PDA

View Full Version : Football bungs, does it REALLY matter?

terryJones
20th Sep 2006, 19:11
SO they have been blethering on about hidden cameras and secretly recorded interviews, but in the long run, does it really matter.
The only problem I have with it is the fact that the guy getting the bung probably didn't pay tax on it, so I might lose out by the odd penny in a thousand indirectly.
It is, after all said and done, only a bloody game.. Unlike Motor racing, where by Joe public indirectly benefits from Tyre construction , fuel formulas, enging performance...NO-ONE benefits reallty from the "Beautiful ??" game, apart from the owners of the grounds who pick up the pennies from the punters.
I suppose there might be a new plastic formula for balls, or a new design of stud for the boot, but I would imagine the market for said 'improved devices' would be quite small.
So, as I said, does it really matter.

skydriller
20th Sep 2006, 19:15
No. :zzz: :zzz:

colmac747
20th Sep 2006, 19:17
http://www.btinternet.com/~chemistry.diagrams/bungs.gif

:8

The Otter's Pocket
20th Sep 2006, 19:48
I saw the programme last night, I must admit that I was pretty miffed.
1. The huge sums that I pay to Sky to watch the national game.
2. We all know that the game is as corrupt as atheltics and horse racing. - Its just a shame it has taken so long to act.
3. I always wondered why Allerdyce didnt get the England Job. - Maybe the FA new what was coming. Especially as one of the FA Board was on the take.

Scrap the FA and get rid of the Cads and Scoundrels, take Sky with them.

tilewood
20th Sep 2006, 20:06
Watch the games, listen to the commentaries and the players, and sum up the management.

Then if your brain hasn't completely atrophied ask yourself why anyone
is remotely surprised that the combination of minute intellects, obscene
amounts of money and overhyped egos produces corruption.

It's like allowing six year olds loose in a sweet shop, then when caught with their sticky fingers in the jar you watch them squirm, and laugh at them as they make up pathetic excuses. :=

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2006, 20:11
I suppose there might be a new plastic formula for balls, or a new design of stud for the boot, but I would imagine the market for said 'improved devices' would be quite small.
Au contraire! Buckyballs (a NEW version of carbon) was derived from the shape of the (then) ball used for Premiership Games (and, no doubt, cascaded-down to other divisions).
http://www.sinia-planeta.com/images/buckyballs.jpg
If the bloke hadn't designed that football we'd have missed-out on a major scientific development.
http://nanopedia.case.edu/NWPage.php?page=buckyballs

SXB
20th Sep 2006, 21:10
TerryJones
Yes, it matters, when you have people like Fat Sam and his mates taking additional money out of the game this comes out of the supporters pockets. Where do you think the money comes from ? It comes from gate money, TV money, kit sales and sponsorship.

Your comments about comparing motor racing (F1 being the most shite 'sport' in the world) and football are inaccurate, football is game played by billions around the globe, it can be played by any group of people with just a ball, some open space and a couple of shirts as goalposts. Motor racing, F1 especially, is an elitest sport where an astronimical amount of money is needed just to get a starting place on the grid. F1 is populated by a large number of complete tossers, especially that anally retentive german w*nker who, thank god, will be retiring soon. No intended offence to Germans though.

After saying that, most professional footballers are also tossers but they've got to the top of their sport by talent, you can't say the same thing about those competing in motor sport.

Spinflight
21st Sep 2006, 00:22
Ban soccer and put the money into Cricket. :ok:

R4+Z
21st Sep 2006, 02:17
It's amazing the differences in slang. The title of this thread takes on completely different connotations in Oz (Quite insulting ones at that).

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 07:51
An unashamed bump here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244546
I watched the prog. I listened to the various excuses afterwards as well. On the surface, guilty as hell. There may of course, be other factors not shown in the programme and hence innocence of those involved----coughs.
What has fascinated me however, is the perception that simply because of whom they are, managers and players, they are held in such high esteem as "celebs" that the public merely go, "oh dear", ----and that's it. Questioning the itegrity of those involved in the game is almost heresy it seems---which I am sure they are only too well aware of and hence feel the business dealings----to use the term loosely---are perfectly acceptable. Which they are not.

