PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth waste?

tlf
21st Sep 2006, 00:41
So a thread gets closed in the name of preventing waste of bandwidth and that it MIGHT draw some negative comment about Jetstar. But a check of Jetblast reveals such bandwidth wasting threads as

Finish the Sentence Thread
What's the most stupid question you've heard?
Last two letters start the next word.
What's the most useless gadget in your car?

Talk about double standards

Chimbu chuckles
21st Sep 2006, 01:18
Perhaps that is what JB is for?

Just a thought:ugh:

Turboman
21st Sep 2006, 01:26
The Internet was hopefully going to be the great equaliser for the people. No longer could information we were fed be censored as it has been. Freedom of speech for everyone.

That didn’t last long. The threat of litigation by big business and we’re back to censorship.

multi_engined
21st Sep 2006, 01:42
I bet this thread will be closed a few hours with the aim of reducing the waste of bandwidth.

Shitsu_Tonka
21st Sep 2006, 01:55
If you are referring to the thread I started titled ПШВ ИЩКФЕФ Л ФЬУКШПШ, that was my tongue in cheek way of saying that most of what is started in DG these days is a waste of bandwidth. Every bloody thread turns in to a bitch about Jetstar, Qantas or Virgin and usually ends up (if it runs long enough) reverting back to 1989.

When I have started legitimate threads about how (for example) airline operations are being affected by LTOP, Strategic Flow Trial or Assessment of Priorities rules it gets shifted off to GA/Questions so that RP can be kept available for more navel gazing about what pilot group is screwing the other.

Which would be fine if the contributors to those threads were actually professional pilots employed by one of those groups, but it becomes quickly evident that most of them are not at all.

Anyway, my thread was really my way of saying that I can understand where Danny is coming from about DG, but at the same time the moderation leaves a bit to be desired (sorry Woomeri, but it is true - some of those threads that run on for weeks should be pulled immediately. It is just putting off people trying to discuss anything reasonably).

I am quite happy not to contribute anymore to DG, but remember if a lot of contributors leave it will not be as effective a resource as it has been in the past when we were putting up very good arguments to defeat the 'crazies' in their destructive campaigns. (Even being quoted in Newspapers and Ministerial Correspondence).

Don't think there won't be another one around the corner. And you want a truely profesional forum to counter the 'protagonists'them when their heads pop up again.

DirectAnywhere
21st Sep 2006, 02:26
ST makes a pretty good point really. Although I see the issue as primarily one of the quality of posting rather than the quality of moderation.

It's pretty rare - although not unheard of - that I post anything on the QF/Jet* thing atm as it's all getting too hard going around in circles for ever.

tlf
21st Sep 2006, 05:29
Perhaps that is what JB is for?

Just a thought:ugh:

Quite right, however bandwidth wastage affects the website as a whole not an individual forum. Wasting bandwidth in one forum uses up bandwidth that could be used in the forums for which this website claims to exist.

tlf
21st Sep 2006, 05:30
I bet this thread will be closed a few hours with the aim of reducing the waste of bandwidth.

I bet you're right :)

Tidbinbilla
21st Sep 2006, 07:02
Maybe it's a polite way of stating that the quality of posts has turned to crap.:ok: