PDA

View Full Version : World Stupidity Awards - for real

Two's in
21st Sep 2006, 02:12
Apparently this Canadian has been doing these awards for the last 4 years, I'm just guessing he's not a registered Republican:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060920/stupidity_awards_060920/20060920?hub=TopStories

U.S. President George Bush is a big winner in this year's World Stupidity Awards, joining the likes of the entire petroleum industry and Vice President Dick Cheney as the recipients of top honours.

Bush was nominated in several categories, including Stupidest Statement of the Year and Most Out of Touch with Reality in the awards roundup which was created to "salute achievement in ignorance and stupidity."

But the big winner, taking home the prize for the flagship category Stupidest Man of the Year, was District Judge Donald Thompson.

Known as the "Oklahoma Penis Pump Judge," Thompson operated a powerful penis pump underneath his robes -- while court was in session -- during at least three trials. He was convicted on June 29 of four counts of felony indecent exposure.

The awards, now in their fourth year, were created by Canadian actor, director and journalist Albert Nerenberg who worked with the philosophy that "we're all stupid, some of us just need to have it pointed out."

He first came up with the idea four years ago while working on a documentary on the subject of stupidity. As a publicity stunt for the film, a mock event called the World Stupidity Awards was held. The event garnered international coverage from mainstream media such as the BBC, and Nerenberg realized he was onto something.

Now in its fourth year, the awards show has continued to garner attention, with nominations submitted online and a panel of judges deciding the winners. Nerenberg hopes it will eventually become an annual television special.

In addition to Bush and Thompson, there are other worthy winners this year.

Harry Whittington won the Stupidest Statement of the Year award, for apologizing after Vice-President Dick Cheney shot him during a hunting outing.

"My family and I are deeply sorry for all that Vice President Cheney and his family have had to go through this past week," Whittington said at the time, still weak and visibly bruised from the birdshot that Cheney peppered him with.

Whittington beat out Mel Gibson's statement: "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?" which he made to a female sergeant following his arrest for drunk driving.

Not to be outdone, Cheney took his own award, winning the "Dumbest Moment of the Year" award for the act of shooting Whittington.

The petroleum industry took honours for reckless endangerment of the planet, and Fox News was recognized for having "Best Furthered Ignorance," in the world.

Basic Instinct 2, starring Sharon Stone, beat out Little Man and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, among others, to take the title of Stupidest Movie of the Year.

Stupidest Trend of the Year was won cleanly by "Killing people for God."

Bush took honours in the category of "Stupidest Statement by George W. Bush." The president's televised statement to FEMA director Michael Brown during the Hurricane Katrina devastation: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job," won easily.

Bush also won for being Most out of Touch with Reality.

The Middle East won the Lifetime Achievement Award for Stupidity.

Nick Flynn won the award for Making a Stupid Situation Stupider by tripping on his shoelaces, falling down a set of stairs and smashing three antique Chinese vases in a museum. He then criticized the museum for not taking better care of the precious artifacts

Jerricho
21st Sep 2006, 02:23
I nominate my mate Phil :E :E

Heatseeker
21st Sep 2006, 11:52
It seems an appropriate time to mention the Darwin awards - now here we DO have stupid. Mind you, any early morning on the M5 into Sydney would find several thousand contenders for first place.

Ho hum, stupids of the world - stay at home and die - pleeeeeeeeeeeze.

H

ormus55
21st Sep 2006, 12:12
my wifes family, can supply a nomination in every category.

come to think of it, in some categories they can supply several nominess.

Whirlygig
21st Sep 2006, 13:33
The difference with the Darwin Awards, is that the recipient has to kill themselves in a stupid accident way prior to nomination; these awards are, in the main, for the living.

I do believe though that there is one living recipient of a darwin Award; the chap who tied his sofa to weather balloons and ended up in Chicago Airspace!

Cheers

Whirls

Rwy in Sight
21st Sep 2006, 16:41
Darwin Awards are for people that by their demise improve the IQ level of our society. Hence there was a guy who was either nominated or earned one by accientally and in stupid way cut his genitals. The reasoning is that he can no longer breed hence he improves the human genes by not adding "bad" ones.

Rwy in Sight

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Sep 2006, 16:53
Darwin Awards are for people that by their demise improve the IQ level of our society.

Removal of an individual from the human gene pool by whatever means but usually in an amusingly stupid and gory manner, in actual fact.

Farmer 1
23rd Sep 2006, 09:24
The difference with the Darwin Awards, is that the recipient has to kill themselves in a stupid accident way prior to nomination; these awards are, in the main, for the living.

I do believe though that there is one living recipient of a darwin Award; the chap who tied his sofa to weather balloons and ended up in Chicago Airspace!

Cheers

Whirls
That story is completely untrue, Whirls.

It was not a sofa, it was a deckchair, and they weren't weather balloons.

lexxity
23rd Sep 2006, 09:41
Wasn't it LAX airspace?
:p :p

BombayDuck
23rd Sep 2006, 10:35
M'me Lexx, he did not get the award, he got an 'honourable mention' (which you 'septics' no doubt spell it 'honorable' considering that the Darwin Awards are your invention). That award is given to those who almost qualified for the Darwin but missed out by either not killing themselves or rendering themselves incapable of breeding.....

goshdarnit
23rd Sep 2006, 11:08
I was driving along the M4 and I heard a radio report saying that "some stupid motorist" was going the wrong way along said motorway. Undoubtedly a stupid motorist but the reporter must have missed something 'cos there were loads of the buggers going the wrong way where I was...

Lon More
23rd Sep 2006, 11:15
Well I guess the good judge won't need a penis pump where he is now Preumeably his circle of friends is being widened.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Sep 2006, 14:23
He was called Larry, it was a lawn chair and the airspace was over LA. He eventually landed safely and gave the chair to a child he saw standing there which he always regretted as he thought it should end up in the Smithsonian. There was a story of the chair resurfacing, but I'm not sure if it's true. He eventually died by suicide.

Tuned In
23rd Sep 2006, 14:26
Can't someone do this for genuine humour, rather than humorless and petty politics? Considering literally dozens of scandals that have hit the left-wing media in the USA, all showing they lied and made up stories or used terrorists as journalists, why does the only right-wing TV News get an award for furthering ignorrance? Perhaps those selecting the winners should have that one next year ...