I did like the bit in the prog about sanctions and the fact a club can be docked 3points -----oh wow !---that's really severe as a deterrent. :rolleyes: ----how about, getting booted down a couple of leagues and a hefty and serious fine----for starters.

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 08:00
Without having seen it, my great misgiving is that, with their previous examples of entrapment and highly selective editing, the BBC will have done a deliberate hatchet job in another example of trial by television. Especially having read this - 'I smelt a rat from the start...' (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-2367667,00.html)

Impress to inflate
21st Sep 2006, 09:29
There all over paid hairdressers who if they couldn't kick a ball around for 90 mins a week would all have an ASBO. 150,000 a week, my arse. They should limit all there pay like Rugby. Thank god I hate the game. :ugh: :ugh:

Navajo8686
21st Sep 2006, 09:37
So what do I have to do to get a bung?

Sorry - I meant to say "This is disgraceful - I hope somebody stops it before it drags the beautiful game into disrepute"

Strepsils
21st Sep 2006, 11:20
Football bungs, does it REALLY matter

It does if you're a small club who has unearthed a potential star and got him on a long contract with a view to selling him for big money a few years down the line, thus securing the future of your club for years to come.

Then along comes Joe Agent, tells the player than Man Utd or whoever want to buy him, then offers the chief scout a bung to convince the manager to buy the player.

Result? : The player sees the pound signs, kicks up a fuss and wants to leave. The small club reluctantly has to sell far earlier than they hoped, resulting in a much smaller transfer fee, but the agent is happy 'coz he got his cut. Hence the divide between the rich clubs and the poor clubs just keeps on growing.

Agents:mad: Ban the lot of them

ormus55
21st Sep 2006, 12:48
im a BWFC fan and a Sam Alladyce fan.
i would be amazed at big Sam taking any bung and risking all for the sake of a few quid. the rumours are that hes is on about 2 million quid per annum. would you risk that for 50 or a 100 grand?
the whole thing just seems so preposterous.

in days of old when players were on 10 quid a week and the manager got 40 quid, i can well understand the bungs and bribery etc.. as i can down the food chain in the lower divisions.
but a premier club manager involved? just seems crazy.

same as the jockey keiron fallon? why would a highly paid man like him get involved in race fixing? it doesnt make any sense at all.

Parapunter
21st Sep 2006, 12:51
Because Ormuss, people are greedy. And greed respects neither common sense nor discretion.

Football managers in particular know they're only as secure as their last few results, I think Mr Pierce might be finding Manchester a sweaty place to be right now, so a few extra quid? Why not? you could be out on your ear tomorrow.

SXB
21st Sep 2006, 17:49
Ormus55
I really hope Fat Sam is innocent, the job he's done at BW has been outstanding and I fear for the club should he be forced to leave.

I've now seen the Panorama episode in full and as far as I can see they don't seem to have much in the way of hard evidence, the only one I can see who might be in trouble is Kevin Bond. The conversation that Harry Redknapp had with an agent could have been construed in many ways, he was simply discussing a player, certainly there would be many players he might want to 'take' saying so isn't an illegal approach, even in the company of an agent.

As for Sam his biggest problem is the involvement of his son and you'll know better than us about his previous problems. That said you just have a couple of agents saying 'we've bribed Sam' No hard evidence, again. Agents are also not very believable, throw in the fact that we've been watching ,very heavily, edited hidden video footage. I don't think anyone is going to 'jail' , except maybe Kevin Bond.

TBirdFrank
21st Sep 2006, 21:14
There are a couple of contributors to this board who have personal experience of the BBC editorially putting a wholly disproportionate slant on circumstances.

Mr Lexx and I were at the back of a room where the BBC was present to film a public meeting.

They turned to us to ask if we were "security" - because we happened to be wearing identical "Harley" jackets - Loony Tunes Harley jackets from the Warner Brothers store - real hard they were!

The movement continued for a few more days but everyone involved was portrayed almost as an enemy of the people, probably because we are still the only movement that put this government to flight since they came in - and they still show it at every budget.

Perhaps the Beeb thought it would be the licence fee next - wrong lads - it will be the Council Tax.