PDA

View Full Version : "The Admiral" at Ascension

Navaleye
16th Sep 2006, 14:30
Did anyone on PPRuNE encounter Capt Bob McQueen RN at Ascension during Op Corporate? Aside from the colourful metaphors quoted in in Vulcan 607 (which still crack me up) he seems to have made a mark in military folklore. Does anyone have anything else to relate about him. Sadly I never met him.

Quote from page 222 of Vulcan 607.

Sqn Leader Montgomery arriving at Ascension and meeting said SNO.

"Who the f**k are you?"

"Squadron Leader Montgomery Sir"

"What the f**k are you doing here?"

"Vulcans sir!"

"Sort yourselves out son. I haven't got time for you. I don't know why the f****king hell you're here and I don't know what the the f****ing hell you're going to do, but get on with it."

Captain Bob McQueen RN greeted all new arrivals to Wideawake with equal warmth and Monty was no exception.

adrian mole
16th Sep 2006, 22:43
I'm afraid I can't even though I was there for most of the conflict. I do remember a Naval Commander who was in charge of all SH Ops including the RAF SAR Sea King and crew who was quite a bully (My impression - next door listening) and the initial guy in charge of the campsite at George Bay was a Fleet Chief who we all called Popeye. I stil have the Nany Issue camp Bed./Hammock in my garage - a good steal!!

Data-Lynx
17th Sep 2006, 09:15
A magnificent man. He had been my CO at RNAS Portland and I believe he is unique in enjoying UK command of Air Bases with the shortest and the longest runways. He was sent to ASI to 'take charge' of both Wideawake and what was to be the first modern outpost of expeditionary logistics.

His response to 'mission creep' and very keen but awfully confused ASI visitors was legendary. It wasn't just light blue who were turned around and sent back. Dark blue suffered the same rapid turn round, with a 'don't need you; take the next flight north.' One arrived as a recognition expert to embark and 'help the Force'; he was told to 'recognise that' (the bird he had just arrived on) and get on it, back to to the UK.

Three essential, highly classified computer tapes arrived at ASI by hand of officer (an eager WE fanatic but not SHAR). This WE's brief was to helo out to the three T42 destroyers and supervise the load into the ship's computers. He had passed the Capn Bob test and, waiting at the pan in a smart and ship-shape fashion, was faced with a young, scruffy, bearded junior officer who was fiddling around, trying to sort out the best location for his Browning (wearing it completely unnecessarily for the first time. Please remember this was the advance team running south a month ahead of the Hermes/Invincible deployment. In short, he was not impressed, especially when he was told the aircraft was full; we could take the three tapes but not him. He very reluctantly released his UK Eyes tapes without signature, on the strict instructions I was to return for him; his work was vital. I did agree to look out for him on my next sortie to ASI, but my brief had been for one flight only. My next flight into ASI was to be 22 years later.

Onboard, a signal between my CO and Capn Bob solved any potential unpleasantness and I believe the WE fanatic had a receive only conversation at ASI before returning home.

6Z3
17th Sep 2006, 12:16
Knew him at Portland when he was the Captain. He knew every officer and senior rate (and many of the junior rates) by name. This, at a time when I was struggling with the names of my own Division!!

Well loved by everyone.

Navaleye
17th Sep 2006, 12:34
Thank you gentlemen, any more Capn Bob stories are much appreciated! A quick search of Google came up with

This (http://www.whittlespublishing.com/nautical/island-base.html)

Which I have just ordered. Looking forward to another good read.

Mmmmnice
17th Sep 2006, 16:11
The only dit I can remember was of Capn Bob greeting a padre (can't remember the name) at the bottom of the VC10 steps..

"Who are you?"
"I'm padre Smith"
"Why are you here?"
"I'm here for the spritual welfare of the men"
"You're not required; back up those steps"

The poor churchman didn't even set foot on the tarmac! The reasoning behind this was that there should be no more personnel on the island than absolutely necessary - a good bit of naval thinking, but a quite unfamiliar state af affairs compared to the light blue 'lets invite everyone' approach!
On the subject of the SH ops - I recall that the man in charge was Commander Tony Woods - an engineer whose delivery could be little abrupt, but who did a good job given the disparate types (Seaking, Wessex and Chinook) and the somewhat unknown quantity of Chinook capability. When presented with a days lifting stats, converted from metric tonnes into lbs, he announced that the figure must be wrong as it was "far too much"!!

Art Field
17th Sep 2006, 17:08
Casting back many a year to 82 one remembers the good Captain(RN) as a James Robertson Justice without, I think, the beard. He took no prisoners. When Concertina City was erected any attempt to use permanent accommodation facilities he stopped immediately and left us to the delights of communal showers and crappers, when one flushed, everyone flushed. I do not remember him taking any notice of our mostly nocturnal activities as far as his inspection timings were concerned. He certainly generated an RN influence well above their numerical size.

