PDA

View Full Version : Proflite Australia

Aussie_Pilot
20th Sep 2006, 21:44
Hi buddies
another school contacted me today offering some learning program from zero to CPL,ATPL and Istructor rating.
Prices are good and they teach at YSBK ( Sydney Bankstown)

so anyone have heard something about Proflite Australia (Runflad Aviation) before?

Thanks and regards
C.

Bula
21st Sep 2006, 00:39
PM me... details would be good

Aussie
21st Sep 2006, 06:46
My only advice to you is stay clear of Michael Pulton!

Aussie

Tid Edit

GearOff
21st Sep 2006, 09:53
Depends if you can respect a multi engine instructor who's working for free I guess!

aerocom
21st Sep 2006, 11:01
Aussie Pilot

Go look at that aircraft before you sign up. Ask about their accident history.
Have a look around across the road.:uhoh: Is MP the guy that operated that ****ty Navago out of Hoxton Park doing skydiving.

halfmoon
28th Sep 2006, 22:02
Any further details on this school???
I am looking at them for multi training and $270 /hr dual is by far the best price around for a duchess unless someone knows of a better place to go??

Capt Mo
29th Sep 2006, 00:15
Halfmoon,

Thats the average private hire rate, so I think you will find that most schools will be charging around the $320-$360 mark, but then again, their multi instructors aren't teaching for free. :ugh:

Makes things a little hard for others who'd like to have a go at Multi Training, especially when competing with others who work for nothing!

Mo.

Xcel
29th Sep 2006, 05:12
There are at least 3 duchesses that are cheaper that i know of...

pm me if you are still looking. I know of one which is 220 wet and another which is 150 plus gst...

also can point you in the right direction for an instructor...

not a fan of proflite or basair just from past experience and plenty of better options at BK.

The Original Jetpipe
29th Sep 2006, 06:17
Hi,

Try C+H at Bankstown, they have a duchess which is cheaper than what you have been quoted. Think it is about £320 incl Instructor.

Regards

TOJP

Atlas Shrugged
3rd Oct 2006, 00:47
320 pounds/hr for a Crutchless???? Bloody Hell!

Bankstownboy
3rd Oct 2006, 09:39
I'm not authority on the multi engine courses with Proflite, but from what I've seen they use a cross hired Beechcraft whatever it is for this purpose. Seems to be quite popular too, cos there's generally a lotta Indian students coming in specifically for the multi endorsement, which seems to be quite a well set out course. For example there was one guy trying to find Proflite in the first place, so I took him there as I was on my way and an hour or 2 later he was already starting his endorsement in the air...

Rich-Fine-Green
3rd Oct 2006, 23:08
$270 hour dual for a Duchess??.

$220 hour solo for a Duchess??.

Make the most of it while it lasts!....the first time something goes wrong or needs overhaul, there will be nothing left in the owner's kitty to pay for engine/repairs etc.

With Avgas @ $1.40 and Beechcraft spares paid for @ US$0.75 forex - a Duchess can not be run as part of a (honest) viable business at the above rates.

DeltaSix
3rd Oct 2006, 23:12
Aussie_pilot

Proflite is now under a new management and they seem to be doing well.
I don't work for them but they've helped me do my instrument rating renewal and all my other requirements for my job with an overseas airline.

They've just finished training a few more instructors and got 2 x C-152s to add to their fleet. I've heard they are looking into buying a Partenavia for their multi training on top of the BE76 they are now cross-hiring.

Malcolm is one of the kindest and professional pilots I have ever known.
I honestly don't think he is working for free as he is there 5 days a week - how can anyone support themselves and a family working for free, and even if he is (which I doubt very much) my respect for the guy is not based on this but how he treats his students and his teaching methods. He was my theory instructor in TAFE a few years ago and I was very impressed.

Aussie_Pilot, check out their new flight simulator, it's really nice ( large screen and a realistic control panel). Good for IFR practice. I think they've just got it certified by CASA.

Go there and decide for yourself.

D6

Bankstownboy
4th Oct 2006, 00:39
And those 2 x C-152s are damn fine birds if I don't say so myself. TLN's a dream to fly...

