PDA

View Full Version : Flying or handling

Bazoots
16th Sep 2006, 21:22
Allo chaps.

Just after some advice if I may. Can someone tell me the difference between the following books:

Flying the big jets
Handling the big jets

Just wondering what the difference is apart from the price. Any suggestions on which one to get would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all advance.

X

rampvet
16th Sep 2006, 22:18
To prepare for the CX interviews you'll want HANDLING t.b.j. by D.P. Davies. 3rd edition, ISBN 0 903083 01 9. Usually in stock at Aviation World at YVR and YYZ.
Loads of jet aerodynamic theory to get into your head.

FLYING t.b.j. by Stanley Stewart is also a good book, but it's written more for the general public. Explains in basic terms how you operate the plane on a long flight, from what I remember.

flyer_spotter
17th Sep 2006, 02:44
My friend at Cathay suggested me to buy the Flying the Big Jets, since I am a beginner. The long haul flight in that book is from London to Boston.

I heard the Handling the Big Jets is more into technical stuff...so I think that would be better for Cathay interview.

Milt
17th Sep 2006, 04:33
Flying in the context of this thread can be equated to the Driving of a motor vehicle.

Handling is usually confined to the determination of flying characteristics within an already defined flight envelope and is usually performed by experienced TPs having a wide appreciation of what is or what is not acceptable for the least skillful to manage.

TruBlu351
18th Sep 2006, 14:09
FTBJ is a very simple basic book that's really written to give beginners a look into large commercial aircraft operations.

If you are looking to get a job with Cathay, then HTBJ is where it's at.

You can get them both on ebay. FTBJ cost me US$1 and HTBJ will cost you about US$50+ for a 2nd hand copy.

Sike
19th Sep 2006, 19:10
You can get HTBJ from Amazon.com for about $40 US and with free shipping. That's where I got my copy... it will take a couple of weeks for delivery though as I think they get the book from another merchant.