PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hammond critically injured

EGLD
20th Sep 2006, 20:14
Top Gear presenter hurt in crash

The presenter was reportedly testing a jet-powered car
Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.
The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to a Leeds hospital which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene but was regaining consciousness at the hospital.

A BBC spokesman confirmed the presenter had been injured during a shoot.

markflyer6580
20th Sep 2006, 20:18
Just posted the same thread-removed to save the mods a job.
Hope he recovers soon though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm

Saintsman
20th Sep 2006, 20:26
A BBC spokesman confirmed the presenter had been injured during a shoot.

A bit of an understatement really:ouch:

It'll probably give the ratings a blast though.

I wish him well.

handysnaks
20th Sep 2006, 20:34
On the basis that we [email protected] need to stick together, I wish him well too.

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2006, 21:00
http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/Chopper3_whywasntitclarkson.jpg

Loki
20th Sep 2006, 21:18
Top bloke who has provided a lot of entertainment to the Loki household. Hope he recovers.

BlooMoo
20th Sep 2006, 21:19
OneWorld, I drive a car not only out of necessity but because I believe it improves my life - Some people break speed limits and some 'pack 'em in' - not me though. Surely if the law can't impose reasonable behaviour (like not driving) then it's unreasonable to expect ordinary people to just automatically fall in line.

Why are you mocking car drivers and indeed the car industry - you've lost credibility.

BM

G-WHOT
20th Sep 2006, 21:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm

Thoughts with Richards family at this stage,I am sure you will all agree.

Lets hope he makes a full recovery and returns to Top Gear, which has recently become a comedy show, like turning cars in to boats!!:ok:

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2006, 21:23
Ehhhhhhhh, what??????????????????????

Gouabafla
20th Sep 2006, 21:30
Sorry Blue Moo, I don't understand your comment, I thought One World's graphic was amusing. Tasteless, perhaps, but amusing nonetheless.

Parapunter
20th Sep 2006, 21:34
Tasetless & amusing is done well & often in here. All the best to the hamster.

Could bever have been May, he never gets above 30

OneWorld22
20th Sep 2006, 21:42
It's a British tradition Blumoo, Gallows humour, a lot of people don't understand it but that's just the way it is. look at the jokes that went around barely hours after Steve Irwin died!:} I mean:(

And I love cars for the record...

3legs
20th Sep 2006, 21:46
Just heard the news! Saddened to hear "hampster" has been injured. I wish him all the best in his recovery! Great Show

3legs

mcgoo
20th Sep 2006, 22:05
apparently a tyre burst, different sites report speeds up to 315mph

Venkman
20th Sep 2006, 22:12
Get well soon my little friend!

BlooMoo
20th Sep 2006, 22:16
OneWorld, many thanks - I must admit that I made a smartarse comment to the wife following the news of Irwin along the lines of 'if you pull enough croc/snake/etc. tails, one day you'll get bit - and thought that was a really cool observation.

Of course I see the headlines about Hammond now, and as someone I've related to over the last year or two, I don't quite feel the same although I could post the same sentiment - i.e. drive in enough rocket cars, etc, etc and sooner or later you'll hit something.

My smartarse comment to the wife about Irwin now feels rather lame as I genuinely feel the potential loss re. Hammond because he's been familiar and come across as a good lad whereas Irwin seemed like just some unknown Oz bloke who bugged the wildlife.

I s'pose I'll never stop growing up...

Anyway, where's the Ryder Cup Thread?

BM

mcgoo
20th Sep 2006, 22:35
now classed as stable

Buster Hyman
20th Sep 2006, 22:44
Maybe his mum can cover him for a few weeks.

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2006, 23:02
Russell Crowe said that Steve had 'struck deep into people's hearts'.
So I suppose he could have expected a similar response from the stingray . . .

Spinflight
20th Sep 2006, 23:08
I guess a map of the UK with speech bubbles of, "Why wasn't it OneWorld" would have been just as, if not more, amusing then...

Good luck Mr. Hammond. A speedy recovery if you'll pardon the pun.

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2006, 23:16
http://www.bluebird-electric.net/bluebird_images/vampire_dragster.jpg
Saw it perform at Bruntingthorpe.

Dak Mechanic
21st Sep 2006, 00:09
Hope the little fella makes a full recovery.

JC

Rollingthunder
21st Sep 2006, 00:18
I wish all the best for Mr. Hammond.

That vehicle has no relationship to streamlining.....more like a dragster.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
21st Sep 2006, 00:19
apparently a tyre burst, different sites report speeds up to 315mphif only he'd kept it to 159mph or below . . .

whoateallthepies
21st Sep 2006, 00:39
Well done to the (I presume) Yorkshire Air Ambulance crew and the excellent volunteer helipad crew made up from the porters at Leeds General Infirmary.

That rooftop helipad has proved its worth more than once in saving lives. I hope it makes a difference to the recovery of Mr Hammond.

Blacksheep
21st Sep 2006, 01:42
Tasteless and Amusing. That's what Top Gear is all about isn't it? None would appreciate the cartoon more than JC - except perhaps for Richard Hammond.

I wish the Hamster a speedy and full recovery.

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 05:17
The Times: .......It is understood that Hammond, 36, had just broken the British land speed record of 300.3mph and was in the process of slowing down the jet-powered Vampire vehicle, with the aid of a parachute, when it overturned.

Daysleeper
21st Sep 2006, 05:56
On the bright side if he's out of action for a while we might get Sabine Schmitz to present. :}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

http://www.maseraticlub.co.uk/racing7/ring-09a.jpg

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 06:16
As a human being, I hope he makes a full recovery.

The other side of the coin is that for a long time now, the show has seemingly been more orientated to three little boys (and their ego's) having fun ---paid for by the Beeb. Lots's of silly pranks etc, and relatively little about, well, motoring. This time, the wish to impress the viewers seems to have gone too far. That car is a serious bit of kit after all and I wonder if he had the experience and expertise to be able to cope with it?. What's his background vis a vis motoring and high speed professional driving I wonder.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2006, 06:30
All the best fella...

If the car's speed was over 300mph and the engine intake is just behind his head...WTF is the windspeed over his nut?

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 06:53
What's his background vis a vis motoring and high speed professional driving I wonder. If a tyre blew at around 300mph under braking, I believe the answer is "totally irrelevant".

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 07:09
If a tyre blew at around 300mph under braking, I believe the answer is "totally irrelevant".

Fair enough point-----however----mine is that for those who engage in high speed driving in a professional capacity, then the inherent risks are understood and, at some point they will encounter severe problems / accidents etc---it's part of their job after all and hence, whilst you can't train for a blow out at 300mph, these drivers do have a level of experience in coping with emergencies which, I propose, by virtue of the fact he is in essence "Joe Bloggs" in this area, Hammond would not have.

cessna l plate
21st Sep 2006, 07:42
That's a bit harsh KnC.
Whilst the show is somewhat "laddish", it has also brought more of a fun element into motoring journalism. My wife would never have even considered watching the old Top Gear, but watches this version whenever it's on. It is entertaining as well as showcasing new cars and things for cars. That gives it an appeal to a wider audience than the anoraks that compare .0001 of a BHP at the weekend. The mix of presenters personalities works, along with some of the "races" they stage. OK so the race with the 182 was somewhat stages for JC to win, Bugatti Veyron or not, they should have won really, but it makes for entertaining tele, and that is the objective of the programme.

Also, don't forget Hampsters other job, presenter of Braniac Science Abuse.
Top bloke, good presenter, wish him a speedy recovery

on21
21st Sep 2006, 07:47
Krystal n chips, got to back you up there, why was Andy Green selected to drive both Thrust SST and the JCB car, it not your ability to drive straight, but your ability and training coping with emergencies.
Maybe it was irrecoverable, but that’s when you earn your money.

All the same, excellent bloke and wish him a speedy recovery.

bladewashout
21st Sep 2006, 08:03
Can Jeremy Clarkson be sure that it's not just a really good set-up to keep the hamster out of the limelight long enough to get his teeth looking really-really nice and white? :)
BW

Impress to inflate
21st Sep 2006, 08:18
I only pay my tv licence for top gear, worth every penny, even my wife will watch it with me, a first. Make a speedy recovery Hamster an get back behind the wheel. K and C crawl under your rock and mull on it.

yakker
21st Sep 2006, 08:26
Rolling, it looks like a dragster becouse that is what it started life as at Santa Pod in the 1980's.

Orac, I agree with you, I lost a friend driving the original Vampire at Santa Pod. He had raced many times here and abroad. But with a failure at over 200mph he hit the armco, and sadly lost his life. You cannot train for that.

Hamster new there was an element of risk, and accepted that when he chose to drive the car. Unfortunately it went wrong, get well soon.

skydriller
21st Sep 2006, 08:42
K'n C, I dont agree with a word you say, though from watching the news coverage on the accident this morning, it looks like the meeja are saying exactly the same thing as you, but with the added "should anyone be allowed to have fun at all" slant......Which obviously I also disagree with.

I suspect that the hamster was having a complete blast driving that thing when he crashed and got injured......and good on him!! Here's wishing him a speedy recovery!!

Regards, SD..

PS... Yeah, I agree, let the german bird on the show for a while!!

Champagne Anyone?
21st Sep 2006, 08:52
Blade,
You beat me to it!! Lets hope those ultra pearly whites are intact, otherwise Clarkson will have to find something else to ridicule him for.....

