PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia

squawking 7700
20th Sep 2006, 12:04
A woman at work's daughter has recently started her PPL but she suffers from dyslexia (word dyslexic, not numbers).

What will this mean? do the CAA allow flight with the condition?
can provision be made for the exams?

I'd be particularly interested in any AME'S viewpoint.

She's flying with the school's CFI, he knows about it, hasn't come across it before but see's it as a challenge (to himself as a professional instructor as much as anything).

Willows
20th Sep 2006, 13:11
For PPL this won't be a problem if she's determined enough to finish.

2close
20th Sep 2006, 17:16
That could indeed be very interesting considering that the Disability Discrimination Acts 1995 and 2005 require any service provider, in this case both the FTO and the CAA, to provide any mandatory material, i.e. the examination papers, in an alternative format.

Prior to the 2005 Act, qualifying bodies had an exemption under the DDA but that has now been taken away and they are as liable as all other service providers for the provision of the service by reasonable alternative methods. Failure to do so is discrimination but suing for discrimination is not the objective in this case and it sounds as though the CFI is taking this matter on personally so I would think that there is willingness to succeed on his part.

The format of the examination would have to be of a nature understandable by the candidate. In this case (and I will make the assumption that her dyslexia is severe enough that she would not be able to read the examination questions) I would suggest that a reasonable alternative would be an audible form of examination, whether the questions be on audio-tape or read for her.

As you can see, this is not exactly rocket science and it only takes a small amount of willingness on the part of the examining body. That's where it may become interesting as far as the CAA goes - not sure if they would be able to unscramble the red tape quickly so I would approach this subject sooner rather than leave it to the week before she wants to take the first exam.

It may be that the CAA does not need to be involved. If the FTO believes they can make adequate provison to accommodate the student's disability so that the examination is conducted in a fair manner why involve the regulator at all?

But if they do need to be involved be proactive. Don't give the CAA a problem and ask them to solve it. Present them with the situation with a workable solution. I'm only brainstorming here but I would suggest that a suggestion is made to the CAA that provison is made for an examiner to be present to read her the questions and the optional answers, as well as any other documents such as weather reports, etc., together with an independent invigilator, if necessary.

Contact one of the local schools that has provision for setting examinations for disabled students. They will undoubtedly have the answers as they will have done this many times over.

An old friend of mine had severe dyslexia and the university she went to study at provided her with a computer with text to speech (and vice versa) software in order that she could read her study material and compose her essays.

Taking a step backwards, what will she be using for study materials, CD ROMs and DVDs?

Another idea may be to contact the British Disabled Flying Association at:

www.bdfa.net

HTH

2close

DUB-GREG
20th Sep 2006, 17:24
I hope she goes all the way! Best of luck to the lady/girl.

Dyselxia can be very upsetting for the person who has it. My mother has it, but she has over come it with time and worked hard at exams etc and now has many qualifications in counsiling and psychotheripy!

It may be difficult for the girl who's flying but with the RIGHT instructer with the RIGHT attitude she should be fine. It might just take her a little longer to get everything right!

Best of luck and if she reads this board, stick with it!

rhovsquared
20th Sep 2006, 18:02
I have mild dyslexia, sometimes my posts really need a careful eye, it is frustrating when one needs to get through massive amounts of reading like for a pilot's licence, but with patience and a slower reading pace I've managed, but, since the exams are multiple choice it is a bit easier. Eventually you can learn to adapt and understand anything, but it's slightly more difficult...BTW it is the oral exam that's a :mad:-itch:E

Sebt fo ulkc:}
rhov:)