PDA

View Full Version : Macbook arrived at last

TightSlot
21st Sep 2006, 08:13
Using my new macbook now - we live in exciting times...

While re-training my fingers from the PC, a couple of questions.

Where is the "Delete" key - or isn't there one?
When I receive and image embedded in an HTML email, how do I right click and save the image?
Is there a way to "maximise" (i.e. force a program to run full screen)?
Is there a full list of key combinations for the mac? - I believe that these are the key to best use.
The wifi and internet connection were found immediately, but I can't work out how to access the other PC's in the workgroup?

I have tried a search in here, but can't see anything specifically relating to these - as always any advice would be appreciated.

ChocksAwayUK
21st Sep 2006, 08:27
1: I think to "forward delete" you can press Fn and Backward Delete. (sorry, at work on nasty old Dell so can't test this.)
2: Ctrl-Click fulfills rightclicking needs.
3: Should be a series of 3 coloured dots at the top left of the window.. play with these. Or manual control window size by dragging bottom right corner (won't work when maximised though).
4: Heres a few (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459) but it doesn't include some of my favourites.. press ctrl-apple-d when your pointer is over any word in any application and you'll get a dictionary definition! Also learnt yesterday that in most apps if you type the first few letters of a word then Escape a drop down list of all possible words starting with those letters appears.
5: Should be able to go into Finder then in the box in top left there will be Servers.. click this and other computers on the network should appear.

Big Bad D
21st Sep 2006, 09:28
As another recent Mac convert, I found the following website useful, which includes lots of keyboard shortcuts:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

Binoculars
21st Sep 2006, 12:38
Tightslot, welcome to the bright side! No expert me, but how are the other PC's networked? Wireless or Ethernet? I still have some issues with the PC, mainly getting the printer recognised, but I remember feeling fairly foolish at the beginning when I discovered all my wailing and gnashing of teeth was silenced by going to System Preferences (Apple version of Control Panel) > Network. Everything you need should be there.

P.S. I found a lot of useful help here when I converted: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200733&highlight=converts

MightyGem
21st Sep 2006, 15:26
TS, the maximize(green button) will only expand the window to a size where everything in the window is visible. So, if it doesn't need to fill the whole screen(like a Windose window always does) then it won't.

The "delete" key is the Backspace key.

Many knowledgeable people here. (http://forum.macformat.co.uk/)

Daysleeper
21st Sep 2006, 17:11
I would also suggest David Pouges Mac OsX guide " The Missing Manual" make sure to get the latest edition - Tiger with Intel Chips.

missingmanuals.com (http://www.missingmanuals.com/)

TightSlot
21st Sep 2006, 19:16
Thank you all

I have taken your advice and bought the book mentioned above - it's (at first sight) excellent!!

It also should prevent further questions from me for the time being. Macbook - I always rather fancied it from a distance. Then we spent the night together and now I'm getting more fond of it by the day!

Farrell
13th Nov 2007, 20:41
Just to resurrect this thread.....

I bought an iPhone here in the sandpit about two weeks ago. It's been unlocked and runs on my local SIM card.

I was so impressed by the things that it does that I went out and bought a MacBook.......I will never touch a PC again. These things are fantastic!

Danny
14th Nov 2007, 00:22
Farrell, don't upgrade the iPhone software to 1.1.2 yet. Depending on which software you used to activate and unlock the phone, you shouldn't really upgrade to iTunes 7.5 yet either.

I've had an iPhone for about a month now running over in the UK with no problems. Best phone ever and on some trips I won't even take my MacBook any more.

My last phone, Nokia E61 did the WiFi browsing for me but the iPhone and Safari just blow all other phone browsers and internet access away.

AlphaMale
14th Nov 2007, 10:33
"Ounce you go mac their is no going back" :}

I've had my Mac for 2 years and love it, used one through University for graphics/music editing/web design and decided to get one myself. I've not had any trouble at all :)

Also managed to convert my father to Mac from PC and got my 68 year old uncle in to the world of IT by getting him on a mac too (It's that easy to use). He can't see how he survived without it now :ok:

Need to get an iPhone in the new year (if funds allow)

Enjoy.

seekayess
14th Nov 2007, 15:23
At the expense of possibly sounding very naive, can one 'unlock' the iPhone by oneself or do you need to get someone to do it (and pay for the services!!)?

I have been a Mac user now since 1989 and am presently using an iBook G4, waiting to soon upgrade myself to the Leopard/ 17" laptop! :ok::ok:

Farrell
16th Nov 2007, 13:03
Danny
Thanks for the heads up on the iTunes 7.5 - have turned off the auto updates.
Agree that iPhone is hands down the best phone I have ever used.
Still getting my head around the finer points of the MacBook but am officially converted!
My Leopard upgrade is getting done next week so am interested in seeing how Boot Camp works out. Not that I'm too bothered about never seeing a windows screen again!