Good luck Teeth, make a speedy recovery!! :ok: :ok:

Strepsils
21st Sep 2006, 10:13
KnC - and relatively little about, well, motoring

That's what 5th gear is for! They do the serious motor reviews, Top Gear larks about and has a laugh. It's a balance that works well in my opinion.:ok:

Lon More
21st Sep 2006, 10:26
Bad taste, but have to inquire "How's his organ?":\

It may be just a dragster, but something as potent as that requires quite a lot of experience to drive, and normally the driver would hold an competition license. I don't know what his previous experience is, but i guess it could be compared to putting the average PPL into a GR3. In other words, irresponsible. BBC has a bit of a history of this sort of accident as a competitor on Noel Edmonds' show did something similar a number of years ago.
Hope he pulls through OK

speeddial
21st Sep 2006, 10:36
Regardless of this being a Health and Safety nightmare to perform it's what the Top Gear team would've wanted - to do the event and accept the risks rather than live in a nanny state.

Get well soon.

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 10:39
K'n C, I dont agree with a word you say, though from watching the news coverage on the accident this morning, it looks like the meeja are saying exactly the same thing as you, but with the added "should anyone be allowed to have fun at all" slant......Which obviously I also disagree with.
I suspect that the hamster was having a complete blast driving that thing when he crashed and got injured......and good on him!! Here's wishing him a speedy recovery!!
Regards, SD..
PS... Yeah, I agree, let the german bird on the show for a while!!

SD, fair enough, you probably don't. I knew nothing about this until I logged on here btw--but I would concur with the "repression of fun" school of thought as being negative and intrusive. However, let me expand slightly.

The people who drive these cars have, I assume, worked their way up various classes of vehicles which are high speed orientated. They will, like the top bikers who all fall off and break bits of themselves, have had a few incidents. No, you cannot train for the totally unexpected--but you can be trained to react and attempt to keep control based on experience and training as has been pointed out re Thrust etc. I can't, much as I would like to, pitch up to a track and say "gizza go" now can I ?. The point I am trying to make is ----is there anything within Hammonds background that would support his ability to drive and cope with a car of this nature, or, as may well be the case--was it just a potential viewing spectacle that sadly has gone very wrong by virtue of the fact that, on the day in question, the 99 out of a 100 chances came up. And was he the right person for this. Clarkson is an unshamed speed merchant--why wasn't he driving ?.

Think of it this way. Say a person is a PPL with 3000 hrs--for arguments sake--and is suddenly offered the chance to get into an F-15 --this is just hypothesis btw---and gets a bit of dual time first--then it's "off you go"--gets airborne and a donk blows on finals at about 300ft with a cross wind to boot----whilst the pilot may have some 3000hrs in Cessna etc--and experience --how is he or she going to cope with this---they can't and the result would be the same.

I hope he recovers, I have no animosity towards him as a human being.

Parapunter
21st Sep 2006, 10:45
Steve Berry who presented on TG for 9 years was on Talk Sport last night, saying how whilst he thought TG had become a parody of a motoring show, that at least the three presenters were, despite appearances, serious motoring print journalists, who had between them driven thousands of cars & were well capable of handling just about anything put infront of them. Short of full blown racing drivers, they were as able as one could hope for in the circumstances. Make of that what you will.

Gingerbread Man
21st Sep 2006, 10:47
Fair enough point-----however however... you don't like Top Gear. Are you just using this as an excuse to complain again? Whilst it may have been a bit foolhardy, there's no need to turn this back into an "I don't like TG" rant. As has been said to you on every TG thread since the dawn of time; if it's not your cup of tea, don't watch it.

That's what 5th gear is for! They do the serious motor reviews

Like seeing which will drive better sideways - a BMW M3 or an Audi RS4. I wonder if the 4WD one will be a tad more reluctant?? Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but hardly comes under the banner of serious, does it?

Get well soon Mr Hammond - all the best.

Ginger

Polikarpov
21st Sep 2006, 10:50
Clarkson is an unshamed speed merchant--why wasn't he driving?

Jeremy is about two feet taller and a good deal wider, I'd presume he didn't fit in the car.

If the Hamster had broken some sort of land speed record as indicated presumably this was his second timed run? You have to do two, don't you?

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the chap. From the shambles-in-a-hanger that was the first episode of Clarkson-Hammond-May TopGear, it's matured into a slick, polished, hour-long visual treat of escapism which fully deserves it's worldwide popularity.

:ok:

tubthumper
21st Sep 2006, 11:12
I just wanted to add my sentiments, too. The present Mrs Thumper only watches the show because of the Hamster (at least that's what I reckon), but you only have to watch and see the presenters driving to appreciate that they are all highly capable and accomplished drivers (with the possible exception of James May).

Top Gear is a rare thing on telly: a show which is hosted by three individuals who are genuinely passionate about the subject matter, not just the usual vacuous "celebrities" hauled on to give it some percieved sense of glamour.

Get well soon, Richard.

Mr Lexx
21st Sep 2006, 11:25
Hope he recovers soon :ok:

Polikarpov. Correct, you have to do another run in the opposite direction, and the time recorded is the average of the two.

TURIN
21st Sep 2006, 11:26
Apparently, James "Captain Slow" May was initially slated to drive but The Hamster stepped in some weeks ago. Also BBC are reporting that this was an attempt at the unofficial UK land speed record. IE one way only.

As for the numpties moaning about safety etc. Give it a rest will you. They're big (ish) boys having a laugh and making great telly. TG is irreverent and is one of the most popular BBC exports worldwide.
Get well soon Hampster.

Also, Bloo Moo could you either fully explain your first post or remove it it's driving me nuts. Ta.

ormus55
21st Sep 2006, 11:27
get well soon richard.

re TG as a poor motoring program?
think you have to look at it as entertainment with a motoring theme, rather than a pure motoring program ala 1970 TV, testing family saloons ad nauseam.
when looked at in that light, its an excellent program.

if you want to see the latest nissan micra etc.. being tested, check out the alternative rubbish on itv/c4 etc....

Foss
21st Sep 2006, 11:37
TG is a great show, fun and informative.
It's a pity the hamster tried to do the land speed record on his head with a jet on top of him.
I hope he recovers completely.
And has another go.

Burnt Fishtrousers
21st Sep 2006, 11:43
Im a bit fan of TG and wish Richard a speedy recovery, but one has to ask the question why didnt they get a professional drag driver to do this .They could have probably selected one of many that are seen racing at Santa Pod frequently, who have vast experience of this sort of driving

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 11:49
however... you don't like Top Gear. Are you just using this as an excuse to complain again? Whilst it may have been a bit foolhardy, there's no need to turn this back into an "I don't like TG" rant. As has been said to you on every TG thread since the dawn of time; if it's not your cup of tea, don't watch it.

Ginger

Ahem, no don't like TG in it's present format---so I don't watch it.

However, if you read the posts carefully , you will see that I am questioning his capability and reasons as to why he was driving the vehicle---not slagging of the prog.

chevvron
21st Sep 2006, 11:59
The car itself is quite old; I remember seeing it at Santa Pod about 20 years ago when the'd just got hold of the engines and had built their own afterburners; ran on diesel in those days but was NEVER as good as Sammy Miller's rocket car which used an HTP motor and cleared the 1/4 mile in about 3 secs with a terminal speed over 300. The HTP motor produced about 10,000 lb thrust the instant you started pumping the fuel through the catalyst, whereas the jet engine needed a certain amont of 'ram' effect to produce full thrust, hence produced more thrust the faster it went.
Wonder if Mr Hammond held a competiton licence and medical.

TheKentishFledgling
21st Sep 2006, 12:05
Im a bit fan of TG and wish Richard a speedy recovery, but one has to ask the question why didnt they get a professional drag driver to do this .They could have probably selected one of many that are seen racing at Santa Pod frequently, who have vast experience of this sort of driving

Would a professional driver have had any more control over events following a blow out at 300 mph?

tKF

yakker
21st Sep 2006, 12:11
Kn'C
No you don't need to work your way up the classes to drive a jet car. You can buy an engine, build the car and run it. If scrutineering accept the car build is good and the car is 'safe', you can drive it.

It is much easier to drive than say, a top fuel dragster, no power through the wheels, no clutch or burnouts to do. Hand throttle, foot brake, oh and an afterburner switch on the steering wheel. Hold the car on the brake, wind the throttle up, car will slip before 100% is achieved. Foot off the brake and steer. Close the throttle back through the gate and the parachutes deploy, when enough speed has decayed use the foot brake.

From a PPL to a F-15, no chance. From a road car to a jet car, no problem.

Hamster could have had an accident when blasting around Dunsfold at over 150mph, a tyre going or car failure could have seen him rolling end over end, with similar results to his health.

Skunkerama
21st Sep 2006, 12:43
Apparantley he's just regained consiousness so hopefully he's going to be ok.

Information taken from Pistonheads forum.

H Ferguson
21st Sep 2006, 12:44
poor little hamster, hope he gets well soon, apparently james may was supposed to be driving.

James May a.k.a. "Captain Slow"

Richard Hammond a.k.a. "The Hamster"

can't decide who has the funniest nickname.

anyway glad to hear richard hammond will be alright it could have ended a lot worse.

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2006, 12:53
Bring back Raymond Baxter, I say.

Is it true, (as a similar shortarse) that the Hammie's booster cushion slipped and he lost sight of the track ahead?

TURIN
21st Sep 2006, 13:07
It was a gov issue booster seat so no problem there then....:\

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 13:26
Kn'C
No you don't need to work your way up the classes to drive a jet car. You can buy an engine, build the car and run it. If scrutineering accept the car build is good and the car is 'safe', you can drive it.
It is much easier to drive than say, a top fuel dragster, no power through the wheels, no clutch or burnouts to do. Hand throttle, foot brake, oh and an afterburner switch on the steering wheel. Hold the car on the brake, wind the throttle up, car will slip before 100% is achieved. Foot off the brake and steer. Close the throttle back through the gate and the parachutes deploy, when enough speed has decayed use the foot brake.
From a PPL to a F-15, no chance. From a road car to a jet car, no problem.
Hamster could have had an accident when blasting around Dunsfold at over 150mph, a tyre going or car failure could have seen him rolling end over end, with similar results to his health.

