PDA

View Full Version : Botswana Medical Adivce

Water Wings
19th Sep 2006, 07:03
Hey guys (and gals),

A question for those in the know,

What vaccinations would you recommend for someone heading to Bots? (will check with my Dr. too but want to know what everyone else thinks).

What is everyone's opinion on Malaria? Take the medication (for like two years??) or deal with it in other ways?

Cheers everyone.

dyermaker
20th Sep 2006, 19:32
Good question Water Wings :ok:

Been meaning to ask that myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

surveytheworld
21st Sep 2006, 00:54
You might want to check out Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Africa forum and the Health one (near the bottom of the page) - do a search for your query and you'll find there's tons of info.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

I spent 3 months in Francistown Aug-Oct and didn't take anti-malarials, however it was suggested to take Doxy when we went to the Delta area for our time off. None of our group (5) got it, the worst someone had was a mild stomach bug. If you don't do the Doxy thing, use lots of bug spray (bring your own OFF, I don't remember seeing DEET there 2 years ago) and it may be worth having a filled prescription for malaria treatment if you plan on spending days at a time away from civilization. Malaria can be very quick to develop and I've heard of an extreme case where a guy woke up with a mild fever in the morning and was in a coma by the evening. You want to start treating it quickly.

As far as vaccinations hmmm... I remember they checked my Hep A/B (I had a series of shots way back when, but maybe it's just a single shot now, check ASAP though) and Typhoid, and the doctor suggested rabies, but it's a series of shots and I didn't have time for it... Don't touch any of the dogs there (you won't want to anyways!) and you'll be fine. I think that was about it...

There's some pretty good health care folks out there, you always see them driving around in their 4x4 trucks. Lots of good pharmacies, where you can get many medications over the counter that back home you'd need a prescription for... It was one of the only places in Africa I wouldn't have minded being sick (but happy I wasn't!)

Cheers

dyermaker
21st Sep 2006, 11:56
Thanks surveytheworld :ok:

Mahoo
23rd Sep 2006, 08:19
Howsit guys,
Check with your travel doc about which vacs to get, they will go overboard and it costs a fortune but get all the main ones like hepititus and typhoid and all the rest of it because u never know where you end up around there especially since i'm guessen your going to look 4 a flying job?

As for malaria your not gonna want to be taking anti-malaria drugs for 2 yrs. Maun and the delta is fine with very rear cases now and again. When you head further north Zambia you need to be carefull but then if you get it its no big deal as the doctors are all used to it and know how best to treat it, just need to catch it early.

Word on the street those anti-malaria drugs are bad 4 your liver... you'll need that in Maun!!