I do entirely agree with what has been said here and it's such a shame to see what has come of the whole thing to this day .
the comments made regarding the gun butts being removed are not quite justified as at the time before their removal myself and alot of other people felt very much the view remarked here , but those structures were made of sandstone and were becoming very unstable , so inorder to keep things safe had to be demolished.
I do have a very heavy heart though when I think what has become of the old Airbase as far as what has been preserved and all the remains now is the old head quarters building ,1 bellman hanger, and some very dry remains of the old parade grounds! What frustates me more so is no one seems to give a damn !!
Anyone when next in Mildura make a point to come and visit the museum and please dig deep and make a donation !!:O:ok:

HarleyD
3rd Dec 2007, 04:27
GB - I think it a little unfair to accuse Dunny of selling all the donated gear off for personal financial gain. PD slogged away for years to make a go of it, whilst living in a caravan on site. Many people derived education and enjoyment from the display such as it was but with the usual lack of perspicacity the council allowed the whole thing to slowly wither and die. PD put a huge amount of time and his own money into the museum and I personally don’t begrudge his selling off any of the Hudson bits that I had sourced and donated to the cause. All this stuff ended up somewhere that it needs it. If he had been in it for money he would be a (very wealthy) man, but that is not how it all panned out. Last I heard he had a storch and an ultralight.
Dunny was with CSIRO with the Hi-ball upper air sampling project, I think, and stuck on with the museum after that project finished up in the mid 60’s. Those balloons were amazing to watch being launched! I spent some time out there as a teenager helping when I could, and actually saw the Meatbox arrive from woomera (with much beating up and having fun). I recall 3 sabres, 4 or so wirraways, 2 and a half mustangs, half a kittyhawk, one and a half beauforts, a couple of Canberras(glow in the dark), 2 or so vampires, a proctor, a huson, a kingfisher fuselage, a mossie, most of a spitfire (in various parts from mk V and VIII), german jet engines, merlins, allisons, avons, liberator fin and turrets, two doves, a dak, some anson stuff and heaps of other fascinating bits and pieces. Probably left out more than I have recalled, it was the bones of an excellent museum.
Dunny usually travelled by motorcycle, but I do remember an ill fated foray of his into the stretch caddy business after one of his trips to the US. Good on ya, where ever in the world you are at the moment, at least you gave it a red hot go.
Best of luck to JL Jr and all those others who are keeping the aviation history of the region alive against overwhelming apathy from the general community, well done.
HD

DanS333
14th Jun 2013, 04:53
Hi Guys,
Does any one know what happened to the DH.104 Devon/Dove that was there. i know the dove VH-CTS was sold to Ted Rudge and used in the rebuild of VH-DHI but there was still a devon there. i have a photo but cant seen to get it to post.any info on it history or current location would be great.

thunderbird five
14th Jun 2013, 09:40
"Darkie" was well and in fine form when I met up with him in NZ 2 years ago. Living near Levin, somewhere that way.:ok:

CHAIRMAN
14th Jun 2013, 13:46
DHI wasn't the one rebuilt, must have been another Dove;)

AusyAlan
24th Oct 2013, 07:04
I believe his name was Pierce and I went hunting with him for P51 parts in NSW in 1967. He had a P51 at Keilor in Melbourne at that time. He seemed to live for aircraft and restoration as confirmed in these earlier posts. I also visited him in Mildura when he was working at the Museum. I hope he is well and enjoying life.

DanS333
28th Oct 2013, 03:33
Hi Chairman,
I can assure you it was DHI after it had a runway overrun in Launceston. the nose was extensively damaged as a result the nose off CTS was used to repair DHI. see link to photo
VH-DHI (http://dh104preservation.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=183085649)

Cheers, Dan

Mitch65
20th May 2014, 01:45
Hi All,
I stumbled onto the Mildura Warbirds museum about 30 years ago when I was 18. I cant for the life of me remember why I didnt take any pics while I was there and I can really only remember the DC-3, ME-262 and the tail from a Zero. Im sure there was much more there so if anyone can fill me in on what other planes were there or even better have photos Id be extremely grateful.

Cheers
Mitch

gassed budgie
22nd May 2014, 04:29
Mitch, PM sent. GB.

Rate1
23rd May 2014, 12:39
Lived in Mildura during the eighties when an active aviation community flourished. Pierce Dunn running the museum, also pumping fuel and an active member of the Sunraysia Sports Aircraft Association. Laurie Smith was president and along with Ken Cobden (and many helpers) organised the world famous Lake Culluleraine air show. Jack Funnel ran the best flying school in the world and the Mildura aero club was as active as ever. Such great memories and so few photo's. My good mate Rod spent many weekends helping Pierce restore his many treasures. Great times.

HH46
24th Jun 2017, 04:36
"Darkie" was well and in fine form when I met up with him in NZ 2 years ago. Living near Levin, somewhere that way.:ok:

Hi there. I might know you. I am a friend pierce dunn hedley harding is my name

thunderbird five
25th Jun 2017, 04:28
No sorry Hedley.
I was just in his vicinity years ago, good mate of my wife's father.