Thanks for the explanation yakker :ok: "never assume, check" comes to mind.

Now, if TG had done a feature on how easy it was / is to get yourself a jet car................;) :p Krystal would have known what was involved:) --JOKE oh ginger one ---ok ! :p :E

brain fade
21st Sep 2006, 13:42
If he survives ok, which looks likely now, will he allow the footage to be used? My guess is yes.
Hope he comes out of this well.:ok:

Nevil Sopwith
21st Sep 2006, 13:49
As my erstwhile hero Mr Shute said:
"To put your life in danger from time to time breeds a serenness in dealing with the day to day trivialities of life".
Thank you to all those people who have the guts to do just that.
Richard is far more than a petrol head and I sincerely hope he makes a speedy and full recovery so he can continue to explore the great and wonderful challenges and mysteries of life.

Snifferdog
21st Sep 2006, 13:56
it didnt take long!!!! http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VADnAsQaiJpu08V0CltQSGTxAyVC8OfIurT*V8SR7evS65vSl9FMCO*cGfp CGTZf1EUrj

Best Wishes to Master Hammond :ok:

woolyalan
21st Sep 2006, 13:58
404 not found there snifferdog

Snifferdog
21st Sep 2006, 13:59
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VADnAsQaiJpu08V0CltQSGTxAyVC8OfIurT*V8SR7evS65vSl9FMCO

Snifferdog
21st Sep 2006, 14:00
Try http://www.b3ta.com/

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 14:18
No you don't need to work your way up the classes to drive a jet car. You can buy an engine, build the car and run it. Lets see, how many of these (http://unitednuclear.com/jetplans.htm) will we need..... :}

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2006, 14:36
As someone who worked in vehicle development, I was APPALLED when I got my chance to travel (at speed) as an end-user in the back of an ambulance. 'Twas but a high-speed VAN.
Shame really, as Dennis designed a (Jaguar-engined) dedicated ambulance, but the authorities wouldn't pay for it (as converted vans were cheaper).

Pancake
21st Sep 2006, 15:15
As someone who worked in vehicle development, I was APPALLED when I got my chance to travel (at speed) as an end-user in the back of an ambulance. 'Twas but a high-speed VAN.
Shame really, as Dennis designed a (Jaguar-engined) dedicated ambulance, but the authorities wouldn't pay for it (as converted vans were cheaper).
Mind you, GC, I remember some VERY hairy rides in some of the high speed crash vehicles at RAF Manston...
P. (go on then, guess who I am! :ok: )

yakker
21st Sep 2006, 15:28
Orac, will this do you? http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

phnuff
21st Sep 2006, 16:21
BBC ticker says he has suffereing 'significant' brain injuries. Doesn't sound too good for him

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2006, 16:31
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13543385,00.html?f=dta
Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond suffered a "significant brain injury" when he crashed a high-speed car, a hospital source has said.
But doctors at Leeds General Infirmary, where the 36-year-old is in a serious but stable condition, say they are "reasonably optimistic" he will make a good recovery.

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 16:32
News is reporting a "major" brain injury, but no internal bleeding, and that they hope for a "good" recovery. The reporter made much of the fact they did not say full recovery, but that may just be caution. Fingers still crossed.

Barnaby the Bear
21st Sep 2006, 16:34
Apparently he has a serious brain injury.. But should make a good recovery.
Definately an invaluable part of the trio that makes up Top Gear (Not including TDG).
Thoughts with his family, wishing him a full recovery and seeing him on our screens again. . :ok:

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2006, 16:39
What is worse? Crippling mobility injuries, or mental injuries?

As one who has (MUCH less significant) hidden (physical) disabilities, I get FAR more concern expressed when I cut my finger and apply a minor bandage (to keep it clean). EVERYBODY enquires "What have you done, is it serious?" etc etc, yet the same people will greet you with "How are you?" without wanting any answer other than "Fine . . . "

21st Sep 2006, 16:56
Does anyone know the likeliness of Hammond returning to Top Gear actually presenting now that it is known he has 'significant brain injuries' sounds soo bad and serious, glad the hospital staff are optomistic however, wish him well and a full recovery! :\

The Hustler
21st Sep 2006, 17:12
A website set up a donation page for the Air Ambulance here - doing quite well too :-
http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond

Gingerbread Man
21st Sep 2006, 18:08
KnC, I believe it states in the Jet Blast rules of engagement that reading posts either carefully or in full is frowned upon. I believe someone has now cleared up whether it required extra training to drive, but i'll admit it was a reasonable question - cheerfully withdrawn, your honour :8 .

I do hope the 'brain damage' isn't as serious as it sounds. Best wishes.

Ginger ;)

Low Flier
21st Sep 2006, 18:19
I hope the Hamster was using a booster cushion. Otherwise, anything could have happened.

Gingerbread Man
21st Sep 2006, 18:30
Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over its big-budget car stunts, and in 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed".

Miserable gits. I notice they didn't say anything about wasting taxpayer's money - think of the hypocrisy!

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2006, 18:48
I hope the Hamster was using a booster cushion. Otherwise, anything could have happened.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2864693&postcount=60
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2864724&postcount=61

Noah Zark.
21st Sep 2006, 19:06
Top guy, hope he recovers quickly, and top prog.The local T.V. news here in Yorkshire has massive coverage of the incident. But what really gets me is that already we are being subjected to the "Nanny State" treatment. i.e. Were the the right safety precautions taken? Should he have been driving the car? "The Health & Safety will be looking into the accident."
Interview an "expert" on these matters, Cross-check with a different opinion somewhere else.
The whole set-up really make me :mad: sick.
The Hamster knew of the risks. He wasn't driving the thing under duress. He probably would have fought someone for the chance to drive it, if it needed to be.
Nanny State, sod off. Let people take risks. It's something people enjoy. It's fun. It makes life enjoyable. Even with the risks.

lexxity
21st Sep 2006, 19:31
Hamster, get well soon. The Top Gear team have brought so much fun of a sunday evening into our house. My thoughts are with his family.

mocoman
22nd Sep 2006, 01:55
Thoughts with the Hamster and family.

So many good times already; so many still to come...

Push on through mate, just push on through......

ORAC
22nd Sep 2006, 05:14
The Times:
...........Last night Clarkson disclosed that he had made Hammond smile by calling him “a crap driver”. He told The Sun: “He was lying peacefully with a black eye but didn’t react so I tried something else. “I said, ‘The reason you’re here is because you’re a crap driver’. He then smiled at me. It was an amazing moment, very moving.”

It´s a man thing.......

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2006, 05:47
I understand that the vehicle came to rest with the roll-over bar (and Hamster's head) buried in the earth.
I PRESUME he was wearing a leather helmet and shades?

ORAC
22nd Sep 2006, 06:07
Torygraph: Richard is a bit bashed in... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/22/nhammond122.xml)

"James May, a friend and colleague of the injured Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond, said yesterday he was confident his co-star would make a full recovery after his horrific car crash. May, who had originally been due to drive the jet-propelled dragster for the BBC2 programme, breathed a sigh of relief after visiting Hammond in hospital. He said that although Hammond, 36, was a bit "bashed in" and could not talk properly, he remained his normal cocky self.

May, who spent a number of hours with his fellow presenter yesterday, said: "The specialist says he's got substantial head injuries and that's pretty clear when you see him. But they're reasonably confident of a recovery. With these sorts of injuries there are days of observations to make before they're absolutely sure."

May, who writes a column for The Daily Telegraph motoring section, said his friend was not a pretty sight and he had been worried that he might lose an eye. "His eye is a bit bashed in but I was very pleased to hear the doctors say he hadn't got any damage to the lens or the retina and that his sight will be OK," he said.

May, who with Hammond plays a foil to Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, was at his friend's bedside for several hours.

"He tried to sit up when I came in and he gave me a sort of grin, which I have to say was a very uplifting moment for me," he said. "I had a bit of an unmanly moment at that point. I was chuffed to see him and although he's muttering, he seems much like the irritating little shit I know and love. Even when he can't say much, he seemed to make as much sense as he does when he can talk normally."........

BRL
22nd Sep 2006, 08:26
GWS little guy............

LowNSlow
22nd Sep 2006, 09:47
Hope the Hamster makes a full and speedy recovery.

Quote from 8 year old daughter who loves Top Gear while watching Clarkson tooling around in clouds of tyre smoke: "Daddy, they are really lucky they don't hurt themselves". She was very upset when she heard that the Hamster crashed and got so badly injured.

Heard on the radio this morning that not only will the BBC and the HSE mob be investigating but also the Plods. Why? It was on a private runway in a car that has been around for years driven by a guy who wanted to do it. Nobody died so WTF are the Plods sticking their snouts in for?

ORAC
22nd Sep 2006, 10:13
Torygraph: Healthensafety (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/09/22/do2202.xml) :ok:

Gingerbread Man
22nd Sep 2006, 10:44
Cheers for that - good article. The comments at the bottom are a bit polarised though.

It was a testament to the popularity of the man, but also of the programme, which does for the motoring industry what Steve Irwin, the Australian wildlife expert killed by a stingray, did for the saltwater crocodile.

A bit off topic, but I was pleased to see the word 'expert' included here, as most reports about Mr Irwin seemed to omit the fact that he knew what he was doing. Some people just thought he was some guy who went around poking animals.

