PDA

View Full Version : 1st class medical renewal : query

alberto86
19th Sep 2006, 20:37
hello,

I hold a UK JAA class 1 medical with no restrictions and I'm supposed to renew it before November 11th. I was thinking about going to switzerland, since I live close to the swiss border, and get the whole thing done, but how will the CAA know about it? Will i have to send them any paperwork after all? Thank you

niknak
22nd Sep 2006, 15:41
It's my understanding that if you have your medical done outside the UK it becomes a medical certificate issued and regulated by the national authority of that country.
If you wanted a UK JAA/CAA medical there shouldn't be a problem but you would have to supply them with the full information required to issue a UK certificate - in other words, get it done in the UK and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

alberto86
22nd Sep 2006, 19:49
It's my understanding that if you have your medical done outside the UK it becomes a medical certificate issued and regulated by the national authority of that country.
If you wanted a UK JAA/CAA medical there shouldn't be a problem but you would have to supply them with the full information required to issue a UK certificate - in other words, get it done in the UK and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

hi,
maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough. I actually hold a JAA UK Class 1 medical which must be renewed until November 11th.
I once was told that JAA medicals can be revalidated/renewed in any other JAA member state, was it a lie? Anyway, should that eventually be possible, will I have to inform the UK CAA and tell the docs my medical was revalidated in eg. Switzerland.., or do they have any authomatism to exchange informations? Thanks

IRISHPILOT
23rd Sep 2006, 07:01
good morning,
of course the UK CAA will accept the renewal. Make sure you ask for a copy of the medical report (enough for the Irish IAA), maybe take also a copy of every part of the exam to be on the safe side. You then get the medical issued immediately. You should inform your CAA by fax or email, attaching the report. I stand to be corrected if the UK CAA does it differently again...
Depending where in Italy you are, you may want to get a low cost flight to somewhere else (BTL, PRG), where you can simply show up, get the medical, get a couple of 50 cent beers (preferably after!) and pay 55 Euro for the renewal...
cheers, IP