As for the Parternavia there was talk a month or 2 back about actually purchasing one, and I'm pretty sure it's now well on the way.

Matt-YSBK
4th Oct 2006, 07:09
Take care with a cheap Duchess. I own a Duchess and have flown a few on the field at BK. The old saying you get what you pay for has never been more accurate then with the BE76. As Fine-Green Said (he sounds like he has paid the price in his life) It's hard to run a duchess at a price under around $250 and make a cent. Thats given that nothing breaks. Parts are $$$$$. Thats if you can even get them. I had mine on line for a while before i relised that it does not pay) Going to give the charter seen a bash now to see if i can break even.

As for Schools. I can recommend Schofields (Who now have a new duchess online( Not mine) ) Price is more then fair and the staff have a good attitude.

I think Jeff Daniel and Peter are the guys there that can do Inital ME. Jeff did my training and he is great.

Good Luck.

dodoflies
4th Oct 2006, 16:53
Hi fellows,
Just to mention, that I was an overseas student a decade ago at TAFE and Malcolm was one my instructors,he was always approachable and eager to help,I do not think that he has changed into a bad guy or instructor.
I have lots of appreciation for my instructors specially that I have found success as a jet pilot with a major international carrier after having done the hard yards in dark africa like most non-aussie pilots looking for a lucky break...:ok:

DeltaSix
4th Oct 2006, 22:07
Take care with a cheap Duchess. I own a Duchess and have flown a few on the field at BK. The old saying you get what you pay for has never been more accurate then with the BE76. As Fine-Green Said (he sounds like he has paid the price in his life) It's hard to run a duchess at a price under around $250 and make a cent. Thats given that nothing breaks. Parts are $$$$$. Thats if you can even get them. I had mine on line for a while before i relised that it does not pay) Going to give the charter seen a bash now to see if i can break even.
As for Schools. I can recommend Schofields (Who now have a new duchess online( Not mine) ) Price is more then fair and the staff have a good attitude.
I think Jeff Daniel and Peter are the guys there that can do Inital ME. Jeff did my training and he is great.
Good Luck.

Hi Matt - which Duchess do you own ? and how much ? if I get a chance I'll hire it from you. By the way, I've heard VH-IIF had a prang in Camden.
Apparently some guy retracted the landing gear instead of the flaps.
As Steve Irwin would say - "Crikey - a bird with no legs ".

Matt-YSBK
5th Oct 2006, 00:58
Hi Matt - which Duchess do you own ? and how much ? if I get a chance I'll hire it from you. By the way, I've heard VH-IIF had a prang in Camden.
Apparently some guy retracted the landing gear instead of the flaps.
As Steve Irwin would say - "Crikey - a bird with no legs ".

Yes i heard IIF was off line but i think i saw it flying the otherday so perhap's it's back ? I pluged my handheld GPS into IIF's lighter socket (and yes my gps could do 28v) once a few years back and it smoked it up right on the dash.

There is a chance i may be doing some Private Hire Only of mine (IPH) over the next few months with some conditions (No Circuits) send me a PM with your email address and i will put you on the mailing list.

Matt.

DeltaSix
5th Oct 2006, 09:59
Hi Matt,

I'll PM you my email address. I've got 880+ in multi time. I will be away for a few months from late October as I have a job in the A340 in Asia. So, put me on the list and I'll see if I can hire it from you before I leave or during my 3day lay over. I thought IIF was still off line. Managed to get the autopilot working in that thing eventually. It has it's idiosyncrancies.

I've been flying the Duchess for 7 years now. My favourite next to the Chief.
I'll probably buy one eventually if the spare parts are still available....:{

Cheers

D6

Wheeler
7th Oct 2006, 07:27
$270 hour dual for a Duchess??.
$220 hour solo for a Duchess??.
Make the most of it while it lasts!....the first time something goes wrong or needs overhaul, there will be nothing left in the owner's kitty to pay for engine/repairs etc.
With Avgas @ $1.40 and Beechcraft spares paid for @ US$0.75 forex - a Duchess can not be run as part of a (honest) viable business at the above rates.

RFG, Too right!

