PDA

View Full Version : Crediting of instrument time

9M-
21st Sep 2006, 06:50
Hi all,
I know this might sound silly to some but i just want to make sure if this is practiced the same way around the world. Here it goes:

1) When a student flies with an instructor for a normal simulated instrument flight under the hood, say for 45mins instrument time & 1 hour total flight time. Will the student log 1 hour in the dual section and 45mins in the instrument column? or 15mins in the dual section and 45mins in the instrument column?

1a) The instructor will log P1 for this flight. Can he/she log it under instrument time? Since he/she is not under the hood but supervising. Or the instructor will have to log 1 hr as a normal P1 flight?

Hope to have some insight from instructors around the world. I am sure some countries will defer slightly from one another.

UnderneathTheRadar
21st Sep 2006, 08:35
In Australia it's clearly spelt out in CAO 40.1.0 section 10.9:

"Instrument flight time may be logged by the pilot monitoring or providing input to the autopilot/autostabilisation equipment when it is engaged or by the pilot manually manipulating the controls when the aircraft is flown by reference to the instruments under either actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.

Note: Instrument flight time shall only be logged by 1 pilot at a time."

For your example, you get 1 hr dual and .7 instrument flight time and your instructor gets 1 hour in command with no instrument flight time (even if you were in real IMC). Note that your instrument flight time doesn't count towards your total aeronautical experience hence it seems like you 'count' it twice.

What actually gets logged I suspect may be totally different....

UTR

mattyj
23rd Sep 2006, 05:50
in New Zealand logbooks the simulated instrument column would be used which doesn't count toward your total time.
ie 1 hr dual (single engine I assume)
.7 in the adjacent column for simulated instrument time (column 14)

Centaurus
23rd Sep 2006, 13:26
I realise this is going back a few years, but does any reader remember when the rules were changed to permit autopilot flight time in IMC to be logged?

The original rules stated you could only log instrument flight time if you hand flew the aircraft in IMC and that automatic pilot time was not counted for the purposes of logging. I vaguely remember the goal posts were changed to allow easier logging of instrument hours for those companies (read Qantas?) whose policy was that autoflight was essential for required navigational accuracy.

At least this old method gave a true reflection of the pilots instrument flying experience as against now when logging instrument flight time while eating steak and eggs watching the FMCS do its thing, means nothing as far as real flying experience on instruments. The high instrument flying hours demanded by the RFDS recruiting people is because a greater percentage of applicants instrument hours are on autopilot?