Ginger

Pan Pan Splash
22nd Sep 2006, 10:49
You can say what you like about the rights and wrongs of what Top Gear do, but when you take a car on a track, then Ayrton Senna's chilling statement springs to mind..

"Motor racing is exciting because it is dangerous, and it must be seen as that. When you have a man and a machine operating on the limit, from time to time things will go wrong.." "... If you drive a race car, you must be prepared to pay the price.."

Every driver knows when you are on a race track or rally stage, all bets are off as far as life expectancy is concerned. FACT.

I for one, think the TG lads provide good entertainment.. some of the older and wiser among our fraternity perhaps should remember that TG is no longer the 100% consumer programme it used to be, a lot of it is just laddish stupidity.. all in the name of entertainment... Gets my vote:ok:

:ouch:

helidecks
22nd Sep 2006, 11:17
Shame - Top bloke.

Update this morning from BBC:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5369512.stm

Speedy recovery mate

Gouabafla
22nd Sep 2006, 11:20
The BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5369512.stm) are reporting that Hamster is making progress. He's been moved out of intensive care which is good news.

patdavies
22nd Sep 2006, 11:36
Bring back Raymond Baxter, I say.

That may be a little difficult.

His obituary was in the Telegraph last week.

Burnt Fishtrousers
22nd Sep 2006, 12:00
TKF

"Would a professional driver have had any more control over events following a blow out at 300 mph?"

Would a professional pilot have had anymore control over events than a mere PPL, if a wing falls off an aircraft? answer NO,...

If a situation arose where a wealth of experience, not to mention being comfortable travelling at such speeds, was to prevail and prevent an accident its better to have the cards stacked in your favour thro a wealth of experience.Thats why PPLs dont fly airliners....geddit

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Sep 2006, 12:05
TKF
"Would a professional driver have had any more control over events following a blow out at 300 mph?"
Would a professional pilot have had anymore control over events than a mere PPL, if a wing falls off an aircraft? answer NO,...
If a situation arose where a wealth of experience, not to mention being comfortable travelling at such speeds, was to prevail and prevent an accident its better to have the cards stacked in your favour thro a wealth of experience.Thats why PPLs dont fly airliners....geddit

My point exactly...I was being rhetorical :ouch:

tKF

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2006, 12:53
Reading Orac's p*st:- http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2865969&postcount=90
brings to mind a long-forgotten event in 1966 when I crashed my Lotus track car whilst driving on the public highway, due to a mechanical suspension failure at high speed. I wasn't wearing a crash-helmet (or any form of seat belt). My forehead 'contacted' the unprotected aluminium wood-rimmed steering wheel. As I regained consciousness the adrenalin kicked-in as I realised that my gorgeous young lady passenger was 'missing'. She had been kneeling on the seat looking backwards at the pursuing members of our impromptu race to I forget where now. I know we'd agreed to meet up at someone's house for coffee after a jolly evening in the local nightclub. The car was clearly a write-off. My lady-friend (a would-be partner) was scattered some yards back on the highway seriously injured having been ejected at the first impact. Members of the following 'convoy' had alerted the staff of the nearby maternity hospital and the emergency services were on the way.
I was conscious, though distressed (this IS going somewhere).
I was severely concussed.
In the following days I became delirious and the bruises (in the form of black eyes etc etc) developed 'impressively'. There was obviously brain damage (at least severe bruising) and for a week or so there was concern about the long-term prognosis.
Given time (and TLC) I recovered to lead a normal life (though some would dispute this :p ).
So the Hamster, (though the speed of HIS event was at least twice that of mine), with excellent (I've no doubt) neurological care (I was at home with occasional visits from the GP - and it WAS forty years ago FFS) stands a fighting chance of an excellent recovery.
My young lady passenger recovered also (though after extensive treatment in hospital) married one of my best friends (I've just recalled that it was HIS house to which we were headed that night) and emigrated with him to Canada. I'd like to say that she lived happily ever after, but they divorced and she took her own life. She said that she had absolutely no memory of events from getting into the car that night until waking up in hospital, and we remained good friends (though obviously not good enough to get together romantically - although on reflection she didn't fancy me, just wanted to ride in the fastest, flashiest car that night, and was probably giving the 'bird' to the guy that she married - I believe he was in an Austin Healey 3000).

Best wishes, Hamster, for a complete recovery . . .

VFE
22nd Sep 2006, 13:41
What have Richard Hammond and Kate Moss got in common?

They both get smashed on Top Gear.

VFE.

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2006, 14:06
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5370394.stm
Driving at up to 300mph, as Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was when he crashed, is more like piloting a jet fighter than handling a car, says Andy Green, holder of the world land speed record.

ShyTorque
22nd Sep 2006, 14:31
G-CPTN, I think the worst symptom of that accident was that awful moustache you developed, although I believe you have now been completely cured by careful surgery with something akin to a Gillette two bladed implement.

;)

Capt.KAOS
22nd Sep 2006, 15:29
For types as Hammond and Clarkson presenting a TV car program ain't enough anymore, they want to be the stars, driving the fast vehicles themselves. Sitting in a 300+ mph jet dragster is highly risky and Hamster should know that. All tears shed are hamster.. oops crocodile tears...:hmm:

green granite
22nd Sep 2006, 15:35
If one puts it in perspective, he is just one of a great number of people to come to grief doing things that need not to have been done, but have done them because they were there to be done. Land speed, waterspeed, airspeed records that didn't need to be broken but were attempted because they were there to be broken. Man is a competitive animal, if he sees a challenge he will attemp to meet it, and long may it be so. Hope he fully recovers, and the huggy fluffs are ignored. The only way to be an expert in something like that is to do it.

chevvron
22nd Sep 2006, 19:29
Why all this fuss? Various dragsters haved crashed at Santa Pod over the years and they never made headlines, even when there was serious injury.
He should have known the risks; you have to wonder how much experience he actually had; I used to drag race a 250cc kart; not much you might say but 0 - 60 in 2 secs then tunnel vision as your arse is so close to the ground made it VERY exhilarating!

LGS6753
22nd Sep 2006, 19:34
Just hope the boy makes a full recovery.

ShyTorque
22nd Sep 2006, 19:34
I thought hamsters were supposed to roll around the floor in a ball?

Sorry, Richard, get well soon.

colmac747
22nd Sep 2006, 21:17
I'm sorry for anyone who has been hurt, but when you get on the BBC News headlines:

Item 1) Richard Hammond injured in self-inflicted car crash
Item 2) 200,000 innocent civilians massacred so far in Darfur,

I do think we have maybe got things just a little out of proportion

Monkey Boy
22nd Sep 2006, 21:46
Regardless of your opinions about him its hearterning see his condition is improving, and I wish him a full recovery and my thoughts are with his wife and family too.

Another forum, PetrolHeads have sent up a web page where they wanted to raise £400 for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance charity that air lifted him to hospital. Its currently standing at over £51k, which is remarkable! The amount raised will now be split amongst all the Air Ambulance charities in the UK, which is commendable.

http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond

:D

Papa Charlie
22nd Sep 2006, 21:56
Keep in there Hampster. :)

ORAC
23rd Sep 2006, 06:08
The moment that Richard Hammond opened his eyes, spoke and took the first steps since his 300mph car crash was described by his Top Gear co-presenter Jeremy Clarkson last night.

“In the wee small hours [late on Thursday night] Richard Hammond suddenly sat up in bed, opened his eyes and asked what had happened,” Clarkson said. He had replied: “You’ve been in a car accident.” Hammond asked whether he had been driving stupidly “before getting out of bed and walking, shakily, to the lavatory”....

If he can do that it looks like a good sign. :ok:

However. You have someone in an intensive care bed and he can just wake up, get out of bed, and wander off to the toilet? No drip, no catheter, no wires to ECG, EEG, heart monitor? :confused:

ps. "30 hours after what is almost certainly the world's fastest ever car crash", so he did set a record.... :)

Rollingthunder
23rd Sep 2006, 06:12
He has been removed from intensive care according to the latest reports. I hate bed pans but have never used one.

Lon More
23rd Sep 2006, 10:59
However. You have someone in an intensive care bed and he can just wake up, get out of bed, and wander off to the toilet? No drip, no catheter, no wires to ECG, EEG, heart monitor?

It's called "journalistic licence"

Dr Jekyll
23rd Sep 2006, 11:40
Save Top Gear petition here.

www.petitiononline.com/tg100/petition.html

MadsDad
23rd Sep 2006, 13:16
ORAC, 30 hours after what is almost certainly the world's fastest ever car crash", so he did set a record....
Sorry, but Hammond wasn't even close. Art Arfons crashed the Green Monster, in 1966, on the Salt Flats in Utah trying for the world record:-

'The car became airborne atleast twice and skidded for long distances on it's right side, finally settled on it's belly, almost one mile past the traps, some 100 yards off course. Parts of the car were strewn all over the Flats. Huge chunks were torn out of the salt, some as deep as 12 inches. The left cockpit was splattered with blood, the instrument panel smashed. Arfons was pinned in the wreckage for five minutes before rescuers could free him. "I'm alright," he said. "Take your time getting me out of here." He was placed on a stretcher' and flown in a private plane to Salt Lake City.
Arfons' eyes were covered with gauze, the skin around his eyes and cheekbones raw from salt burns from flying glass. His body ached, but miraculously he suffered no broken bones.
Although under sedation, he talked about his 610 MPH crash'.

For full story http://www.thrustssc.com/thrustssc/Club/Secure/Art_Arfons.html

And a speedy recovery to Mt. Hammond.

