PDA

View Full Version : Home Network setup problems

olympus
19th Sep 2006, 20:39
I'm trying to set up a small home network, with two computers at the moment but adding a third when I've got the first two to work!

I have dial-up internet access and would like to be able to access the internet from the guest computers and also share files and printers. The two computers were both built by myself and run Win XP Pro. One has a separate PCI network card, the other has Fast Ethernet onboard the motherboard. Both show as working correctly in Device Manager. The computers are linked through a Belkin switch/hub/router (not sure of the correct terminology here; I think Belkin call it a LAN switch). The connections are all good and the hub shows all the correct lights.

The problem I have is that despite following the Network Setup wizard on both computers, I cannot see the other computer in 'My Network Places'. I have got myself rather confused with TCP/IP, IP addresses, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and wonder if the problem could be here.

Grateful for any help/suggestions.

Saab Dastard
19th Sep 2006, 22:27
I suggest that you first have a read of this (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx),
then check that you can ping one PC from the other - first using the IP address, then using the PC names.

If all that works, next ensure that you have "File and Printer Sharing" selected on both PCs - in network Properties.

Finally, you may need to adjust your firewall settings to "allow" connections to and from PCs on your home network.

SD

olympus
20th Sep 2006, 12:24
SD

Thanks for that; both computers now recognise each other and I can access the internet from the guest via the host. It was a firewall problem.

What I am not able to do is print from the guest computer. Both computers have 'File and printer sharing' checked as suggested. The webpage you suggested I look at gives the following advice which I don't understand:

"Cannot Print to a Network Printer after Adding ICS
After you add Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), you discover that you can't print. This can happen because ICS uses a Class C subnet with an address range of 198.168.0.x. To solve the problem, give the printer an IP address to match the subnet of the client computers."

How do I give a printer an IP address?

Thanks for your help.

Saab Dastard
20th Sep 2006, 13:23
I assume that you have a printer directly attached to the PC that is connected to the internet.

If that is the case, the advice to which you refer is not relevant - it describes the situation where the printer is directly connected to the network.

I think you need to go into Printers and Faxes on the PC with the printer and "Share" the printer - just like a file share.

SD

olympus
28th Sep 2006, 19:44
Just back from a week away and have got to grips with my network.

I can now access the internet from both guest computers (have added the third computer now) and can print from all. All it required was a click on 'Sharing' after right clicking on the appropriate printer in Printers and Faxes.

Thanks for your help, SD.