Seekayes....
You can unlock it yourself but that would mean having to get a contract with o2 or AT&T first.
Over here in the ME, you will find then for sale already unlocked for about 250 OMR.
I have not had a day's trouble with mine and it works seamlessly with iTunes on the Mac. And it also syncs with iCal, Safari and iPhoto etc

Danny
16th Nov 2007, 14:48
You don't need to get a contract with AT&T or o2. You just need the phone.
I purchased quite a few with v1.1.1 software and all I needed was iNdependence (http://code.google.com/p/independence/) and anySim (http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/anysim11.html).
Just google for them. The iNdependence software has all the instructions. You have to download the 1.0.4 software from the Apple website and rename the file. After that, iNdependence downgrades the phone to 1.0.4 and then you can jailbreak it. You then upgrade to 1.1.1 with iNdependence and finally you upload anySim to the phone and run it and then you have an activated iPhone that works with any sim from any network.

Takes about 30 minutes and involves restarting the iPhone several times.
v1.1.2 isn't that crackable just yet but it is not necessary as the only differences are some international keyboard layouts.

Once unlocked with iNdeoendence you can add many different apps and can customise the phone to your hearts content. Just use google and a bit of common sense.

scruggs
16th Dec 2007, 16:43
Hi guys,

I'm also interested in the iPhone, but I'm already reading that a successor to the iPhone is on the cards for early to mid next year. Do any of you die hard Apple fans have any advice on whether I should wait for the iPhone 2 or just go ahead and get the iPhone that's currently on offer? I'm not sure what advantages the iPhone 2 will have, I'm hearing it will be 3G and Word documents etc will be able to be edited and not just read.

My current vodafone contract is up so switching over to O2 won't be too much of an issue - although I'm not too happy with the 18 months contract aspect.

Without advertising, where is the best place to get a sim free iPhone? Not too keen on getting one of eBay. If it's as easy as it sounds, I may just stick with vodafone.

Cheers

S

Keef
17th Dec 2007, 21:57
As one who nearly bought an iPhone, then checked the small print...

Be sure it does what you want! It's a brilliant display and operating system, but it's missing a lot of functionality that other batphones have. My O2 XDA Orbit doesn't have a fraction of the cachet, but it has several times the functionality (for the things I do).

When they release an iPhone that does Excel and Word, I could be tempted.

Farrell
5th Jan 2008, 08:12
I'm running Version 1.0.2 on my iPhone.

Is there any point in using Independance etc? It works fine as it is but I get the feeling that it's capable of doing far more.

Still holding off on updating iTunes on Danny's advice. Will have a trawl on the Mac forums and see what's happening.

MrJoshua
5th Jan 2008, 08:28
I'm running a US iPhone that I upgraded to 1.1.1 (the original version of this firmware, as they changed it ever-so-slightly without changing the version number) in the UK with a T-Mobile SIM and it works perfectly.

I've installed some 3rd party apps too, which are quite cool (gives me the ability to email photos at full size, download podcasts directly to the phone via WiFI etc).

Upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 isn't for the feint hearted though, as it requires you to choose the right version of the 1.1.1 firmware and also the right upgrade procedure (out of tens of differing "how-to" articles).

I found the correct firmware, then I think I followed this article (from the point of the iPhone being in a virgin 1.0.2 state, as mine was box-fresh):

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14384&highlight=select+firmware+iTunes

Anyway, back on-topic, I've used a Mac for the past year or so and the list of questions posed by the OP were exactly the same questions I had at the beginning. Hopefully you're now getting to grips with the Operating System?

IO540
5th Jan 2008, 09:31
Can a Mac network to a PC, with full browsing?

Unix doesn't network to Windoze - AFAIK you need something called Samba on the unix machine to emulate the windoze file system and networking.

Saab Dastard
5th Jan 2008, 10:49
Apple Networking Info (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652)

SD

Juud
7th Jan 2008, 20:28
Quick iBook question: when the cursor gets to the right bottom corner of the screen, the dashboard pops up. But the left bottom corner of the screen is also where I resize, so the dashboard pop-up is a pain.
Any way to change that?

Mini fan
7th Jan 2008, 20:56
system preferences | dashboard and expose

then change your hot corners :ok:

whiz
8th Jan 2008, 08:38
You don't need to get a contract with AT&T or o2. You just need the phone.
I purchased quite a few with v1.1.1 software and all I needed was iNdependence (http://code.google.com/p/independence/) and anySim (http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/anysim11.html).
Just google for them. The iNdependence software has all the instructions. You have to download the 1.0.4 software from the Apple website and rename the file. After that, iNdependence downgrades the phone to 1.0.4 and then you can jailbreak it. You then upgrade to 1.1.1 with iNdependence and finally you upload anySim to the phone and run it and then you have an activated iPhone that works with any sim from any network.

Takes about 30 minutes and involves restarting the iPhone several times.
v1.1.2 isn't that crackable just yet but it is not necessary as the only differences are some international keyboard layouts.

Once unlocked with iNdeoendence you can add many different apps and can customise the phone to your hearts content. Just use google and a bit of common sense.

So if I was to buy an iphone from apple/02/carphone warehouse I could unlock it and use it on any sim as a 'pay as you go' without the need of a contract ?

Telstar
8th Jan 2008, 15:24
No because the newer version of the software that comes on the phone has not been unlocked with an easy method like it did with Dannys version.

Seemingly the 1.1.2 version with 3.6 bootloader can only be unlocked with a "Turbosim". Which looks fiddly and not so durable.

Waiting anxiously for a software unlock for 1.1.2.!