ORAC
23rd Sep 2006, 16:10
Well a UK record... :)

Lon More
23rd Sep 2006, 16:40
BBC just reported he's been moved to a general ward.
Clarkson reported as stating accident was caused by a burst tyre

Polikarpov
23rd Sep 2006, 16:54
Indeed, he mentioned that in an article today. If you weren't particularly excited about the idea of a petition, above, and didn't click on the link, you missed another link to said article in the Sun.

For the Sun, it's quite long and contains a lot of words, Jezza talks about the incident, the Hamster, and the future of Topgear (here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440317,00.html)).

Two years ago, Richard Hammond, James May and I agreed on a plan of action should one of us be killed while making our show, Top Gear.

We decided that after the announcement of the death was made in the following week’s show, the next word should be “anyway”.

So if the Hamster had ever careered through the Pearly Gates in a flaming 200mph fireball, I would put on a sombre face, say that Richard Hammond had died and then, after a small pause, say: “Anyway, the new Jag . . .”

It was a sort of joke. But then this week, it sort of wasn’t.

Paracab
23rd Sep 2006, 17:08
[QUOTE]Another forum, PetrolHeads have sent up a web page where they wanted to raise £400 for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance charity that air lifted him to hospital. Its currently standing at over £51k, which is remarkable! The amount raised will now be split amongst all the Air Ambulance charities in the UK, which is commendable.[QUOTE]

Nice to hear of this happy coincidence, at least some good has come out of the hamsters mishap. Lets hope that figure keeps increasing as air ambulance ops in the UK cost about £100k per unit per month to run.

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2006, 17:53
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13543787,00.html?f=dta
Clarkson, a columnist for The Sun, said in the newspaper: "In the wee small hours of Thursday night, just 30 hours after what is almost certainly the world's fastest ever car crash, Richard Hammond suddenly sat up in bed opened his eyes and asked what had happened."

Early reports based on an analysis that Hammond had suffered brain injury have now been withdrawn following viewing of Top Gear by the neurological team. "The guy was a F:mad:KING idiot BEFORE the crash as far as we can tell . . . "

G-CPTN
23rd Sep 2006, 21:42
Why is it that (the BBC) folk universally refer to Hammond's mishap as a 'crash', whereas the same folk universally call road crashes 'accidents'?
On the evidence released so far, it seems FAR more likely that Hammond's 'crash' was an accident, whereas daily road 'accidents' are more likely to NOT be accidents, but crashes! :ugh:
Funny old World . . .

tinpis
24th Sep 2006, 03:21
I for one like the show
Missus tin who is a motor-careless person enjoys it as well
Driving old Rollers into swimming pools is a good idea:ok:

ORAC
24th Sep 2006, 05:23
The Times: Road safety minister backs Top Gear daredevils

THE road safety minister has defended the high-octane stunts performed on the BBC’s Top Gear programme and described the presenter Richard Hammond as an “adventurer” after he was seriously injured in a 300mph crash.

Some critics of the show have accused it of glamorising speed, encouraging “yobbish” driving and promoting gas-guzzling vehicles. However, Stephen Ladyman said he was “distressed” that some people were using Hammond’s crash in a jet-powered car as “an excuse to knock the programme”.

Speaking as the BBC announced that the next series of the programme had been postponed following the crash, he said: “Richard is an adult and he chose to drive that test. If there’s a land speed record someone will want to break it. He clearly is an adventurer and he was doing something that he wanted to do and enjoyed doing. I think it would be really sad if a real tragedy like this one was used to attack an entertainment.”

Hobo
24th Sep 2006, 05:56
Hope he recovers OK.

This may have been covered but has anyone seen footage of the crash on TV?
They must have been filming it from several angles.

The media were happy to show over and over again the aircraft crashing into the twin towers and people jumping from the windows to their deaths. Totally tasteless, and if I had known anybody involved, I would have found the coverage even more upsetting.

So I would have thought that as Hammond's crash was the headline item on the news, and no one was killed, it would have included footage.

ORAC
24th Sep 2006, 06:46
'We won't do Top Gear without him' (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1879669,00.html) Good article. :ok:

Clarkson: SOS (Save Our Show) (http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1726065.ece)

Lon More
24th Sep 2006, 10:37
They must have been filming it from several angles

Undoubtedly, but think what the viewing ratings are going to be when they show it on Top Gear next season. Probably enough reason to ensure the series' continued survival

chevvron
24th Sep 2006, 15:50
Art Arfons Green Monster was thrust powered like Vampire; the fastest wheel driven crash must have been Donald Campbell also at Utah; he subsequently did over 400mph in Australia; not sure if that's been beaten for wheel driven cars; think it was in about 1970 by an american.

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2006, 16:00
The Yorkshire Air Ambulance Appeal was overwhelmed by the response and announced that they would share their bounty with air ambulances nationwide, however Hammie's family has reacted against this. YAA have now re-aligned their appeal towards financing an additional aircraft.
Meanwhile (and this is NOT a bitch against YAA) regional Air Ambulances struggle to find finance to maintain their service. Northern England recently had to ground one aircraft and 'spread' the cover between adjacent area services.
So by all means contribute to YAA and help them achieve their additional aircraft, but don't overlook less-fortunate services.
In rural areas, an air ambulance often DOES mean the difference between life and death, but the government won't finance them directly. On the contrary, they are slimming-down the ground-based road ambulance cover!
http://www.justgiving.com/phrichardhammond

MadsDad
24th Sep 2006, 19:08
Chevvron, Campbell got 403.1 mph in 1983. The 'American wheel driven' record that you may be thinking of was set by the Summers brothers (Bob driving) in 1965 record at 409.277mph. This was finally beaten in2001 by Don Vesco (also American), with 458.440 MPH.

The highest speed crash that I have read about was Craig Breedlove in Spirit of America in 1996, at 675 mph (the car turned sharp right - sounds similar to Hammonds accident).

(The one I was looking for was a much earlier one that I remembered. As I recall sometime in the 60s the brakes on Breedloves' car failed at, from memory, about 550 mph - the car overran the end of the track (Bonneville flats again) by about 10 miles and ended up bouncing through a ditch and hitting a telegraph pole).

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2006, 20:05
the brakes on Breedloves' car failed at, from memory, about 550 mph - the car overran the end of the track (Bonneville flats again) by about 10 miles and ended up bouncing through a ditch and hitting a telegraph pole).
Yup! Sounds like the brakes were probably suspect . . .
TEN fecking MILES!

sidtheesexist
24th Sep 2006, 23:26
OneWorld22 - great initial post - I actually quite like the retiring Mr Clarkeson
but gee I peed my pants! KnC - I'm with you all the way in terms of sympathy from one person for another's predicament.
HOWEVER (dons full body armour), judging by the amount of publicity and the public outpouring of grief/concern one might think that Mr hammond had been injured whilst single-handedly storming Bin Laden's hideout or undertaking some other noble cause which would improve the lives of millions!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: What a :mad: pile of :mad: sh1te!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topgear used to be a great programme..................In keeping with today's vogue, the programme is now all about IMAGE with naff all SUBSTANCE!

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2006, 23:32
one might think that Mr hammond had been injured whilst single-handedly storming Bin Laden's hideout or undertaking some other noble cause which would improve the lives of millions!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: What a :mad: pile of :mad: sh1te!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meanwhile, how many motorists and their passengers have perished since the Top Gear event?

sidtheesexist
25th Sep 2006, 08:34
G-CPTN - your point being????????? Oh I get it - hammond's high speed run was all to do with improving road sfety on UK roads?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Mr Lexx
25th Sep 2006, 08:47
Orac, neither of your links seem to be working. Shame as I wanted to read them!

ORAC
25th Sep 2006, 09:29
Both work fine for me. Have your tried right clicking, properties, copying the link and pasting it into your browser bar? :confused:

nosefirsteverytime
25th Sep 2006, 10:49
Well, I think Mr. Hammond definitely holds the record for the Fastest Crash on British Soil.

Not one you'd want, mind, but still...

get well soon Hamster!

woolyalan
25th Sep 2006, 10:56
Hasn't he inadvertantly broke/set the world record for fastest survived (car)crash?

panda-k-bear
25th Sep 2006, 11:24
wool, just take a look back over the last two pages and you'll see that this has already been debated and disproved quite a few times.

It's good in one way that the Yorkshire Air Ambulance is profiting (it's a shame that this is what it takes for people to contribute) but I'd much rather gove a wad to, say, Lincolshire to keep their bird flying (which they've struggled with) than give a wad to YAA to buy a second one.

ORAC
26th Sep 2006, 10:42
26th Sep: Top Gear star begs BBC to show 280mph car crash

With Top Gear facing the axe, injured presenter Richard Hammond has begged the BBC to show the 280mph car crash that almost killed him. In a bid to save the motoring show, the 36-year-old is also prepared to appear on television live from his hospital bed as BBC bosses have said they will only screen the new series if Hammond is well enough to appear on it.

Hammond, who suffered a serious brain injury after his jet-powered dragster crashed, is desperate to get in front of a camera as he is worried the programme will be cancelled before he has had a chance to recover from his injuries.

A friend of the presenter, told the Daily Star: "Richard could not stand to feel he was to blame for the demise of the show he loves. He's fuming they've postponed the next series because he fears that's the first step towards the BBC pulling the plug permanently".

"He's terrified they're going to axe it while he's stuck in hospital. He'll do anything to keep Top Gear going, even if it means broadcasting from his hospital bed"..........

woolyalan
26th Sep 2006, 10:49
Woohoo, get in there Hammond, lets hope it works :)

Panda
So it has, sorry :)

under_exposed
26th Sep 2006, 11:40
Just in case it does not work remember to go to this link http://www.petitiononline.com/tg100/petition.html

VFE
26th Sep 2006, 14:13
Cannot understand why they would refuse to show the accident - I mean Ayrton Senna's last crash is fair game and he was cleaned up for god sake!

