PDA

View Full Version : Looking for airlines offering part time contracts

galleypower
18th Sep 2006, 14:09
Hi Pprune'ers
We all know that flying 100% for an airline can be exhausting in the long run leaving only little time left for family, social life, hobbies, side-business etc...
I know many pilots who would like to work part time if the company would allow them to do so. I am very interested to know about airlines offering part time contracts and I am sure others would also be interested in such a list. Please add any airline or operator (also GA) you know offering part time work. Thanks!

eggtimer
18th Sep 2006, 19:32
Flybe;

70% contract is 5 on 5 off.

The problem is though, pilots on this complain they work extremely hard for those five days.

pdg75
19th Sep 2006, 08:31
I have a friend who works a 50% roster with BMI Baby :ok:

galleypower
19th Sep 2006, 16:28
thanks guys, I guess usually airlines tend to offer parttime only upon request or after a certain number of years in service.

I know of another two on a reduced roster:

Thomsonfly
EZY Switzerland (80%)

Any others (also from outside the UK) known to anyone?
cheers, galleypower

Mr Angry from Purley
19th Sep 2006, 17:32
DHL AIR at EMA, month on month off

seat 0A
20th Sep 2006, 14:02
KLM has the possibility to fly for 50%, 67%, or 80%.

galleypower
21st Sep 2006, 13:57
Helvetic.com offers 40%,60%,80%....

LJ.543
21st Sep 2006, 17:25
Galleypower.

It is correct to say that Thomsonfly offers part time working but...

First, you have to join as a full timer and then bid for part time which is allocated by seniority. Two entry points at 1st November and 1st May each year. 50% roster pattern based on 3 weeks on - 3 weeks off.

LJ

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 08:51
Does anyone know of any airlines outside the UK who might be interested in a part time captain, particularly mainline Europe or Asia?

monkeyboy
10th Sep 2007, 08:57
Thomas Cook (TCX) used to offer part time positions to new starters pre-merger with MyTravel (MYT). The deal was that for 80% salary you worked the summer until the end of October and then came back the next April full time but whether you could stay part time or not, I do not know.

MB

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 09:04
MB - thanks very much.

I was thinking more along the lines of 50% each month every month..............

Denti
10th Sep 2007, 09:22
Every airline in germany has to offer parttime flying, otherwise you can just sue them for parttime with a nearly guaranteed chance on winning (companies in germany are required by law to offer parttime schemes). However in most cases you have to join as fulltimer and then bid for parttime which is allocated according seniority. Another thing is that most airlines dont take DECs so you would have to start over as an FO (one big exception is Air Berlin).

Parttime schemes are different within each company, in my outfit (dba, dont take DECs) we have 75% and 50% schemes on a monthly bases, meaning you get a certain amount of so called "parttime days" per month, those days are treated as non-touchable off days and are allocated as the same block of days each month.

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 09:28
Denti,

Thanks very much for taking the time to give me a picture of the situation in Germany. I have spent many a happy time there and love the country and the people.

Luke SkyToddler
10th Sep 2007, 10:02
Easyjet does 50% and 75% part time rosters, although I believe you have to serve a certain minimum length of time as a full time employee before you can request part time.

FL470
10th Sep 2007, 10:31
Helvetic has different part time contracts - as already mentioned above. But compared to your fellow pilots who are employed on a full-time contract you work your :mad: off...

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 13:06
Thanks, guys.

Purlon
12th Sep 2007, 17:05
My employer does a 50% arrangement

Pm me for info

Admiral346
12th Sep 2007, 18:06
Lufthansa and Lufthansa City Line (regional with BAEs and CRJs) are looking for cockpit staff like crazy. They do pay for your type rating and offer parttime, just as Denti mentioned. And they are fair and social companies to work for...

zerograv
12th Sep 2007, 18:53
Admiral

Aren't we forgeting that fluency in German is mandatory? :hmm:

Cheers,
Zero