Too many folk buy aircraft thinking they will pay for themselves - and then end up cutting corners to minimse the losses they make when they subsidiise the schools and the punters they hire them out to!

Yet another thing that totally f....s up this industry. Seriously good aircraft cost serious money.

B767 andrew
7th Oct 2006, 23:39
What a disgrace , aussie pilot you and your partners in crime obviously have nothing better to do than sit on here and bag one of the best in the buisness.
So what if he works for free ,which he does not ,and the duchess price who cares if the price is cheaper , MALCOLM IS TRYINGTO HELP STUDENTS without increasing costs unlike other schools who charge you to make profit.
As for the crash history is that anyones buisness , i am a great pilot so i do whats called a pre-flight inspection , but unlike you aussie pilot suppose you cant do a pre flight at home on your simulator.
I can recall just the other day it was hot ,end of day malcolm was flying and before he sorted himself out when he returned , he asked me if i needed help , he puts students first and thats what he does , malcolm is motivated , passionate and a great mentor/teacher.
To any student thinking of flying i reccomend malcolm and proflite for their proffesionalism and motivation to give you the best servce and training anywhere.
there has been more airline pilots come from here than any other schools.
aussie pilot im glad you dont fly at proflite , we dont need try hards like you.
enjoy flight sim 98:p

elche
8th Oct 2006, 03:49
I cant help but think that some of the negative comments made against Malcolm Poulton are nothing more than a form of self-aggrandizing in a lame attempt at improving ones own low self-esteem!
If you really feel the need to put someone down please indulge us with some facts!
I know for a FACT that Malcolm is one of the most honest and friendliest person in Bankstown. I did my Pre-license test flight, Multi-Engine and Duchess endorsements, and started my NVFR with him, and I cant find a single bad thing to critisise the guy about.
I have never met any Teacher/Instructor that is willing to put his own interests a side for those of his pupils as Malcolm does. It is for this reason alone that i feel the need to post here, as all comments made are trully unfounded!
About Proflite....
I have been there for 18 months now, and all i can say is that since its been under new management the place has really started to shine! They have a great team there from Management, Instructors and students.
VH-TLQ and VH-TLN both have cruise props on them, and TLQ has long-range tanks (150ltrs i think). I have flown both and they are great little bug smashers to fly.
About the Duchess...
ASA and IIF are both in good conditions (well IIF is no longer with us... R.I.P), the guys at Sydney skydiving really look after them, and the reason for the price being so cheap is that they do their own maintenance. I've flown IIF and backseated ASA. SCHOFIELDS duchie is good also, but I think the autopilot or GPS isn't working, i think the rate was $256p/h.
D.C

Boney
8th Oct 2006, 06:00
Yeah, what 'e said!

I have never flown at Proflite and no I am not a mate of MP. However, I have had many dealings, more on a business side with him although he did do my PA-31 Endorsement many moons ago.

He is a good bloke who actually does give a $hit about those he deals with. A person who knows this industry is pretty Roo Ted but does his bit swimming against the tide.

Besides, Woomera, I thought you could not name names on this site, I can't believe this one has not been canned long ago????????

wdn
9th Oct 2006, 22:59
ASA and IIF are rubbish, IIF more so. the owners can't even be bothered to deal with customers directly, preferring to use an internet based booking system. make sure you check online before you leave home otherwise it may be "in maintenance", or stuck away with a VFR pilot when you get there, they will not let you know themselves via a simple phone call.

make sure you check ASAs data card validity before you use it, they rarely update it on time....

elche
10th Oct 2006, 09:20
I was booked for a nav. flight on IIF a few days after it crashed, and received a call from Syd. Skydiving letting me know it was no longer available... :hmm:

Go take a look at UYY (aerostar) and see how well looked after that is... Duchesses are/where looked after the same. :ok:

GWYN
10th Oct 2006, 21:12
So what happened to George P at Proflite?

Anyone know?

DeltaSix
12th Oct 2006, 03:25
So what happened to George P at Proflite?
Anyone know?

Retired due to medical reasons. Not sure what he's doing now.

GWYN
12th Oct 2006, 19:40
Thanks, DeltaSix