Mincey muggy BBC execs - always been a limp wristed poncy bunch at the best of times.

VFE.

ORAC
27th Sep 2006, 07:29
You have to like a good headline.....

Freddie Starr yesterday pledged a donation to the air ambulance service after they rescued Hammond. Cue various headlines such as "Starr Donates to hammond helicopter Appeal" etc. The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440750,00.html)however....

Freddie Starr aids my Hamster :} :}

Wipeout
27th Sep 2006, 13:28
Is this the 'Videogames make people kill other people' arguement in a different guise?? Surely watching some middle-aged blokes wheel-spinning on a runway isn't going to make a juvenile delinquent think 'I know, I'll go and steal a car, go joyriding and hopefully go and cause death by dangerous driving'?
By banning TopGear they'd be distracting decision makers from the real reasons that make people drive dangerously - which in any case is surely mostly a question of driver attitude. If Top Gear gets banned, they'd just sit back and think 'problem solved'. :ugh: :rolleyes:

lynchburglemonade
27th Sep 2006, 13:53
By banning TopGear they'd be distracting decision makers from the real reasons that make people drive dangerously - which in any case is surely mostly a question of driver attitudeNot just attitude, drivers ability too.

Britain should adopt a more stringent way of enforcing the driving instruction. Too many "jack the lads" on the roads who once passing that test become complete morons on the road.

The Hustler
27th Sep 2006, 16:04
Maybe they don't want to show the crash incase some impressionable yoofs try and recreate it with their own jet powered dragsters . . .

Might as well stop showing bike racing too - after all, a racer died at a British circuit a couple of weeks ago. Lets face it - we see a lot of people riding like maniacs on their bikes. It must be the TVs fault. They just want to nip this in the bud.

If they don't show Hammond's crash, I can pretty much guarantee there will be no copy-cat attempts.

F:mad:g killjoys :=

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 16:10
I'm please to read that Richard's recovery is making excellent progress, and, it appears, that he may make a COMPLETE recovery.

I was severely concussed.
In the following days I became delirious and the bruises (in the form of black eyes etc etc) developed 'impressively'. There was obviously brain damage (at least severe bruising) and for a week or so there was concern about the long-term prognosis.
Given time (and TLC) I recovered to lead a normal life (though some would dispute this :p ).
So the Hamster, (though the speed of HIS event was at least twice that of mine), with excellent (I've no doubt) neurological care (I was at home with occasional visits from the GP - and it WAS forty years ago FFS) stands a fighting chance of an excellent recovery.

Krystal n chips
27th Sep 2006, 16:53
I watched the lunch time news ( rare treat for me ) and the article on the YAA. Now, all credit to them and all the other AA's in the UK for that matter :ok: --but I wondered why it seems to take an incident like this ie one that involves a TV celebrity to make people part with ££'s in support of said AA when they lift countless numbers of other people every day.

I have to say, this is quite a sad, but not unexpected, illustration of the values and perceptions of what we loosely call ---"society".

I actually feel that all the emergency services ( this includes for example the lifeboat crews and Mountain and Cave Rescue teams ) should be publicly funded--but this is unlikely of course.

What I do find interesting, as posted here, is that his family have objected to the money being distributed to other AA's. Sure, it was the YAA that lifted him out---because the incident happened in Yorkshire, but surely they must be aware of how hard pressed other AA's are and could see the benefit of them all gaining. Or am I missing something here as usual ?.

Vee One...Rotate
27th Sep 2006, 17:56
Krystal n chips,

I'd venture that an incident like this, which was so widely reported (including the details of the helicopter jolly), simply reminds the public of the value of such services as the AA, hence the donations. Not our sense of society crumbling around us - all the people can't be aware of everything, all of the time! Simple as that.

A practical reason for the family not wishing to spread the money all around might be that they think it will do more good as a lump sum to improve this particular AA markedly as opposed to financing an extra helmet/stretcher for a number of AAs. Or maybe this AA is particularly strapped for cash. Who knows...

My 2p.

Get well soon Mr. Hammond - hope to see you back to full fitness and on our screens ASAP :ok:

V1R

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2006, 18:10
Or maybe this AA is particularly strapped for cash. Who knows...
ALL AAs rely on public subscription. The service which they can provide depends upon this income. More income, more service. Less income, reduced (or truncated) service.
Yorkshire is a large County. Whilst ALL AAs could benefit from a share of the monies, once it became obvious HOW much the YAA appeal was attracting, the possible emphasis changed from 'extra fuel and pilots' hours' to funding an additional aircraft, thus spreading the load. I don't know whether the intention will be to establish a second base.
I know nothing about the state of southern AAs, but Northern England (Durham, Northumberland and Cumbria) have recently had to pool resources (despite having extensive rural areas to cover).

History:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4303713.stm

BellEndBob
28th Sep 2006, 09:03
We had a chap from the Great North Air Ambulance knocking on the door the other night. They are worried that the general public may see the donations made in Yorkshire as a nation wide solution to the funding problem. I donate monthly by direct debit because the service is fantastic.
I too think it is sad that the injury of a celebrity brings this response when the deaths of over 3000 people every on the roads year only merits a line in the long list of statistics. I also think that some of the childish stunts carried out by these people on this programme are 'unhelpful' in promoting a sensible approach to motoring.
When a major selling point on a car is it's ability to smash through the speed limit and beyond in only a few seconds then I think it is time to take stock.
I hope this chap gets well soon and makes a full recovery.

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2006, 10:06
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1235423,00.html?f=dta
Richard Hammond has left Leeds Royal Infirmary for another hospital closer to his home.

Mr Lexx
28th Sep 2006, 10:19
Wonderful. he looks well!

Curious Pax
28th Sep 2006, 10:48
Firemen? What's that all about?

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2006, 10:53
Publicity.

'Why' Air Ambulance? He's not in a life-threatening condition.
OK, his 'event' has resulted in SIGNIFICANT funding for the YAA, but this is squandering precious resources (albeit in support of futher publicity). What happens if they get a genuine shout whilst en-route to CHELTENHAM (a fair trek from Leeds)? :ugh:

lynchburglemonade
28th Sep 2006, 10:57
Well to be perfectly honest it would just be nice to see him back up on his feet and infront of the camera again. He is still one of my favourites on Top Gear.

paulc
28th Sep 2006, 12:08
G-CPTN,

Hampshire is one of only 2 counties that do not currently have an air ambulence - we have to rely on other counties generosity if one is needed.

All English AA's get no money from govt (paramedic is from NHS though) yet those in Scotland / Wales are funded by central govt because it is deemed the infrastructure is not sufficient to allow for a rapid road evacuation of a casualty if needed.

Most european AA get full funding from respective govts.

jimgriff
28th Sep 2006, 12:17
The Welsh Air Ambulance is 100% dependant on charitable donations and does not get a single penny from Government.

Richard Hammond left hospital this morning!:ok:

VFE
28th Sep 2006, 13:31
Publicity.
OK, his 'event' has resulted in SIGNIFICANT funding for the YAA, but this is squandering precious resources (albeit in support of futher publicity). What happens if they get a genuine shout whilst en-route to CHELTENHAM (a fair trek from Leeds)? :ugh:
Prat.

VFE.

Aeronut
28th Sep 2006, 13:48
26th Sep: Top Gear star begs BBC to show 280mph car crash
With Top Gear facing the axe, .......................
A friend of the presenter, told the Daily Star: "Richard could not stand to feel he was to blame for the demise of the show he loves. He's fuming they've postponed the next series because he fears that's the first step towards the BBC pulling the plug permanently".
"He's terrified they're going to axe it while he's stuck in hospital. He'll do anything to keep Top Gear going, even if it means broadcasting from his hospital bed"..........

If the Beeb pull the plug on Top Gear, it will just decant to Channel 5's Fifth Gear, (like all the old Top Gear presenters) and we'll all watch it there instead. BBC will lose out terrifically.

Get it back on TV, lets see JC commentating on the crash!

Krystal n chips
28th Sep 2006, 15:01
Get it back on TV, lets see JC commentating on the crash!

Better still, lets see JC and others commentating on the work of the AA's to bring them to the public's attention----that's all the AA's not just the YAA of course.

As for flying Hammond to Bristol--I think ?---surely a bit of an own goal in respect of negating the stated requirement for a second helo--good PR yes, but any beancounter would surely see this a mana from heaven concerning the requirements for another--eg, if it can be spared to head south and back.........

Pan Pan Splash
28th Sep 2006, 15:04
I heard he had been taken taken there because Elton John has just been admitted with similar injuries to Hammond.. i.e. Skidmarks on his helmet!!!:} :} :O :O

pulse1
28th Sep 2006, 15:07
As for flying Hammond to Bristol

The impression I got from the BBC news was that the air ambulance took Hammond to the local airport and he was flown from there to Bristol in "his personal jet". They actually showed him walking from what looked like a Citation into a road ambulance.

VFE
28th Sep 2006, 15:23
The impression I got from the BBC news was that the air ambulance took Hammond to the local airport and he was flown from there to Bristol in "his personal jet". They actually showed him walking from what looked like a Citation into a road ambulance.
Hello G-CPTN! http://www.burninguptime.com/Forums/images/smiles/039.gif

VFE.