A2QFI
17th Sep 2006, 17:28
Never met the man but he sounds like a power mad t:mad: er. Lots of people have heard of him but did anybody like him or think he was doing a good job?

Navaleye
18th Sep 2006, 00:37
Data-Lynx,

What a bloke, I didn't expect any replies to my post. I showed this thread to some old mates and there were tears of laughter flowing down old faces. Good on you Capn Bob. More please :)

mary_hinge
18th Sep 2006, 07:25
I remember him, or Popeye, being IC the camp site in the car park at 2 boats village. He also appeared at the lectures to the Victor ground crew about aircraft deck operations as it was felt that the ramp at Wideawake was busier and more crowded than any carrier, with added flying gravel and ash. (gave a real meaning to “ramp rash”)

Does any one else recall being paid "Rate 1s" as no RAF accomodation was available, lasted all of 5 days:ok:

peterperfect
18th Sep 2006, 08:51
This thread is about one of the best leaders you are likely to have served with; determined, mission-focused yet compassionate and logical when he felt individuals were not 'whole ship' types.
The dit about really knowing each and everyone under his command it so true especially at Capts Table when many Divisional Officers were fired questions about the Sailor and his family.
I wasnt there at the time but I heard that early on in the conflict a light blue crew arrived at Ascension and were not happy with their tin-roofed accomodation and he politely requested they to come to his office to discuss, to find a couple of ponchos and sleeping bags waiting !!

Maple 01
18th Sep 2006, 10:18
So a bit of a chopper then?

Bismark
18th Sep 2006, 17:03
Capn Bob sounds like a real output focussed officer who took no c**p from anyone ie if you were needed for the war effort then you stayed if you weren't then you went home. I had heard that the RAF tried (did?) to send a more senior Groupie out to pull rank but that trick failed - any info on this?

Art Field
18th Sep 2006, 17:15
As far as I know Gp Capt Jerry Price (Marhams Stn Cdr) was there throughout Corporate, I am not aware of any attempt to replace him. I fear the Captain is in danger of being gifted beyond his non the less capable talents. He did a good job but so did a lot of other people at that time.

Navaleye
7th Oct 2006, 13:45
Having just read Captain Bob's book, I see why he had to do what he did. Everybody wanted to be involved in the only war going. He did not have the water and accommodation going for everyone who felt they could lend a hand. A recommended read. I'll post a few snippets when I get a chance.

Union Jack
30th Jul 2012, 22:20
And, sadly, here's the epilogue to that book:

Capt Bob McQueen - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9439356/Capt-Bob-McQueen.html)

BZ and RIP Bob - I'm delighted to say that I was instrumental in ensuring that he received command of DIOMEDE.

Jack

Genstabler
31st Jul 2012, 11:11
A2QFI
How uncharitable of you. Comes across as anything but a tosser to me. First class wartime naval officer with considerable experience of real conflict and absolutely the right man for the job.
BZ and RIP

Q-RTF-X
31st Jul 2012, 13:38
That obit is damn good reading

goudie
31st Jul 2012, 13:49
Yes, I too found the obit. made interesting reading...most certainly a larger than life man.

BEagle
31st Jul 2012, 14:22
The way he sorted out the cod-thieves' boats during Cod War 3 was suitably aggressive and he certainly didn't tolerate their interference lightly! Sound chap indeed.

A pity that Icelandic blackmail over Keflavik caused the UK to throw the towel in though.....

I once met one of these RN types in charge of a remote island. Or rather an atoll. I had flown out to qualify the squadron AARI so that he could convert the other pilots in the night receiver role against the TriStar. However, the DetCo had other ideas "All yours, mate, you're the DetCo now - I'm off!"......and promptly legged it in the TriStar which had flown us in.

However, in his haste he'd neglected to tell me about this RN chap, so after a few days I was summoned to the presence.

Nattily attired in his tropical whites with long shorts and long white socks, he told me that he was in charge and that all BritMil activity had to go through him. Quite what he thought he was in charge of, I'm not sure - most of the atoll was occupied by the Yanks, with their B-52 detachment and the usual facilities. The UK probably had little more than a local met office, a wireless station and a teleprinter....but it was British territory and part of the Empire on which the sun never set, in his eyes...:rolleyes:

So for the next few days, he received copious signal copies and memos about every conceivable activity. To add spice, some of the signals were rather highly classified and were quite urgent...so he soon found himself being pestered night and day...:E Whereupon he relented and allowed me to run the Det., just as long as he was 'kept in the picture'.

I rather gained the impression that he'd probably been there since the days of Nelson and that the Admiralty were quite happy to let him stay there ad infinitum!