PDA

View Full Version : The PPL Budget Referance (Bible)

JamesTigris
19th Sep 2006, 16:36
Clearly there are many people browsing this board at the planning stages of undertaking professional pilot training. For everyone that starts with (in one way or another) getting a JAR PPL. I am at the stage of trying to go through the financial planning as rigarously as possible (pretty much mandatory in the current climate).
I thought it would be a useful exercise to jot down all of the costs that can be anticipated in obtaining a UK valid PPL. There will be things (no matter how minor) that I will have missed on the list so just post below, even if you don't know or cannot easily predict the actual amount.
As this is a professional pilot training forum I'd urge people who are beyond PPL training to start a seperate thread for the fATPL budget to avoid confusing this one. If it works this thread could provide a useful reference for others looking to budget their training.
My list so far is posted below...
Equipment
Headset
Flight Computer
Training Manuals
Log Book
VFR Aviation map
Kneeboard
Stopwatch
Flight Log Pad
Plotter (or protractor and ruler)
Chinagraph Pencils
Ground School and Examinations
Skills Test
Ground School Instruction
Ground School Exam Fees
R/T Instruction
R/T Test
Aircraft Technical (Oral) Exam
Flight Training
45 Hours dual instruction (X dual, Y solo)
Landing fees: home airfield, landing away fees
Additional hours instruction (higher for part time training)
Administration
CAA License issue fee
Class 1 Medical
Miscellanious
Club Membership
Flying Abroad
Flights
Accommodation
Food
Travel at Destination
Travel Insurance
Visa Issue
Lost wages

planecrazy.eu
19th Sep 2006, 21:41
The welshpool website has all the fee's applicable on there website, appart from the obvious things like food, rental and lost wages.

Looks a good list, some things i have never thought off, club membership and lost wages...

An fATPL list would be good to look at, yet again, there would need to be a modular and integrated list as i assume there will be some differences?

potkettleblack
19th Sep 2006, 21:47
Good list. Some things off the top of my head:-

- flight bag (can be anything from £10 from Argos through to £100's if you want a fancy one)

- fuel surcharges - some clubs charge others don't

- insurances - more important if overseas although to be honest I never got any

- calculator - get a decent one if you intend to go on to do the ATPL's, something like an FX-83 has everything you need and I found the hrs, min, sec function a must for long/lats and time conversions

- manuals - also include a confuser as well

Other things that are nice to have (also probably more dependent on what your club provides) but have found their way into my bag - fuel tester, various checklists, leatherman, torches (big 2 D cell maglite and a smaller pencil version), a snazzy plastic torch with green, blue, orange light filters.