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2006, 15:42
Are you Claire Voyant, or did you wait until further information was available?

colmac747
28th Sep 2006, 21:05
God, approx a week on this "episode" is still ongoing..
Is it seriously newsworthy now?
And while i'm at it, it's all very well raising thousands for a new Air Ambulance (due to some complete tosser taking his life into his own hands, disregarding he had a young family at home - i'll bet the chaps at RNLI [who equally do brave tasks] are spewing at the hype of it all)

Oh, and they are a voluntary service too:D

:yuk:

mcgoo
28th Sep 2006, 21:16
(due to some complete tosser taking his life into his own hands, disregarding he had a young family at home - i'll bet the chaps at RNLI [who equally do brave tasks] are spewing at the hype of it all)
:yuk:

So does that make all drivers, pilots, astronauts etc tossers?

colmac747
28th Sep 2006, 21:26
Not really, just Mr Hammond

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2006, 22:03
The Great North Air Ambulance are now concerned that their funding will fall, because folks have heard of the 'fortune' that has gone towards the YAA. Folk don't realise that each region is on their own.

VFE
28th Sep 2006, 23:13
Not really, just Mr Hammond
Nowt like a good dose of good ole green eyed envy eh Colmac? ;)

VFE.

sidtheesexist
28th Sep 2006, 23:38
Seem to be two definite camps forming - I know which one I'm in - overpaid, talentless, cuddly little t:mad: t - totally undeserving of all the RESOURCES and attention lavished upon him as a consequence of a f:mad: g meaningless stunt!!!!!!!! IMAGE is everything SUBSTANCE means nothing :yuk:

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 00:22
But he's a (TV) PERSONALITY!
Nowadays, you only have to be Jade Goody to become a 'personality' (ie you don't NEED a personality) for folks to want to pay you millions to reveal every little unimportant facet of your life. Tabloids and rag-mags will be fighting over the rights to publish details of his personal life (including girls he [email protected] before he met his wife).The there's the inevitable biography "How I thwarted death - thanks to Yorkshire's Air Ambulance!" Subtitled "They did it for me - they could do it for YOU!"
He'll probably get a decoration (MBE) for services to Paramedic Aviation.

Blacksheep
29th Sep 2006, 02:39
What about the car? Will they be able to get it going again?

ORAC
29th Sep 2006, 05:47
The Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-2379919,00.html): Richard Hammond took his first public steps yesterday as his surgeon predicted that he would make a full recovery and could be back to his old self within six months.....

Stuart Ross, a consultant neurosurgeon at the Leeds hospital, said that Hammond was doing well, but reiterated that he had suffered a “significant brain injury”. He declined to give details of the injury or his treatment, but said: “He has made a very good recovery and I’m more than pleased that he has done well. There comes a period now, which is unfortunately slow and is difficult to get through. “He has to rest and allow his brain to recover and that takes time. I’m sure that once that period is over, he will be back to his old self.” Asked when that might be, he said: “In about six months’ time.”...

The surgeon was optimistic that the presenter would make a full recovery. “There’s always something in brain injuries that makes you remember you have had an accident. But in terms of what he does, what he’s able to do, I’m sure he will be fine.”

cessna l plate
29th Sep 2006, 07:24
OK, so the guy took part in a meaningless stunt to try and lift the ratings a bit?

That said, there is something within the man that makes him want to take the risk and push the boundaries. Do you think that there were 5 blokes with water buckets standing by when man first invented fire? or was a risk assessment carried out before neolithic man stepped out of his cave?

Society is obbsessed by a desire to remove all risk taking in life and wrap us all in cotton wool. I am not saying we should be grateful to Richard Hammond in particular, as he is hardly a pioneer, but we should recognise that there are people like him out there, who will push the boundaries to see what happens to allow us to move forwards and evolve further as the human race.

I am sure the Wright brothers didn't carry out a risk assessment, they got on and did it, and if they hadn't, because someone with a clipboard said "that is too dangerous" then none of us would be on this web site now, it wouldn't exist and it would still take 2 weeks to cross the Atlantic! Think about it

woolyalan
29th Sep 2006, 07:50
colmac does have a point... sorta...

The Air Amublance crew are just doing their jobs, SIMILAR things happen every day that are in need of its services.
Someone who 'work' for the RNLI is providing a free service and dont get paid for it as many are voulenteers with other full time occupations, which to me is much more worthy of hype and people charity as the people who need them REALLY DO need them, as there is nobody else to do it.

At least people in need of the AA could be stuck on a van instead.

-------------------

I am in no way saying that the AA is a bad thing and not worthy of charitable donations or publicity, just that it has no gone beyond silly. The crew do excellent work, but again tis an excessive amount of worshiping going on

sidtheesexist
29th Sep 2006, 10:50
Sorry Cessna l plate - have to respond!

"Society is obsessed by a desire to remove all risk taking in life and wrap us all in cotton wool'' I couldn't agree more - we live in a PC nanny state where legislation is so pervasive that it's almost an offence/a life threatening situation, to get up in the morning! So, I'm with you 100% there........

However, how you think his meaningless stunt will help us to ''....move forwards and evolve as a human race'' is rather lost on me my friend. With the greatest of respect, what was he doing that hasn't been done(in one form or another) many times before? and what tangible benefits have such 'stunts' brought us, the human(debatable point) race???? :confused:

cessna l plate
29th Sep 2006, 12:22
I didn't say that he was at the leading edge of moving the human race forwards. Indeed, I did say that he cannot be called a pioneer. What I am saying is that people LIKE him we need to move forwards as a race. People who are prepared to take the risk in the first place. A bit like the guy that stalls a new design of plane for the first time, not knowing how it will react, so that ultimately by the time it filters down to my level I can predict what will happen!

Flaxton Flyer
29th Sep 2006, 12:35
Are you Claire Voyant, or did you wait until further information was available?

Whereas you just jumped in with both feet before you knew anything. Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups, mein kapitan :=

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 23:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5392296.stm
In high speed crashes, the passenger's body goes from travelling extremely fast to a sudden halt. The body and head are thrown forwards and back, and the brain follows, striking the bony skull.
"We can assume that most of the damage was to the white matter - the communication wires of the brain. Doctors call this diffuse axonal injury.
The big challenges aren't so much walking and talking, but losing quickness and mental flexibility.
"These take a beating in these high-speed accidents when the brain is decelerating. The brain is stretched and these communication fibres break up and the cells die off.
He said structures at the front of the brain would be bruised and damaged, where the brain hits the uneven inner surface of the skull above the eyes.
"The brain is soft and gelatinous - its consistency is something between jelly and cooked pasta.
"It is well designed to sustain a direct blow but our genes never imagined we would be travelling at these super-high speeds."
He said that high speed motor vehicle accidents were particularly dangerous because the brain could suffer injuries when the head rotates during the crash.

ormus55
29th Sep 2006, 23:19
Publicity.

i quite agree, he looked like walking wounded to me. and the bbc said the chopper went all the way to bristol.

i hope they take me 200 miles home if i ever have an accident in say, london.

mocoman
29th Sep 2006, 23:19
I read that story as well G-TN....:(

and also saw some of the pictures that the red-tops ran yesterday....

Our man isn't out of the woods yet by a long shot...:sad:

Rollingthunder
29th Sep 2006, 23:44
I think it's a bit ridiculous to rely on private donations for air ambulance services. Road ambulances are funded publically. Are not air ambulances as important?

Here we have the BC Air Ambulance Service funded by the province. This system works well. Once arranged to have a friend flown 1500 miles home in one of their Lears after a very serious road accident - after he was stable.

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2006, 23:53
Hamster grounds airplane:-
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/29/hamster.plane.ap/index.html

ORAC
30th Sep 2006, 07:42
and the bbc said the chopper went all the way to bristol. Then the BBC were wrong.

....."The air ambulance airlifted a smiling Mr Hammond, known affectionately as Hamster by his Top Gear co-presenter Jeremy Clarkson, to Leeds Bradford Airport, where he boarded a waiting plane. Martin Eede, Yorkshire Air Ambulance chief executive, said: "The crew were doing a routine training flight to Leeds General Infirmary and it coincided with a need for him to be taken to Leeds Bradford Airport."

He was then taken by chartered aircraft and ambulance to a private BUPA hospital.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your indignation........ :hmm:

--------------------------------------------------

The Sun: TOP Gear star Richard Hammond suffered NO spinal injuries in his 300mph horror smash, doctors said yesterday. Medical sources said it was a “miracle” after scans showed Richard’s spine was untouched when he crashed a jet-powered dragster.

They said serious injury to the TV presenter, 36, was limited to the frontal lobe of his brain controlling motion and feeling. But the pint-sized star — dubbed Hamster — is expected to make a full recovery after a blood clot was drained through a hole drilled in his skull. Medics were last night still monitoring him for any signs of a new clot and memory loss.

A source said: “For Richard to escape with no spinal injury is nothing short of a miracle."

Hammond's next six months unclear (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5392296.stm?ls)

Coconutty
30th Sep 2006, 08:58
I hate to join the Spell checking brigade but couldn't resist :

.... controlling motion and feeling.

That'll slow him down a bit then ? :oh:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

G-WHOT
30th Sep 2006, 09:00
Am I right in thinking that after any accident involving a head injury that DVLA take away your driving licsence(as do the CAA) until it can be proved that you have not developed epilepsy as a result of the injury. So the talk of at least 6 months recovery is probably fair as Richard will not be able to drive on the public roads for some time.
Don't take this as negative - I want to see Top Gear back on air and also see the Hamster back in action both in the car reviews and the amusing bits!!:D

ORAC
30th Sep 2006, 09:30
Am I right in thinking that after any accident involving a head injury that DVLA take away your driving licsence(as do the CAA) until it can be proved that you have not developed epilepsy as a result of the injury. No.

