PDA

View Full Version : Any advise for a New Joiner?

bigbeerbelly
17th Sep 2006, 01:54
My Induction Day for DEFO 744F is fast approaching and I regret to admit that I have not been in the books as hard as I was while preparing for phase I & II interviews. If anyone who currently works at Cathay could give me some advise on what I really need to review before arriving in Cathay City, I would very much appreciate it. I know I need to write several exams in Performance and Aviation Law for the CAD. Should I be hitting the books hard to brush up on Performance, etc? I had a good read through CAP413, anything else? If anyone has any, "If only someone had told me... ,my life at Cathay would have been so much easier" advise, I would appreciate hearing those comments as well. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sincerely,

BBB

joejet727
17th Sep 2006, 02:04
Don't worry about studying prior to your induction day. There is more than enough time to go through the material. Actually, you don't want to get too far ahead - the program is well laid out for you, but a lot of self study. They don't want you burned out before you get here. And once your hear they want you to take care of yourself while your in training. Bring lots of causal gear for studying in your hotel room, and workout gear for the gym - hard to find western size running shoes and workout shorts here - Shirts are everywhere. Relax and enjoy the flight to Hong Kong - the service is exceptional - best flight I ever had as a passenger in 20 years!!!

Best Regads

PS....Don't worry about the CAD exams!!!

psy clops
17th Sep 2006, 03:45
Mate there is not that much that you can do before you arrive. The ground school is run at a frantic rate at times - but there is enough time to get everything done in the allocated time.

Basically - don't worry too much. You'll be busy, but it's not impossible.

hth

Psy

joejet727
17th Sep 2006, 05:21
My advise is to enjoy your time before your board the Cathay flight to Hong Kong. It was the best flight I have ever had as a passenger in 20 years!!! As for preparing, don't worry about studying in advance. The first two weeks have you writing the HKG CAD exams, and you will be well prepared during your time here for sucess. As for anything else, they have an excellent program laid out for you - I was told not to go too far in advance, but don't fall behind either. You will have enough time during the program. Lots of self study required, but you already did that to get to where you are now. As for your stay here in the hotel, it you wish to take full advantage of the gym, make sure you have some good workout shoes and shorts - hard to get for larger "Western" sizes without going deep into Hong Kong. Everything else you need is only a 5 minute bus ride to the shopping mall in Tung Chung.
Cathay City awaits

Superdragon
17th Sep 2006, 07:55
Hit the books whilst you're there, enjoy the ride and if you're even a semi-average bloke, you'll do okay!!! :}

100% Ng
17th Sep 2006, 08:47
Don't worry about the CAD exams. They teach you everything you need to know (wink wink). Everyone seems to be getting around 90% or more.

bigbeerbelly
17th Sep 2006, 13:01
Thanks guys!

I really appreciate all the advise. You have helped put me at ease.

Cheers,
BBB

Max Reheat
17th Sep 2006, 23:42
Hey, bbb.
Good to hear you are nearly here. I agree with everything the guys have said.
Cheers... Max