Driving licences are suspended for one year, but only after a seizure, and I have seen no report of any seizure. Even then, such an accident would probably be considered as being in exceptional circumstances (http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/PAGES/info/leaflets/driving.cfm).

"A seizure may be provoked by a situation that will not happen again - an ‘exceptional circumstance' - such as a seizure that occurs immediately at the time of a head injury. Driving may be allowed if the cause can be clearly found, and either treated or removed, and as long as there is no risk of seizures continuing."

ORAC
6th Oct 2006, 13:41
LONDON - The BBC is considering filming a documentary about the 300mph crash that nearly killed 'Top Gear' presenter Richard Hammond.

It is understood that plans to screen a one-off special, detailing the build-up to the crash and what went wrong are in the pipeline and it is hoped that Hammond himself, who has amazed doctors with his progress following the crash, will also take part.

Officially, the BBC is denying it is considering producing the documentary, with a spokeswoman saying: "The crash was only two weeks ago. Filming a documentary on it is the last thing on our minds." However, a BBC source confirmed that the documentary could be filmed, as long as "Richard was up for it".

If the programme gets the go-ahead, it is set to be screened early next year to coincide with the new series of 'Top Gear'. Filming for the show resumed this week, after a decision was taken not to axe it despite protests from road safety groups. :ok:

Filming this week has included a segment involving presenter Jeremy Clarkson test-driving a 150mph Lotus Europa.

G-CPTN
6th Oct 2006, 17:07
presenter Jeremy Clarkson test-driving a 150mph Lotus Europa.
PAH! I blow my nose at you! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a Ha ha ham . . . :E

BRL
6th Oct 2006, 19:30
The Video. (http://www.dragstercrash.com/)

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger............

effortless
6th Oct 2006, 19:41
You evil fecker! I've swallowed me false teeth now.:uhoh:

VFE
6th Oct 2006, 19:44
Good gag! :}

One question for the makers tho: what's a 'Hampster'?

VFE.

Daysleeper
7th Oct 2006, 17:37
Bet that video makes it onto the new series of Top Gear. I can see Clarkson now..

"And another thing We all know that Richard was injured in a high spped crash well here is the footage...."

cue hamster

DX Wombat
7th Oct 2006, 21:50
At least people in need of the AA could be stuck on a van instead.Really? Are you sure of your facts here? If you are so sure that you are right perhaps you would care to explain exactly how one gets "a van" to the top of (in the case of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance) Whernside or Pen Y Ghent or any other remote upland area? As far as I can see you have not the slightest idea of the tasks which the Air Ambulance may be asked to undertake or the circumstances in which they may be required to operate. The crew of the Air ambulance does sterling work often in difficult conditions. I suggest you do some proper research into the subject.

Loose rivets
8th Oct 2006, 02:52
was limited to the frontal lobe of his brain controlling motion and feeling.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Creaser
9th Oct 2006, 12:49
Last week in Ontario a 17 year old girl was killed when her jet car crashed at 300mph, shortly after she deployed the parachute.

A few days ago a Japanese guy was killed near Melbourne when a Jet car he had just bought and was testing crashed... at 300mph.

What will the tabloids say...

Creaser

sidtheesexist
9th Oct 2006, 12:54
Creaser - love it!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Polikarpov
21st Dec 2006, 21:03
Hammond is on the Jonathan Ross show on Friday night, there are some clips of the interview here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6201247.stm) ("watch clips of the interview," top right). Great to see him chatting away like normal; despite all the reassurances in print it's great to actually SEE that he's better!

ORAC
18th Jan 2007, 07:47
The Guardian - Top Gear crash shown

A graphic series of images capturing the moment Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond came close to losing his life show that the 288mph crash was caused by a blown tyre. The pictures, released yesterday, show how the right front tyre of the jet-powered dragster he was driving burst less than a second before it flipped out of control, spinning twice in mid-air before landing upside down.

Hammond, 37, had been attempting to break the British land speed record for the BBC motoring show when the dramatic accident on September 20 at Elvington airfield, South Yorkshire, left him critically injured in hospital. Afterwards he took the advice of doctors, and held off seeing the footage. In the end, he saw it almost by accident at work. "They put a DVD into the laptop and there it was - the crash that had, just a few months earlier, come close to leaving my wife Mindy to raise the kids," he wrote in the Daily Mirror. "I didn't have a terrible reaction to seeing it, but it was very, very strange. After all, if it didn't kill me at the time, it was hardly going to kill me just watching it. But to see the car, the track, and details like the crash helmet that saved my life took my breath away." He has now recovered sufficiently to return to Top Gear.

Releasing the footage upset road safety groups, who said it trivialised the crash. However, the BBC said it had consulted Hammond: "Not showing the incident would have been ignoring the elephant in the room."

Telegraph: .....Film of the crash will be broadcast on Top Gear on BBC2 at 8pm on Sunday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/01/18/ncrash18.jpg

tony draper
18th Jan 2007, 07:56
Hmmm, think how Sadam is gonna feel when he sees his video. :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
18th Jan 2007, 08:19
I'd be interested to know the actual speed rating of those tyres.

acbus1
18th Jan 2007, 08:48
Hmmm, think how Sadam is gonna feel when he sees his video.
He might be pleased to see how well hung he looks.

A career in porn for Mr Sadman?......or would that just be dead boring?

Maybe a job as a noose reader?

Hey ho! Another post ripe for censorship........why do I bother?

Dak Mechanic
18th Jan 2007, 10:28
I heard that Saddam had made some T shirts - They hung well, but were a little tight around the neck. (yeah I know it's probably been on JB before!)

I'll get my coat.

Speed rating of tyres? Probably not up to 300 mph..... Y load rated tyres are good for 300 km/h (185 mph), and ZR for speeds of greater than 240 km/h.

For example 215/50 ZR 15 92Y shows a tyre rated for use at speeds greater than 240 km/h, at a speed no more than 300 km/h, and at a load of no more than 630 kg per tyre (an effective maximum vehicle mass of 2520 kg for a four wheeled vehicle depending on axle loadings).

One would hope that the jet car had specially made tyres....

JC

acbus1
18th Jan 2007, 12:38
I heard that Saddam had made some T shirts
I must've missed those when shopping recently!

Were they on a high rack display?

Two's in
18th Jan 2007, 13:26
Are my eyes playing tricks, or is that a Police Speed trap behind that bush in the background...

acbus1
18th Jan 2007, 15:57
Probably why he crashed.......saw the speed trap, panicked, dumped the parachute and slammed on the brakes!

Good job nobody was following close behind, really.

nosefirsteverytime
18th Jan 2007, 16:30
It appears Youtube are showing footage of the crash itself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3DxRLhe_hI)

ORAC
23rd Jun 2007, 21:41
BBC avoids 'Top Gear' prosecution

The Health and Safety Executive has found insufficient reason to prosecute the BBC over the high speed crash that almost killed Richard Hammond last year.

Its report identified a damaged front tyre as the cause of the incident, which occurred when Hammond was travelling at speeds of up to 300mph at Elvington airfield last September. The tyre was damaged on the penultimate run, though this "was not apparent immediately before the final run commenced".

While the BBC showed shortcomings in "risk assessment and the procurement of services from others", said the HSE, there were in place safety measures that "almost certainly" saved the presenter's life. These were identified as the design of the Vampire car, the safety mechanisms within, and the availability of emergency services.

Hammond said of the report: "I am delighted. It was just an accident. I didn't cause it, neither did the team."

ShyTorque
23rd Jun 2007, 22:33
Something has intrigued me about Hammond's accident - did anyone ever verify the speed ratings on the front tyres? They looked like fairly standard racing tyres from the footage I saw.

The JCB DieselMax record breaking car was deliberately held down to 350 mph last year; the tyres being the limiting factor. They never got into "Top Gear", as it were. If they had, it could quite have possibly gone close to 400 mph. The tyres were changed for each run, obviously not so on "Vampire".

G-CPTN
23rd Jun 2007, 23:39
The tyre was damaged on the penultimate run, though this "was not apparent immediately before the final run commenced".

So a tyre was damaged (on the previous run), but nobody noticed.
As it appeared that it was nobody's job to check the tyres, it's appropriate that nobody has lost their job.

At last! The responsible person has been identified and sanctioned.
Sounds as if lessons have been learned.

gupta
25th Jun 2007, 06:31
So a tyre was damaged (on the previous run), but nobody noticed.
If nobody noticed, how did anyone know when it was damaged - or if it was indeed damaged?
Saints preserve us from the inspectors

Curious Pax
25th Jun 2007, 07:59
Not apparent may mean that only by inspecting the failed tyre in a lab could the damage be seen. The fact that they don't point the finger in regard to tyre inspections would seem to back that up.

Unusually for HSE these days (if you believe everything in the papers ;) ) they seem to have got this one about right. I think some people are confusing the standard legal statement of 'insufficient evidence', which is always used when some things were less than perfect, with an insinuation that HSE think they are guilty as sin, but can't prove it.

They seem to have pointed out a few things that maybe could have been done better, alongside a lot of things that were done well, and lessons are said to have been learned. Just how such an investigation should be (as long as no one has been seriously negligent).

spekesoftly
25th Jun 2007, 08:35
If nobody noticed, how did anyone know when it was damaged - or if it was indeed damaged?The onboard video footage shown on Top Gear did suggest that the OSF tyre looked suspect just before the last run. I seem to recall that during the programme Clarkson teased Hammond for not noticing. Of course it's always easier to spot something after the event, when you know what you're looking for.

WildDart
25th Jun 2007, 09:24
A car that does 300 odd MPH and has a jet engine stuck to the back in my opinion is a death wish. Just sadly happened to hamster, he still doesn't look the same after the crash or act...